iATKOS L2 Post installation Issues.

RDGnome

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a few questions/problems with iATKOS L2 10.7.2. (If this is the right place to post)

First off I have it burned onto a DVD-RW which seems to work okay.

Problem 1: When I try to boot from CD to install it, neither mouse or keyboard works. To solve this I booted into Safe mode (-x) and that worked and I installed it from there. It wouldn’t let me boot with –v for some reason. (All on DVD)

Problem 2: After installing it for the third time (1stand 2nd time I didn’t install drivers), when I try to boot from my second hard drive it says “Operating system not found”. When I first installed it, this problem did not occur, which is why it is particularly frustrating. The only way to boot into Mac OS x is to go in through the DVD. This problem makes me believe that the bootloader did not install correctly. How do I reinstall it if that is the problem?

Problem 3: After booting through the CD, half the time I will get Panic errors of one sort or another and I will have to reboot. Do you need more details on these?

Problem 4: If I actually get to log in, it seems to run okay, but will crash occasionally and several features don’t work, most importantly Wifi (Wifi Card Intel Centrino wireless N 1030). But also, my CD drive won’t open and no audio.

Problem 5: Ethernet capabilities sometimes work and sometimes don’t..

Specs.

I have a Dell XPS 17 Laptop:

CPU: i7 2630qm @ 2.00 gHz – 6GB RAM – 2 500GB SATA Drives – GPU: Nvidia Geforce 555m – Windows 7.

Installation:

To install iATKOS L2 I burnt the DMG onto a disc then booted from it, pressed f8 at the bootloader and typed –x. Then I erased and formatted my second harddrive to Apple Extended which had nothing on it prior to Mac OSx installation, and is completely separate from my Windows OS. I selected certain drivers suck as PS/2 driver, Ethernet driver, aetheros wifi driver (which I think is useless), voodooHDA audio drivers etc. I selected the Chameleon bootloader.

Please does anyone have any suggestions, I am begging you. This has been bugging me for ages.

Thanks

EDIT: Now it doesn't boot at all. I can only run it in safe mode. It always comes up with a panic error involving voodooHDA Audio and HDAEnabler.

A line is "HDAEnabler: (Date) Added SP-Audio support by Taruga.

(Reposted here because seems more appropriate)

Get the latest chameleon, install to your hard drive, place needed kexts in System/Library/Extensions and rebuild your caches.

Your CD drive won't open unless you command it to through the OS, you can enable a button in the menu bar for this. This can be done via a plist edit, or by changing your system identifier to a MacBook, MacBookPro or MacMini.

We need full information of a panic to debug. A photo if often the easiest way.

Search OSX86.net for kexts for your hardware.

Get the latest chameleon, install to your hard drive, place needed kexts in System/Library/Extensions and rebuild your caches.

Your CD drive won't open unless you command it to through the OS, you can enable a button in the menu bar for this. This can be done via a plist edit, or by changing your system identifier to a MacBook, MacBookPro or MacMini.

We need full information of a panic to debug. A photo if often the easiest way.

Search OSX86.net for kexts for your hardware.

Thanks for the reply.

Should I install the bootloader on Mac OSx or on Windows?

I seem to have fixed the boot panic errors and can boot normally now. I deleted VoodooHDA.kext and all the HDAEnabler kexts and now I have no problems.

Once I have downloaded the kexts, how would I install them? Using ######?

And can you please explain what DSDT is. And do I need it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm learning.

Thanks for you help.

Bootloader is installed to the OS X partition, or to the EFI partition, this is up to you, though the installers will install to your OS X partition as default.

To install kexts, place them in System/Library/Extensions then run kext utility/kext wizard, or rebuild caches and repair permissions manually via terminal, this is again your choice.

A patched dsdt can enable things that would otherwise have needed a kext or EFI string.

The best way to extract your dsdt is by using 'DSDT Editor', save this as a .dsl and post in the DSDT section asking for help.

I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4 to my Mac OS X partition and it seemed to do nothing. Still says Operating system not found. I'm sure its something to do with the fact that its a separate hard drive and not a partition with Windows. Is this likely to cause a problem?

Also I've noticed a recurring problem that whenever I go on YouTube, the system completely freezes and won't fix itself so I have to force shut down.

Annoyingly, I've installed all the kexts for audio etc, but it still doesn't work.

Did I need to do something with my DSDT? Another tutorial uses it but I didn't. Is this significant?

Once again sorry for all the questions.

Thanks a million

Why are you using chameleon2 rc4 when the latest is chameleon 2.1?

The fact you have windows and OS X on separate drives is a good thing. Why would not having it on the same HDD as windows matter? What possible logic is there to this assumption?!

The problem with youtube is probably something to do with QE/CI, you basically have no graphics support and are running in low-res, non accellerated mode.

I don't know if you need to do something to your DSDT, I have no idea what you have enabled how you have done so.

:( I don't know, not partitioned in the same way..

RC4 2.0 is the latest release on the website I believe. Must be outdated.

I installed Chameleon 2.1, and still nothing..

Does it matter that the Mac OSX harddrive is a GUID partition and not MBR?

Thanks

Thanks for your help anyway.

One last thing, do you know any kexts which fix the sleeping problem when the screen cuts out. And also for shutting down and restarting as it cannot do either of those things. I have found some kexts but they do not seem to work

Cheers

EDIT: Now it doesn't boot at all. I can only run it in safe mode. It always comes up with a panic error involving voodooHDA Audio and HDAEnabler.

Never install several patches or drivers for the same hardware unless you know what you're doing.

Don't use HDAEnabler and VoodooHDA at the same time. HDAEnabler causes AppleHDA.kext to load, which will conflict with VoodooHDA. If your sound works with VoodooHDA, use that and be happy, and don't install HDAEnabler.

After installing it for the third time (1stand 2nd time I didn’t install drivers), when I try to boot from my second hard drive it says “Operating system not found”.

This message comes from the BIOS, it means that there is no boot loader or working boot sector on the hard drive you're trying to boot from.

Thanks Gringo. That might also be why AppleHDA isn't working, because I no longer have the HDAenablers..

And I have installed the bootloader several times. And I don't know if I have a working boot sector. I don't think it has a master boot record.

Do you reach the chameleon screen when booting from HDD?

No. Nothing of the sort

Then you need to set your OS X hard drive as first boot priority through BIOS and install chameleon to it.

The only thing I can think of is that you are trying to boot from a drive with no bootloader installed.

Yes, the boot process is as follows:

OS X HDD is set as primary, it has chameleon installed to it.

When you turn on the PC, it boots from the OS X HDD, chameleon is your boot file so it starts.

From chameleon you can choose which partition you would like to boot:

1. OS X

2. Windows

3. Linux

etc etc etc

The selected partition then boots.

Chameleon must be installed to the OS X partition and the OS X partition must be set as the active partition i.e. the partition the PC first tries to boot from, the first boot priority.

I'm sure I have done all those steps correctly but no luck.

Can you just go over how to set partition as active just in case I've done it wrong. I did it via terminal diskutil list and selected the drive and then f 2. Is this right?

Thanks