Lion installation on esxi

8 posts in this topic

Hi there

I try to install lion on ESXi (I installed ESXi on an Dell Optiplex 780 to test) and I stuck on selecting the target disk for installation. I can't see a disk and "diskutil list" on terminal just shows me my install cd, mac os x base system and some 500kb disks.

Does anyone know what I can try to fix this?

Cheers

Dom

Hi there

I try to install lion on ESXi (I installed ESXi on an Dell Optiplex 780 to test) and I stuck on selecting the target disk for installation. I can't see a disk and "diskutil list" on terminal just shows me my install cd, mac os x base system and some 500kb disks.

Does anyone know what I can try to fix this?

Cheers

Dom

Dom,

Not sure where your problem lies, we probably need some more info, like log files and vmx config (attached as text, please!). I would also recommend upgrading to the latest version of ESXi, 5.0.0 U1, this resolves some OS X issues not least of which support for 10.7.3, which is the currently downloading version on the App Store. I recently rebuilt my ESXi demo config with U1 and 10.7.3 isntalled from the dmg wihout any issues, 1.0.2 unlocker installed first of course, LoL!

I just finished a Lion and SL install on ESX 5.0 U1 and it was easy as pie!

for lion this is what I did:

Follow Donk's unlocker guide: for me that meant...

Downloading the latest unlocker from Donk's page

Unzip the files into one directory (unlocker)

upload the folder to a datastore via the ESX client application.

I then ssh'd into the ESX box and went into the datastore volume, into the unlocker folder and ran the install script. In my case I 777'd the permissions first.

Once that was done, I stopped all of the machines and rebooted the server.

Next step for lion:

I got a working lion image DMG file. This took a while because several of the images I had didn't work.

I used this guide to get the DMG to a working ISO http://www.sysprobs.com/convert-mac-dmg-iso-windows

i uploaded the ISO to a datastore on the ESX server and followed this guide to build a working vmdk.

http://www.sysprobs.com/create-bootable-lion-os-installer-image-vmware-windows-intel-based-computers

Once I had the 5GB VMDK I simply created a new VM, choosing the 10.7 template in ESX, build a 40GB empty vmdk for the system, added the already made 5GB vmdk and booted the server.

That was pretty much it. To my surprise there were no issues at all. The system booted the 5GB image properly and correctly installed on the 40GB partition (that i created with the boot utility during install).

After that I removed the 5GB drive and rebooted to the new 40GB volume. worked great! I shutdown, took a snapshot, rebooted and did an online update...everything worked great! and Lion is running just fine now.

hope this helps.

By the way I'm running ESX 5.0 U1 (pretty fresh install) on a HP DL380 G5 with 8GB ram.

• Like 1

Thank you, Cr0n_J0b! I tried it with your method and now I see my disks. But I've got a new problem, I don't have enough memory left on my test-host. I have to get more memory tomorrow at work.

Cheers

Dom

that doesn't sound like a problem...it sounds like an opportunity :-)

I'm just going through the ebays now looking for some used memory to upgrade. I haven't hit the top yet, but I'm sure I will soon and I want to be prepared. I'll have 16GB in the next few weeks.

I got Lion working fine on ESXi 5.0.0 build 623860. Used the unlocker and have also successfully upgraded to 10.7.3.

I have no sound (have not bothered to set up VT-d for it), and I also have trouble with video (tested on youtube only).

I only plan to use the machine for xcode training and minor development, so I do not need sound nor video, so I am happy as can be :-)

Thanks to all on this forum, I managed to learn what I need here, and I am not an ESXi nor a Mac expert.

Key to my success was to install latest ESXi 5.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I installed VMware tools out of the box, no special iso used.