Need urgent Hackintosh help for my Dell Vostro 1500

vividcode

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

I am newbie to Hackintosh.

I want to set up my 4 year old Dell Vostro 1500 as fully working OS X running latest OS from Apple, which I think is Lion.

(I may chose to reboot it with windows xp / vista - but that's an optional choice).

My end objective is to set this up as iOS development machine - so require all development tools like cocoa - with their latest versions.

I already read http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88345 which is quite a success story, but I am skeptical about its success in my case.

Reasons:

1) It installs 10.5.2 Leopard w/ Vanilla 9.2.0 Kernel - which I think is pretty old - and I will have to go through long path to get to the latest OS + development environment, I think?

2) This post is pretty old. It wasn't possible to follow it through, and I do not know what may have changed between 2008 - 2012.

I also want to know how much purchase I will have to do, in order to go fully legal appstore publishing way.

(I visited apple's own store to buy OS, but it seems to have upgrade things for mac only - while here I am talking about plain installation - right from formatting my vista laptop. I read about iATKOS - but again I am confused where do I begin, which all DVDs (or their images) do I need, and so on.

If anyone could point me to where this sequence is described (with specific OS/software names), would highly appreciate.

I am attaching my laptop's configuration zip + it has broadcom 1395 Wireless + Intel Mobile 965 chipset Graphics card.

Thanks!

-Vividcode

P.S. - Having latest OS (Lion) is not crucial as far as it allows me to develop apple iOS apps and upload on appstore.

At the same time, as anyone can understand, if I have 2 options to install Lion vs Leopard (both successful) - I would definitely go for Lion, after considering cost / efforts.

Vostro-1500-configuration.zip

To do things the way Apple wants you to do them, we have to look at things in reverse. Apple wants you to buy Lion from the Appstore for $30. So you need to be running a version of OSX that can access the Appstore. Those choices are 10.6.7 or 10.6.8. Apple only sells a DVD for 10.6.3 for $30. So, you need to install 10.6.3 then upgrade it to 10.6.7 and then you can buy Lion from the Appstore. When you get the Lion from the Appstore, because we are talking hackintosh, you can't install it without going through a preparation procedure to get the files located correctly so they will install. That means you really should have a flash drive that is around 8 GB or more.

Once you have your retail 10.6.3 DVD, I suggest you read this guide to help you get 10.6.3 installed and upgraded to 10.6.7: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=269841

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks!

I spent much of the week understanding all the lingos in your link, and getting my stuff together.

Currently my place doesn't have a retailer nearby. Also I am in bit hurry and can't wait till actually ordering it from anywhere.

Can Lion (or any prerequisite that can get me started) it be downloaded from apple directly?

Will this work: http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Mac-OS-X-Snow-Leopard/3000-18513_4-90306.html ?

Thanks,

-vividcode

Currently my place doesn't have a retailer nearby. Also I am in bit hurry and can't wait till actually ordering it from anywhere

The 10.6.3 DVD can be bought from the online Apple Store (apple.com).

Can Lion (or any prerequisite that can get me started) it be downloaded from apple directly?

You can only download Lion from the App Store (not the Apple Store) once you are running 10.6.7 or 10.6.8

No, this is just an updater that updates an existing 10.6.7 installation to 10.6.8.

The Apple Store is a retail establishment for walking into to buy Apple products. They will sell you a 10.6.3 DVD. They also have an online store that can be accessed at the Apple website (apple.com). So, you can buy the DVD there and they will ship it to you.

The App Store is a program that you run from inside Mac OS X that allows you to buy, download and install software. Lion can only be obtained through the App Store. You have to be running 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 or higher in order to run the App Store.

• Like 1

OK, I have made some progress on this one, here is the summary:

1) Got iAtkos L2 dvd burnt

2) Started installing using the same.

I have reached past language selection screen (selected english and press next).

Afterwards, I faced a blank white screen with background image of 'install Mac x'. It has 2 buttons: continue and back.

However I cannot use keyboard or mouse - and cannot proceed to disk utility (as I assume will be the next step).

[Meanwhile, before language selection screen, the I saw this error (since I have booted with -v):

"BootCacheControl : Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

Bug: launchctl.c:2408 (24957):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, 0_RDONLY | 0_EXLOCK | 0_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) l= -1

But somehow it went past this, so I assumed everything is fine.]

Should I use any additional boot flags?

Mine is a standard ps/2 pointing device and standard microsoft ps/2 keyboard - came as part of dell vostro 1500 configuration.

(From Unknown Devices tool):

Mouse:

* Windows Description - Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device

* Hardware ID - PNP0F13

* Device Category (Class) - Mice and other pointing devices

* Enumerator - ACPI

Keyboard:

* Windows Description - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

* Hardware ID - PNP0303

* Device Category (Class) - Keyboards

* Enumerator - ACPI

Please help!

OK, I got around keyboard/mouse hang by rebooting to my original windows vista OS for once, and it went ahead smoothly then on.

I went past Disk utility.

I successfully formatted the entire disk drive.

Closed Disk util.

Pressed Next.

Skipped customizations.

The next screens told me it will take 12 minutes to install Lion.

First 2 minutes, mouse, DVD and were active.

Then everything went frozen again.

I rebooted, re-erased everything again, came back to same screen.

Its been more than 20 minutes, I see no activity.

I searched online, but never found anyone facing hang/freeze on this screen.

Anyone has clues? Is there a way I can get verbose for this issue?

Thanks for everyone's time!

-vC