Apple keeps crashing help

kyleg40

11 posts in this topic

I am running iaktos l2 on a quad core..It has a sb live card in it..All the drivers etc been running fine, then 1 day ago..In the middle of just sitting there the square with all the languages pops up..It now does it everytime the computer is running..It doesn't do it right away..I can be doing something, or nothing on it..How can I figure out whats causing this? I cannot figure out what I am running that would cause this thing to crash suddenly..It hasn't given any probs? Do I just need to do a reinstall?

Its not during boot thats the odd part, just sitting there 2 hours in not doing anything the little brown square pops up, or pops up during downloads etc, its so random its hard to figure out..

Would it be helpful if I went into the console after the next crash and posted it as a doc? Would it show the issues?

Its not during boot thats the odd part, just sitting there 2 hours in not doing anything the little brown square pops up, or pops up during downloads etc, its so random its hard to figure out..

Would it be helpful if I went into the console after the next crash and posted it as a doc? Would it show the issues?

Maybe the sleep kext file is missing or invalid...but to be sure, post a pic of what happens on the next crash and we could see what is not working for you...

Well I changed the 9850 quad to a 6700 quad cpu..I am going to see if it might have been a bad chip with it..when it crashes, it doesn't say anything..Just the brown box appearing in 5 different languages to reboot etc..The console might have the issues with it..It was even worse when I tried to update this to 10.7.3..It won't even finish the update without crashing..Thank goodness for carbon copy...If it crashes tonight I will try to take a pic of it..

What artur-pt wanted you to do is boot verbose mode.When you boot that way,when the kernel panic occurs,it will show up across the whole screen covering the backtrace of kexts and dependencies that caused it and you can take a photo of the screen and post it here for review.When booted regularly,it only shows you those "languages".Its not the chip that is the culprit..And no,there is no sleep kext for Lion.

Right I understand booting in -v mode..Problem is..It isn't crashing on boot..I will be in the middle of something and boom the square pops up and my screen goes darker..it hasn't happened since I changed to a intel quad 6700..I am wondering if it just didn't like the 9650 chip or might be a bad sector on it..

Ok the problem was the chip..Even weirder this took the update to 10.7.3...Which none have for 1 1/2 months...I have no idea except it was a clean install....Asus P5kpl-am/ps...Intel 6700 Quad Core 2.6..4gb DDr2, 8800GT 512mb, Sound Blaster Live Card..And a generic ethernet card..Couldn't get any drivers to work with the ethernet on the board..everything works 100%..My Geekbench score was 7104 in 64bit Geekbench

And no,there is no sleep kext for Lion.

Actually there is a SleepEnabler for Lion.

kyleg please post a pic of the KP. :)