App Crash 10.6.8

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I successfully installed SL 10.6.8 on my GA-990FXA-UD3. Installed Andy Vandijcks kernel V8_R2 and booting in 64-bit userland and I have not yet patched my dyld binaries (failed everytime because of system freeze after entering update_dyld_shared_cache).

I installed voodooHDA 2.7.3 (newest, also tried 2.7.2 which didn't work also).

I also downloaded Google Chrome.

If I boot my "mac" with 64bit userland I cannot use VoodooHDA prefPane and I do not have Audio at all. I also cannot launch Google Chrome, because it will crash on start.

So, I booted in 32-bit only mode with maxmem=4096 (have 16GB RAM, if I do not type this my mac will shutdown with message: It's now safe to turn off your computer. CPU Halted) and then I can use Audio and Google Chrome.

Btw, I have the same problem if I use Nawcom's kernel for 10.6.8

Is there any solution to this problem?

Hope to hear of somebody.

Specs:

GA-990FXA-UD3 rev. 1.2 with BIOS version FC.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3Ghz stock.

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 QE/CI (works Out-Of-The-Box).

GPT filesystem table.

OS X 10.6.8

No binaries patched 'cause of system freeze.

I've never heard of that kernel... but I assume you're trying to use 10.6.8 on AMD? If so you already posted the solution to your problem lol. The dyld patch that lets you run in 64-bit userland IS the solution for running 64 and 32 bit apps with all memory enabled. If it doesn't work with that kernel my advice would be to use Nawcom's and run the patcher.

The fix is pretty simple and idk why you would try any other, or if there even is any other way to do it. It is never going to be possible to run in 32-bit mode with more than 4GB ram enabled.

Also how are you trying to patch dyld? I would not try any of those 'prepatched/SSE3' kernels, just use Nawcom's and the patcher here: http://www.osx86.net/desktops/14304-guide-use-more-than-4gb-ram-amd-32-64-bit-apps-working.html

If you download nawcoms legacy kernel from his blog,and use the .pkg, it patches everything for you.You need to use arch=i386 -force64 bootflags and everything should work out fine,even the 16 gigs of RAM. Info: Mac OS had PAE (Physical Adress Extension) long time so even when booted 32bit,it could use more than 4 gigs of RAM. When you boot with the flags above,only the kernel will be 32 bit, kexts which can will be 64 bit and also the Apps will run in 64 or 32,whatever their arch is.Only in a few cases,some users reported no problems on AMD with 64 bit arch.Back to the issue.. Andy's kernel has fresh code and even nawcom suggests using it but bare in mind,it boots with a custom compiled dyld blob and some apps have problems with it (i for instance,had problems with Dropbox),so if you want to use his kernel,you better off boot with std_dyld=Yes.

Hope this all helps

Patched my dyLibs with success and my mac is faster too! Thanks for the link danageis and thank you to everybody else who helped me. Alot appreciated! Thank you!!!

I have successfully installed 10.6.8 on my hack, but I am still having issues with apps crashing "out of 32 bit range" I am only using 4gigs of ram so I don't need the patch. I am using Nawcom's kernel without any major issues. I am not really sure what the issue is, but I am plagued with intermittent app crashes and Kernel Panics all pointing to the same issue "out of 32 bit range..blah..blah"

I can't even do the final updates for 10.6.8 the system just crashes 3/4 of the way through the process.

Now I know my mobo may not be completely supported and I can't use AHCI since my mobo does not have that option in bios, but I don't have any issues booting the OS, so I don't think that matters much. I did get the latest version of Java loaded, but I had to download that from Sun Microsystems since the update feature does not work. I would still like to finish all my updates and I was asking for a little help fixing this issue. My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 645, 3.11 GHz

RAM : 4GB Crucial PC3/16000 DDR3

GPU : nVidia Geforce 210 1 Gig Full Hardware Acceleration

Sound : Onboard Audio Realtek ALC887

LAN: Sonnet Gigabit PCIe Ethernet Controller

Monitor : Acer S231HL 24" Wide Screen 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Htz

USB: Keyboard/Microsoft Confort Curve 2000 - Mouse/Logitech M185

Bluetooth: Apple Magic Tracpad/ DLink DBT 122 Bluetooth Dongle

I have successfully installed 10.6.8 on my hack, but I am still having issues with apps crashing "out of 32 bit range" I am only using 4gigs of ram so I don't need the patch. I am using Nawcom's kernel without any major issues. I am not really sure what the issue is, but I am plagued with intermittent app crashes and Kernel Panics all pointing to the same issue "out of 32 bit range..blah..blah"

I can't even do the final updates for 10.6.8 the system just crashes 3/4 of the way through the process.

Now I know my mobo may not be completely supported and I can't use AHCI since my mobo does not have that option in bios, but I don't have any issues booting the OS, so I don't think that matters much. I did get the latest version of Java loaded, but I had to download that from Sun Microsystems since the update feature does not work. I would still like to finish all my updates and I was asking for a little help fixing this issue. My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 645, 3.11 GHz

RAM : 4GB Crucial PC3/16000 DDR3

GPU : nVidia Geforce 210 1 Gig Full Hardware Acceleration

Sound : Onboard Audio Realtek ALC887

LAN: Sonnet Gigabit PCIe Ethernet Controller

Monitor : Acer S231HL 24" Wide Screen 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Htz

USB: Keyboard/Microsoft Confort Curve 2000 - Mouse/Logitech M185

Bluetooth: Apple Magic Tracpad/ DLink DBT 122 Bluetooth Dongle

I still recommend you to patch your dyLib binaries, because I think, so I don't really know for sure, this will fix issues even for x86. (?)

Hope this helps.

If you are speaking of using "amd_insn_patcher" I have tried that on both of my installs, 10.6.6 and 10.6.8 Since I am not a guru with Unix syntax I am a bit lost with the commands. I did download the app and I did extract it to /usr/bin but I had some difficulty understanding the the commands and in what order they were supposed to be executed in.

Here is a typical Kernel Panic, one I see more often than not and it comes in our of the blue, this one happened on my 10.6.6 drive while I was working on a University project:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x55ca07);"getPhysicalSegment ( ) out of 32b range 0x1038c3000, len 0x1000, class IoGeneralMemoryDescriptor" @/users/nawcom/Builds/xnv-1504.9.26/iokit/Kernel/IoMemoryDecriptor.cpp:1584

then it runs out a line of text about kernel traps and args about 10 lines long....

I have a picture of it but for some reason I can't get it to post here with Imageshack, so I saved it as a attachment.

• 1 month later...

If you are speaking of using "amd_insn_patcher" I have tried that on both of my installs, 10.6.6 and 10.6.8 Since I am not a guru with Unix syntax I am a bit lost with the commands. I did download the app and I did extract it to /usr/bin but I had some difficulty understanding the the commands and in what order they were supposed to be executed in.

Here is a typical Kernel Panic, one I see more often than not and it comes in our of the blue, this one happened on my 10.6.6 drive while I was working on a University project:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x55ca07);"getPhysicalSegment ( ) out of 32b range 0x1038c3000, len 0x1000, class IoGeneralMemoryDescriptor" @/users/nawcom/Builds/xnv-1504.9.26/iokit/Kernel/IoMemoryDecriptor.cpp:1584

then it runs out a line of text about kernel traps and args about 10 lines long....

I have a picture of it but for some reason I can't get it to post here with Imageshack, so I saved it as a attachment.

After some time off I'm back (very busy lately).

I cannot find the attachment? Is it me or have you forgotten to upload it? :P