GA-EP45-UD3P host of problems after install

mrsentraser

14 posts in this topic

Life hacker build that I was happy with for the most part running snow leopard. I'd like to get Lion running on the system, but I've had no luck.

System Specs: EP45-UD3P rev. 1 , Intel C2Q6700 stock speed, 8Gb Crucial DDR-2 (only 4gb for install) HD is a seagate 2.5 SATA drive. Graphics card XFX 6870 (same issues I had with 9800GTX) I used the 9800GTX with Snow Leopard and it was working good. Since you can't use ATI with Snow Leopard and I wanted to upgrade to a newer Gfx card I tried using Lion first on the 9800GTX, then just upgraded to the ATI hoping it would fix this issues... it did not. This is a dual monitor setup!

Method Used: created Lion installer thumbdrive using ###### and Lion downloaded from app store. I boot with the same bios settings used for Snow Leopard. Install to a fresh harddrive. I setup as GPT, 1 Partition, OSX journaled. Install takes approximately 20 minutes. Reboot, boot from flash drive, pick the new lion install (Macintosh HD), and get only 1 display. configure with a generic user (i'll be using migration assistant later) As soon as I tell it what keyboard I have, if I click on finder it freezes. I constantly get finder freezes. When I open applications or click on "about my mac" I get a strange video issue. Animations are fine, but applications will sometimes load as ghosts. They are almost like watermarks on the screen. I can still interact with them, but they are faint and usually smaller than they should be. closing them and restarting them sometimes fixes this issue. When "about my mac" is up, sometimes when I close it the image remains behind... but it's not able to be interacted with. I'll install ###### thinking this resolves the problems, but it doesn't. I'm tried just about everything under ######. To my understanding, I should only have to select:

The option to fix permissions (System Utilities)

Kexts: Audio --- ALCXXXHDA, appleHDArollback, then the 889a under non-dsdt HDA-Enabler (onboard sound)

Network --- Lrn2macs realtek drivers

bootloaders - Chimera is the only choice

Custom --- pick the macpro 3.1

On a reboot, I can start without the flash drive. Sound works, but youtube/flash is choppy. Finder continues to freeze, applications still load as ghosts intermittently. I've even tried upgrading to 10.7.3 and before restarting running ###### with the same options above. Same effect after.

In all my installs, I did randomly get it to work. System was running good, but during migration assistant I inadvertantly over wrote the /extra or /extensions folder with the snow leopard files and it kernel panic'd.

Anyone with the same setup got it working correctly and willing to post exactly what you had to do? I've search for days and read some success stories.

• 3 weeks later...

If I boot cpus=1 , it seems to work fine without issue. The problem is that everything runs off 1 core... despite the system seeing 4 total. Anyone know of issues with a core2extreme chip? Dual core chip works fine out of the box, and doesn't require the boot flag.

pci root uid is 1 ..should be 0

On Gigabyte EP45 series boards it's usually 1, on ASUS boards it's usually 0.

Chameleon normally has no problem detecting it correctly on Gigabyte boards, at least if you use the latest BIOS which has a more OS X friendly DSDT.

• Like 1

If you've updated to latest bios, I can almost guarantee there is a patched DSDT available at the same place you got your other installation "tools". Not sure what version of OSX added 6870 support, but you will probably need to manually set a frame buffer and # of ports in chameleon for it to work 100%, glitch free, all ports. Set GraphicsEnabler=Yes and then correct framebuffer probably gonna be either Gabba, Bulrushes or Duckweed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have it up and ruining on 3.15 Core GA-45T-UT3P with ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series. I used Kakwalk method http://www.kakewalk.se/.

I used following kexts

ALC885_889a.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

Still trying to update to 10.8.4

10.8.4! How long was I asleep for?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem. My 8800gt & q6600 went on my EP45-UD3P v1.0 and my 10.7.4 has been running perfect since 10.5.3. Then I bought a xfx 6870 and had a qx9650 which gave me the same issues with windows of apps englarging slowly just as the same as in About Mac in the apple menu. Then i returned and bought a evga 570gtx and again same issues. Even with 10.8. I've tryed npci=0x3000, pciuidroot-1. I think it has to with my cpu.

• 11 months later...

MY SOLUTION:

http://www.osx86.net/view/3621-tscsync_cpus=1_issue_permanent_fix_ml.html

This handled the problem, all CPU cores are working, no graphical glitches, no lagging, no KPs anymore. Prior to this my rig would only work properly with "cpus=1" or "cpus=2".

QX9650

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

2x2GB ram

GTX570

I'm using iAtkos ML2, during OSX install, I should have configured this "TSCsync patch" to install - if I would have known at that time, that limiting the cores would be only solution for stability.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!