Just staring, NAS Project

RapidEyE

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Thanks for reading.

I would like some pointers on customising my NAS Router which uses Busybox

The router specs are here: http://www.looqs.com....php?code=MB201

The company is no longer in business, so there is no support and no further updates, Hence why I want to do this myself.

I am willing to put some honest effort into this, I have worked with terminal before and am familiar with some basic nix commands.

I have an Ubuntu VM setup to work from, But can use whatever is advised.

What I expect from this is a much better understanding of the linux experience, and a kick ass NAS router (maybe).

What I would like to improve/fix:

Rebuild the disk image to include:

Better/updated kernel

Improved network bandwidth (tweaks/driver updates?)

802.11n, Mini PCI card (drivers)

Any other driver/firmware updates

NTFS support

Custom GUI

I have uploaded the contents of the install CD here: http://www.mediafire...1hql9wbr492e4ta

If anyone can keep me on track, I would be a very happy chappy!!

My first stop I think is, Getting the disk image extracted and understand how to work with it?

Cheers

Hi RapidEye,

It looks like an interesting project.

I do have a few initial questions.

1. It has two drive bays. What type and size drives do you have installed? is. Brand and model

2. How old are the drives and how much time do they have on them.

3. Are you going to configure them as Raid 1 or 0?

That is a start. I will download the install software and see what I can figure out in that direction.

I will be traveling to Germany in a day or two. I may be off the net for as much as two weeks. The last time I was over there it took forever to get connected.

fos

Hi fos,

The drives are Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB, SATA 3Gbps, 32Mb Cache, 7200rpm, They are 3 years old, only ever used as storage drives and never for OS.

Right now I have them as JBOD.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. It does sound like a fun project. I'm leaving for Germany tomorrow. I'll be back as soon as I get internet set up in my apartment.

fos