10.6.8 keeps crashing on a Dell Vostro1700

3 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I've installed OS X 10.6.5 ages ago on a Dell Vostro 1700. With that first install, i've once upgraded to 10.6.8 but had problems with ps/2 randomly not working anymore and at the time that was an issue, so reinstalled to 10.6.5 and upgraded to 10.6.7 and happily lived with that.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Wanting to install Lion, I ran into a few issues and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] really wanted 10.6.8 as a starting point. So again, I tried to upgrade to 10.6.8 which just causes random! crashes. The furthest I've gotten was the Graphical install screen of Lion but a crash followed there too.

What I have tried so far, is creating a Lion install USB (harddisk) via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] create a Lion install USB (harddisk) via myhack and various attempts upgrading to 10.6.8 with the most promissing one from http://sites.google....l-inspiron-1525 however this one keeps panic-ing on "no HPET available in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement", which is odd, because I did fix my dsdt to a proper hpet enabled device.

So the big question is, why can I run 10.6.7 without issues, but anything higher keeps failing randomly (or so it seems).

I dualboolboot OSX and ubuntu and as bootloader i have grub2 on one harddisk, and chameleon on the second, either/or do not help.

I use 32bit kernel mostly, because the b44 driver doesn't work in 64bit and wifi does not work at all ;)

I've tried to get my OSX as vanilla as possible, and always tried to get DSDT fixes to stay as vanilla as possible. There are a few things that do not work, sleep/restart/shutdown etc but those are minor things I have learned to quite happily without.

I've attached my lspci output, which matches nozyczek vostro1525 very much ;), my current dsdt and the original dsdt from the latest bios that's on there. The things that have changed from the original Vostro1700 specs is that I've swapped out ram a year and a half ago, 4gb instead of the default 1gb and replaced the slow 1.4ghz cpu with a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo T9500 (penryn).

Sorry for the long post, I tried to be complete :) If this post is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it to DSDT where it should be if not here.

Thank you,

Oliver

lspci.txt

vostro_1700.dsl.txt

vostro_1700_orig.dsl.txt

work on upgrading to 10.6.8 since it's far more similar to Lion than 10.6.7, if you can't upgrade to 10.6.8, Lion will be very difficult. Add -v to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist so you will always boot verbose, this way even while running on the desktop, if it crashes you will get the kernel backtraces on the screen instead of just the "restart" in multiple languages image, to help identify what the cause is. Once you know that fixing it will be much easier, if needed take a picture of it or something. Chances are it's the same/similar problem for Lion too.

work on upgrading to 10.6.8 since it's far more similar to Lion than 10.6.7, if you can't upgrade to 10.6.8, Lion will be very difficult. Add -v to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist so you will always boot verbose, this way even while running on the desktop, if it crashes you will get the kernel backtraces on the screen instead of just the "restart" in multiple languages image, to help identify what the cause is. Once you know that fixing it will be much easier, if needed take a picture of it or something. Chances are it's the same/similar problem for Lion too.

When booting via grub2, it always starts with -v :) But also with chameleon I've always booted with -v. At the moment, 10.6.8 update always seems to crash with the no HPET available. I just did a fresh clone of 10.6.7 to my destination disk and will install 10.6.8 again, without a DSDT at all. I can always manually add my dsdt again. After the 10.6.8 install I will reboot, if it randomly crashes again, I will use nozyczek script again from OSX 10.6.7 to 'fix' the 10.6.8 drive. With whatever it installs. Will post update then :)

Minor update; installed 10.6.8, restarted to my other old setup, and used nozyczek's install 'script' to do an auto-setup. However it constantly fails at:

"No HPETs available in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement".

Now i've googled this error before, and it basically means your HPET isn't setup properly. DSDT has HPET setup properly I think (I have removed IRQ{15} from it now. I have added NULLcpupowermanagement and that fixed it. So i'll open a new thread how to 'patch' my dsdt for appleintelcpupowermanamgent after some heavy googling ;)