I need to fix some things

7 posts in this topic

hi everyone.

I successfully installed Snow Leopard retail (10.6) on my laptop (Acer 5536, as in my signature), simply by booting with NAWCOM MODcd and using the retail dvd.

I selected those things:

-Legacy Kernel

-AppleATIATA

-VoodooHDA

and deselected:

-GraphicsEnabler

-SleepEnabler

The system works ok, but those things are not working:

1) graphic is 1024x768 instead of native 1366x768, GPU not recognized

2) the fan is always running, never silent

3) the processor is seen as a Intel Core Duo (I guess it's normal?)

4) reboot and shut down works ok, but sleep doesn't (the mouse disappear and the system is blocked), but no kernel panic luckly.

now, about my graphic card, I know there are working kext but those are made for 10.6.7 or higher.

So, what should be the next step? combo update to 10.6.7?

I tried a 10.6.8 combo update + kernel update but I got many problems (no wireless, no usb, even after fixes..)

Ultimately, you want to get to 10.6.8. But in order to do it, you might need to save your 10.6.7 kexts and use them to fix problems created by 10.6.8.

You need a new kernel with 10.6.7 also. Download the 10.6.7 Combo update from Apple and put it on your Desktop. Download the new kernel package and put it on your Desktop. Run the Combo update, but do not let it reboot! Instead Force Quit out of it. To Force Quit, hold down the Option key (Start key) and click and hold on the installer icon in the Dock. In the popup, select Force Quit. Then install the new kernel.

When you try to upgrade to 10.6.8, you should do exactly the same thing, except first, save a copy of your kexts in your Extension folder. You can use the 10.6.7 kexts to fix wireless and usb issues.

Now, the kernel package contains SleepEnabler. You said you don't have sleep so sleep enabler may be good. But it does cause kernel panics during boot for some people. So, you might want to try only the kernel without Sleep Enabler.

The kernel can be found here: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=640

Ok I manually saved the kext. Then Combo update to 10.6.7 + kernel (darwin 10.7.0), then reboot.

Now the problems are the same as 10.6.8:

kernel panic when pluggin a usb device, and no airport so no wireless anymore.

Now I don't know which kext I should install to have those things back.

furthermore, I should specify that the system can't boot by itself (there's chameleon installed but the system won't start), I need to use NAWCOM modcd every time I boot.

furthermore, the system is not bootable with chameleon installed.. It only boot with NAWCOM MODcd, I guess because of graphicenabler..

Is there a way to install chameleon in order to act as MODcd, so that I can boot the system faster (and without pressing keys) and without a cd?