Trying to fix 20" intel imac (2006)

5 posts in this topic

I brought a faulty 20" iMac (A1174) that would not turn on for £40 but it came without a HDD or HDD Temp sensor. I have checked and it was the power supply that was faulty and I have wired it up to an ATX PSU to make sure I can get it working before I pay £80 for a mac psu. Running off the ATX psu I can now turn on the mac and get the chime and screen comes on, I can hold down the mac or option key and it lets me choose the boot device but no matter what I choose it just comes up with a circle with a line through. The fan is going over time and I take it this is because the HDD temp sensor isn't there, would this be also causing the circle and not loading. If I just boot normally it comes up with a flashing globe but can't load/install OSX to change the startup disk.

I have read you can short the wire for the temp sensor to fix the fan issue's. There are 4 holes in the HDD temp sensor cable so which ones do I short if this will help.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

Managed to get it running, it was because I had a HDD with 10.7 on it but looks like this model will only go to 10.6 but just got the HDD fan running at full speed all the time. Does anyone know if I can bridge 2 of the cables where the HDD Temp Sensor is supposed to be to fix this.

Don't worry found some software that will change the HDD speed by getting the temp from the HDD's internal sensor and overrides the mac from looking at its own temp sensor. Well happy a intel 20" iMac for my daughters for £40. They don't know its theres yet :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...