InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
trancephorm

Dual-boot Lion and Ubuntu 12.04 on MBR disk with Chimera installed

Installing OS X Lion on my Thinkpad T520i was a real adventure lasting about 2 weeks, but I managed to make it boot from MBR partitioned disk, using ######'s [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] option which installed Chimera boot loader. So everything works OK in the boot process, and now I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 so I can have both systems dual-booting from HD.

I see there's rEFIt program, but I suppose it works only with GPT partitions, and mine is MBR partitioned. More, I was reading people have problems with it (especially after updating Ubuntu), maybe rEFIind fork is the solution, but still I'm asking for help, don't wanna go through restoring my OS X installation afterwards...

I already have a free space reserved for Ubuntu installation, is there any tested and proven method I can install Ubuntu 12.04 in my environment, so I can boot both systems from same hard disk...

Thanks!

I just noticed ###### in my previous message turned to ######? Why is that? Is it banned or something?? :)) Please don't mind if I look stupid, I'm completely new in Mac world...

Advertisement

Install ubuntu as normal but when you get to the partition stage you should see an option of where to install your bootloader. Install it to the same partition as you install ubuntu to.

This way chameleon stays as the primary bootloader and when you press a key on boot it will automatically detect and show linux as an option as well as OS X.

Tried it... but it failed - there's no option where to install bootloader in 12.04 installation. After reset, OS X shows in Grub bootmenu on two places (Mac OS X 32-bit and 64-bit), but when I try to run either, there's little bit of waiting and machine just reboots...

This menu has been on the ubuntu installs for a while not sure about 12.04 but you were looking for the line at the bottom of here:

http://cdn1.sudobits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/partition-free-space.png

If you've installed the ubuntu bootloader over chameleon then your gonna need to reinstall chameleon then find out how to install the 12.04 bootloader to your ubuntu partition

You can simply chainload Chimera using Grub2, that's what I did.

If you're going to do this Grub2 (form Ubuntu) will be your primary bootloader, but you have to add another entry to Grub2. In the file

/etc/grub.d/40_custom

you have to add something similar to this:

menuentry "My OS" {

set root=(hdx,y) #replace x,y with what you need

chainloader +1

}

Becareful the numbering scheme of partitions has changed in Grub2 (sda1 is now hd0,1).

Now you have to execute:

update-grub

Now grub should show you an additional entry for booting OS X.

Further to my post above I have since installed ubuntu 12.04 on my system and I can confirm the menu I mentioned is present and their is no need to chainload the os x bootloader.

All that is required is that the ubuntu bootloader is installed to the same partition as ubuntu instead of the MBR, then chameleon / chimera will automatically detect linux on boot and allow selecting it as on option.

The only modification that may be required is to alter the time-out on the ubuntu bootloader to 0 so you don't have to wat for it to time out after selecting it when booting.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• @Mieze
      Well about the copyright claim on the comment of the patch you need to ask them, I just posted the patch as I found it. Ever since macOS 10.13.4 came out the black screen issue was fixed on so many AMD GPUs, Apple might just have used your discovery to resolve the boot to black issue I don't know for sure, but certainly we can use AMD GPUs easier and more efficient. Thanks to you and the clover team.

• Hi, work with embedded? Thk.-
    • The Montreal Impact have made an addition to head coach Frank Klopas coaching staff. Devonta Freeman Jersey .  Nikolaos Kounenakis has been hired as an assistant coach, the team announced on Monday. The 36-year-old most recently was an assistant coach for OFI Crete in the Greek Super League and holds his UEFA Pro Licence. "Im very happy to add Nikos to our group," said Klopas. "He will bring a wealth of experience as a former player who then worked as a coach. He will complement the staff that we have. Its a fantastic addition for us." Kounenakis appeared for the Greek U-16 and U-21 teams as well as for OFI Crete during his playing career. The Port Elizabeth, South Africa native also spent one season with the Kansas City Wizards. Matt Ryan Jersey .com) - The collective hearts of Chicago Bulls fans sank on Friday night when Derrick Rose went down with a leg injury against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Courtney Upshaw Jersey . Scheffler told The Associated Press on Wednesday he made the choice because he had three concussions over the past four years. http://www.falconsapparelsshop.com/desmond-trufant-falcons-jersey-c-17/ . The Toronto Argonauts (11-7) look for an opportunity to repeat as CFL champions when they host the surging Hamilton Tiger-Cats (10-8) on Sunday. ST. LOUIS -- Jonathan Toews caught the St. Louis Blues defence napping after the Chicago Blackhawks got a lucky carom. Just like that, the puck was in the net and the defending Stanley Cup champions were in command of the first-round series. "I wasnt even sure where their D-men were," Toews said after scoring at 7:36 of overtime to give the Blackhawks a 3-2 victory Friday night and a 3-2 series lead. "Just got going as fast as I could. Take advantage of a chance." Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford stopped a shot by David Backes, defenceman Duncan Keith cleared the puck and the rebound deflected off Andrew Shaws shin pad all the way to the Chicago captain alone at centre ice off a change. Toews sped in with two defencemen in futile pursuit and threw a few fakes at goalie Ryan Miller before slipping a backhander into the net. "I was just saying to some of the guys in the other room, Im trying to get the puck out of the zone and all of a sudden it lands on his stick," Keith said. "Couldnt believe it. So, I was pretty happy seeing that." St. Louis defenceman Roman Polak saw Toews coming off the bench but reasoned that the Blues had control, so he left the ice about the same time Backes was shooting. Replacement Jay Bouwmeester never had a chance and Toews also got behind Jordan Leopold. "It was a lucky bounce or something," Polak said. "It was just a lucky bounce." Marian Hossa and Ben Smith also scored for the Blackhawks, who have won three in a row and can wrap up the first-round series at home Sunday. Four of the first five games in the series have gone to overtime. "I think we got lucky on that winning goal, but I dont think that at the end of the day we win because of luck," Keith said. "I think both teams have a lot of fire and grit and a lot of determination, and its a fine line between winning and losing. "Like Ive said a few times, were going to need our best game of the year our next game." T.J. Oshie and Alex Pietrangelo scored for the Blues. "Whats pouting going to do?" St. Louis forward Alexander Steen said. "You just get back on the horse. Its a game. You have to win four. Theyy have three, we have two. Brooks Reed Jersey. Off to Chicago we go. See you there." All three of the Blues home games went to overtime and St. Louis won the first two. Before Toews scored, the top offensive threats in the series had been neutralized in Game 5. Patrick Kane and Toews combined for one assist in regulation and the Blues Vladimir Tarasenko, who entered with an NHL-leading four goals in the playoffs, was held to two shots. The first four goals came from players scoring for the first time in the series. Pietrangelo entered averaging more than 31 minutes in the series, most on either team, but has been a reluctant shooter with five shots in the first four games. His second career playoff goal came on a 2-on-1 break with Jaden Schwartz with the teams at 4-on-4 to tie it at 2 early in the third. Backes returned for the Blues while Blackhawks defenceman Brent Seabrook finished a three-game suspension from the illegal hit that knocked the St. Louis captain woozy in Game 2. But the Blues didnt make the most of that emotional lift early, getting their first scoring chance at about the 12-minute mark, totalling one shot on two early power plays and trailing 1-0 after the first. The Blackhawks started the scoring for the third straight game, capitalizing when Polak got caught pinching at the blue line. Bryan Bickell led a 2-on-1 break and Hossa tapped his own rebound into a wide open net at 16:11 of the first period. On his knees, Oshie lifted a backhander over Crawfords stick to tie it at 11:04 of the second period. Six minutes later, Smith tapped in a backhander after a St. Louis defender stopped Sheldon Brookbanks slap shot from the point. NOTES: All three games in St. Louis have attracted standing room crowds, with 19,796 showing up on a busy sports night downtown with the defending National League champion Cardinals playing the Pirates a few blocks east. ... Oshie totalled three shots and was minus-3 his first three games back from an illegal check to the head late in the regular season from Minnesotas Brian Rupp, who was suspended four games. Oshie said Thursday he might have returned a game too soon. ... Hossa entered second in the playoffs with 21 shots but was held to one assist the first four games. Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys China Wholesale Authentic Jerseys Cheap Jerseys 2018 Cheap Jerseys 2019 NFL Jerseys Wholesale ' ' '
    • @Cyberdevs: Personally I don't care for the device name but the advantage to have a card which: is working out OOB has all ports working doesn't need any patches which may break  after the next update is obvious and can't be overestimated.   By the way, why do you have this ridiculous copyright notice in the comment of the patch? Looks like some of these so called "creators" haven't noticed yet, that you can't claim any copyright on a patch.
    • Monitor EDID often contains OEM string in Details Timing section. For example Extracted contents: header: 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 serial number: 06 10 df 9c 00 00 00 00 1a 15 version: 01 04 basic params: 95 1d 12 78 02 chroma info: ef 05 97 57 54 92 27 22 50 54 established: 00 00 00 standard: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 descriptor 1: c2 23 a0 d4 50 84 1a 30 40 2a 36 00 1e b3 10 00 00 18 descriptor 2: 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 descriptor 3: 00 00 00 fe 00 4c 50 31 33 33 57 50 31 2d 54 4a 41 37 descriptor 4: 00 00 00 fc 00 43 6f 6c 6f 72 20 4c 43 44 0a 20 20 20 extensions: 00 checksum: 7a Manufacturer: APP Model 9cdf Serial Number 0 Made week 26 of 2011 EDID version: 1.4 Digital display 6 bits per primary color channel DisplayPort interface Maximum image size: 29 cm x 18 cm Gamma: 2.20 Supported color formats: RGB 4:4:4 First detailed timing is preferred timing Established timings supported: Standard timings supported: Detailed mode: Clock 91.540 MHz, 286 mm x 179 mm 1440 1504 1546 1652 hborder 0 900 903 909 926 vborder 0 -hsync -vsync Dummy block ASCII string: LP133WP1 Monitor name: Color Checksum: 0x7a (valid)