"cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" on Intel i7 ivy-bridge

11 posts in this topic

OK I am using VMWorkstation 8.0.3 and I have a new i7-3610QM cpu, and after following multiple guides and instructions to install 10.7.4 I keep getting the "cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" error. I can post what ever files you need if you tell me what to post.

Thanks for the help.

The usual things would be useful:

1. How did you unlock Workstation?

2. Are you using a retail version of OSX?

3. Attach (DO NOT POST) copy of the vmware.log file.

I have attached my log

And the unlocker I am using is VMware Unlocker 1.1.0 by Dave Parsons 2011-2012

And as for the version of 10.7.4 I don't know I have 2, one that appears to be already installed the one from this youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWivc2XcpP8

And thank you for the help.

Update: I am not able to get to the apple logo but it just hangs.

vmware.txt

• 2 weeks later...

OK I am using VMWorkstation 8.0.3 and I have a new i7-3610QM cpu, and after following multiple guides and instructions to install 10.7.4 I keep getting the "cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" error. I can post what ever files you need if you tell me what to post.

Thanks for the help.

I have the same issue but with a 3570k on a Z77. Have you found a solution yet? Does 10.7.3 work for you?

• 1 month later...

After a long evening of trying many many different combos, I've found my new Ivy Bridge Z77 motherboard with i5 3750K will allow ESXi 5 u1 to install Lion but only if you start out as Mac OS X Server 10.6 64 bit with the CPUID changed as above. Migrating a previously working Lion form a Duo 2 Core setup didn't work. FYI, I used a previously imaged VMDK from the InstallESD.dmg in Lion 10.7.2.

So happy to get this working I did a password reset and both quizzes to let me post!