Lion v10.7.3 Install Boot Loop (rebooting)

Flexiweb

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I am currently running an Intel Desktop Board DG965SS with an Intel Core 2 Duo LGA755 2.2GHz, i have 8GB of RAM (4x2GB) but have currently got in 4GB (2x2GB) for installation, and an ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB graphics card.

I can install and run Snow Leopard with no problems at all as long as i set GraphicsEnabler=No (or GraphicsEnabler=Yes with extra kexts installed), however my problem is when i try to load the Lion 10.7.3 installer, it runs fine but it just restarts the computer before the installer loads, there are no errors in verbose mode and it doesnt pause for long enough to let me see whats on the screen, but i managed to record it on my phone and read what it says just before it reboots, it just after the part that says darwin something when booting, it then outputs the current boot flags then restarts the computer, ive been at if for days and just cant get it to work :( ive tried many different combinations of boot flags but just cant get past this reboot problem, its always at the same point with no errors or explanation as to why. if i dont run it in verbose mode then it flashes white then restarts, so im guessing its loading the kernel but crashing somewhere <_< .

Ive looked all over the net and have been googling for 2 days solid and im starting to read the same things over and over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can have all 8gb in your comp but use maxmem=4096 at boot.

it is something related to your GFX card. im guessing you have integrated GFX on your mobo? see if you can load into the setup without the ati card in. you may need to add your device-id to ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext for lion. also try npci = 0x2000 boot flag.

i had a similar issue and i did this to fix it, but it seems to have mixed results.

edit\ i may have misread your issue, can you post this vid?

you can have all 8gb in your comp but use maxmem=4096 at boot.

it is something related to your GFX card. im guessing you have integrated GFX on your mobo? see if you can load into the setup without the ati card in. you may need to add your device-id to ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext for lion. also try npci = 0x2000 boot flag.

i had a similar issue and i did this to fix it, but it seems to have mixed results.

edit\ i may have misread your issue, can you post this vid?

cool, thanks for the maxmem tip, and yeah ive got integrated graphics, ill try taking out my graphics card, and ive already tried that boot flag, along with a load more, ive recently got hold of mountain lion from a friend and that does the same thing, so im guessing its a problem with any OS above snow leopard.

Ill try that link you suggested and see if it shows any light, and i deleted the video but ill re-take it now and post it as soon as ive done it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Whats the Lion GM you said about in your previous post, ive got the Lion install ESD but have got no idea what the GM is :/ is it the baseimage.dmg?

EDIT: Heres the video of the boot up:

ok so when the screen goes blank at the end of the video, the computer is restarting? geez. i was thinking you got a white screen where the installer window would be (like the pic in my link). ]

GM means golden master. i made that post when Lion was just being released.

ok, the footage in your video means that you have a incompatible kernel(it restarts right when it loads the kernel). but.... you have a C2D intel, so, you should be able to run on the stock, Vanilla kernel that comes with OSX. what install method are you using?

EDIT\\ try http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 or http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266390 install methods....

yeah its restarting, thats what i mean, it doesnt even load the gui or installer :/ and ah rite yeah GM, i found that out recently from another thread :) and ive tried loads of different install methods, including the first link you suggested, but ill give the second link a try, i havent used that one yet, will post back as soon as ive tried it, just need to fix my SL installation as it doesnt like me adding the device ID for my graphics card into the ATI kexts, just refuses to boot :/ so will do a re-install of SL then try that second method you gave me.

Thanks again.

okay i now have lion installed, it worked fine after putting the boot drive in SATA port 0, with boot flags: "GraphicsEnabler=No -v" and it installed fine, but now i am not able to boot into my installed Lion, ive put the installation HDD in sata port 0 but i get stuck at USBMSC Identifier (non-unique), any ideas?

EDIT: i have been trying to fix this all day with many different boot flags and / or kexts installed, different bootloaders and just about anything i can think of, with just no luck :(

http://www.tonymacx8...?t=362&p=286140

it maybe one of your USB devices; a quote from a real mac user:

Well, I figured out my problem, for me, anyway. When I disconnected my usb-attached HP Photosmart 7960 printer, all is well. I can restart in 30 seconds, just like before.

I disconnected all cords, and restarted! - 30 Seconds!! Then I started adding one at a time, restarting after each one. When I added the HP printer, I discovered the culprit. Now, I have to figure out what to do about it. At least the 6 minutes log on and 6 minutes restart has been fixed.

so maybe try unplugging every usb device except the absolutely necessary ones.

or maybe you have a conflicting kext in /Extra. what kexts do you have in Extra?