2004 PowerMac G5 - Folder and ? Icon

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So, I got this case off ebay for £40, planning to build a hackintosh inside it. When it got here, however, it was fully kitted with the logic board and everything else, except the hard drive.

Naturally, first thing I did was plugged it in and fired it up. I just got an icon on the screen, a folder with a flashing ? and the Finder smiley icon. Googling around told me this means it can't find anything to boot from.

My next step was to try putting in a blank hard drive - no change, and then a hard drive with Snow Leopard* installed - still no change

* I know snow leopard doesn't run on PPC. I was just seeing if it'd try and do anything.

Its also worth noting that holding keys at startup doesn't do anything (ie it wont open disk manager etc - not sure if it needs an OS to do that maybe?) - If I hold click the drive DOES open.

So, anyone know what else I can try? I'd love to get this thing up and running if I can!

You need a hard drive and a retail Mac OS X DVD no later than version Leopard. Boot the DVD while holding the Option key until you see the DVD icon. Select it to boot. When it boots, you will answer a language question. On the next screen, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Select the hard drive and partition it for one or more partitions. Make sure one partition is for Mac OS X (Journaled). When done formatting, exit Disk Utility and select the freshly formatted partition to install Mac OS X onto. Complete the installation.

Its also worth noting that holding keys at startup doesn't do anything (ie it wont open disk manager etc - not sure if it needs an OS to do that maybe?) - If I hold click the drive DOES open.

I don't think you've given it anything to show in Disk Manager. It might need something it actually recognizes as a bootable device.

Have you tried zapping PRAM? Command - Option - P - R

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@ Flenix

Immediately after the startup sound, press and hold the key combination Command-Option-O-F Release the keys if and when you see a white screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware."

But as rlf says, beyond this, it needs a recognisable Mac OS X version to boot into.......whether on an OS X Install DVD or OS X installed on an internal HDD or on an external bootable Firewire HDD........