[Solved] Long boot time, about 5 times longer than lion

Sgt.ASavage

21 posts in this topic

[solved] Replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one in snow leopard, all done.

[[[[[N.B. This solution is suspected to be sabertooth x58 (as well as the issue), attempt with caution when this happens on other boards.]]]]]

I installed ML and everything works just fine except some internal errors that won't affect much.

The thing is, i found that the boot time takes a lot longer than in lion, like, 3 or 4 minutes to boot, whereas i need only one minute to boot in lion as i'm using SSD.

My Spec:

Sabertooth X58

Corsair 1066Mhz 3x4Gb

Gigabyte GTX460 1024Mb

i7-950@3.06GHz

Could anyone kindly point out anything wrong with my mobo?

(Kernel Log Deleted to Make This Thread More User-Friendly) =]

NOTE: When i boot in Verbose mode, it stuck at

Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

I think the problem is around there but i don't know how to solve it, hope that someone could help me out please.

My boot is hanging at the exact same point for a couple of mins on my Asus P6TD Deluxe. How do you have your graphics injected? I have mine through DSDT, but now with the newer nVidia drivers you supposedly don't need to inject anything so I'm wondering if that's the problem... I've tried everything to make it go away besides that or taking the graphics cards out and see what happens.

I used GraphicsEnabler in both Lion and MLion.

Thing is, I never used DSDT for graphics injection, ever. I think thats why i got laggy graphics in lion but not in MLion.

Also, I found that my mobo sometimes has difficulty displaying even simple pictures like photos or even websites such as insanelymac, which makes me think that there is some problem.

Out of the topic, can you use boot loaders other than r1820? 'cause i can only use 1820, newer bootloaders such as r1827 makes me fall into infinite reboot, i heard that changing systemversion.plist to 10.7 allows boot but will stop at white screen with only  logo.

This is what i did... i didn't alter the dmg image i installed it on a usb stick..

then option started my MBP then chose then chose the Mt Lion HD which was connected to a USB Hub....

did the install... now this is where i think we differ i think you guys use asus boards... mine is a Gygabyte i used the Kakewalk4.1.1 just to prep it..... not to make it a installer. if you need to install Kext use pacifist with admin rights.

then did permission fix used then i used the Chamelion trunk just dont choose anything leave it as be.... hopefully you guys can get to a real mac machine... i think your DSDT is essential ....

This is still a Alpha state release but i must admit this one had some good performance already out it.... i think Mt Lion will be the turning point of change of the past Mac OSX releases they actually dropped the mac when you do a about this mac,,

Sgt....?3 minutes is a bit long hopefuly some ASUS user will correct that problem for you...

Good Luck post what you have done so far.

Thanks for the reply, justgeeking.

I tried to unplug all USB and sata devices except keyboard, trying to fix that, unfortunately, didn't worked.

but still I'll continue to use ML for my hack, it's much better than lion, hope that fix will be coming soon or wait for apple to release dp2.

Don't install drivers for hardware that you don't have.

Delete the Fintek fakesmc plugin, your motherboard has no Fintek sensor:

Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:37:59 localhost kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:37:59 localhost kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:00 localhost kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:00 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 27 21:38:01 localhost kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:03 Andrews-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:03 Andrews-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:04 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 27 21:38:04 Andrews-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:04 Andrews-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:04 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 27 21:38:05 Andrews-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xa5 REVISION=0x13
Feb 27 21:38:05 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Your motherboard has a Winbond sensor chip:

Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: W836x: based on code from Open Hardware Monitor project by Michael Möller (C) 2010
Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: W836x: mozodojo (C) 2011
Feb 27 21:37:56 localhost kernel[0]: W836x: found Winbond W83667HG

• 4 weeks later...

After more trial and error than should be considered reasonable, I found the fix to Sabertooth x58 slow boot/hang. Replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext with older version from Lion/SL. I used 1.3.5 version that was on my Lion install, but it may have been a version from SL, other versions may work as well, have not had time to test any yet. Version in ML that was replaced is 1.6.

With quite boot and gui in chameleon disabled, it takes longer for the bios to post and enable marvell sata controller than to boot osx, 10-15 from time chameleon begins loading to desktop loaded and ready for action. I knew I bought this ssd for a reason:) Need to see if I can streamline the bios post a bit now. I thought that version was too old to be from Lion, must have done that for a reason, between setting up my stuff and friends all the time, it all blurs together and gets hard to remember what I had to do on one machine to the next. Oh well, as long as it gets done:)

I don't use that {censored} for my SSD, use add on sata3 pcie card, but I need the ports, got 10 with the marvell and expansion card, 9 are in use:( All the drives posting is gona take some time no matter what, and a couple usb hdd's to that take bit to get going. Turning of USB legacy support in bios helps, but can't use keyboard in chameleon then(might as well disable it if I'm using quiteboot/no gui though) I dunno, gonna have to break something or have another preview come out soon, gotta have something to mess with:)

• Like 1

We shouldn't have to replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with one from Snow Leo to get this to work. There must be another solution, whether it be DSDT based or editing the ML kext maybe? I don't like replacing kexts from 2 whole versions of the system ago to make the system simply boot faster.

• 3 months later...