Mountain Lion Worth Installing?

LooN3y

5 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...

I have a dev account and got my hands on it today. In fact I'm on it right now. (On my legit Macbook Pro - mid 2009)

So far my impressions are... mixed. I'll give you a quick rundown of my 1st day of use impressions.

• Gaming performance is improved over both lion and snow leopard (very noticable on diablo 3)
  • Boot time is improved
  • No native x11 (although the xQuartz project fills this gap)
  • Updating through App Store is (in my opinion) messy and seems less convenient that a standalone OS update centre
  • App compatibility (I've updated from snow leopard - lion was never worth the "upgrade") has been mixed at best. Although almost all issues have been resolved with updates, Some are still persistent and I will have to look into those tomorrow.
  • Launching apps seems somehow smoother, and i have experienced no crashing whatsoever (although, I have only been using it today)
  • Siri Dictation is SUPERB. I have it set to CMD+D and it is fantastic. A welcome component to the OS
  • The OS DOES feel hugely polished. If you don't want to upgrade now, I suggest you do once it goes retail in August

In summary, i think that from Snow Leopard, i would stay put. It is perhaps a "better" OS (more up-to-date at least), but it causes many compatibility issues that unless you are a bit of a nerd, you might find off putting. From lion though, i would update in a heart beat.

hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

True. The odd-numbered versions tend to be the more *revolutionary* updates to OS X (Panther, Leopard, and Lion each broke new ground for OS X), while the *evens* (Tiger, Snow Leopard, and Mountain Lion) are where the polish gets applied. Windows breaks ground on the evens, while it polishes the odds. (Yes - even Windows 2000 Professional follows the trend of ground-breaking evens; remember, this was the first NT-based OS to support DirectX.) Due to that trend, I have no idea why any long-term OS X user would have expected anything more than polishing of Lion's rough edges out of ML.

That said, Mountain Lion does do a good job of polishing the rough edges of Lion.