USE KERNEL CACHE Chameleon and Mountain Lion (help)

Guest sincro77

22 posts in this topic

Guest sincro77

Hi guys and gals,

The UseKernelCache feature (was) not working properly. /// (( edit.. it is now! .)))

I have ML working fine ...but without the Kernel Cache. (obviously it spits a long kextlist like -f during verbose.)

I installed all my kexts (nvenabler,voodoohda,wifi etc,)

So ... after that I enabled flag 'UseKernelCache=Yes ' - to trim down the boot time a bit... (supposedly)...

but (here's the problem)--using the caches ML is not happy.

* using chameleon 2415 package for ML. customizable install.. using the flags and features..

Isnt the whole point to load the 'Kernelcache' and not have to rescan/rebuild it every boot.??

(TO SAVE TIME!.. ugh.) ?? as far as i know....(shrug)

Any info would be appreciated.. :)

Sincro77

post-627782-0-94154700-1329928668_thumb.png

To use caches you need to move all kexts to S/L/E and delete the Extensions.mkext from Extra.

Use the following to rebuild your cache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

Guest sincro77

thanks james /.. will try that now.. and post back.. cheers

.so for my 3 extra kexts // (nullcpu, fakesmc and ioahci.).

-- i reinstall into SLE using kexthelper , rebuild kextcache and kernel cache and it should work?

im using chameleon 1823 .it installed those kexts into there...

update: installed them to S/L/E with kexthelper ... deleted mkext from extra ..., deleted extensions from e/e .

rebuilt caches using commands as 'sudo su'...

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded

and sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

okay,reboot.., ' UseKernelCache=Yes ' flag .. and i see that it uses the caches.. and skips the list.

but ..the boot still hangs after usb messages..sloooow.. says waiting for root device sometimes too.

. think it might be due to my using a usb drive. ?? maybe if i toss this in as an internal drive and install my ata kexts this won't happen.

Yes , I tried using USBBusFix=Yes... nice try... still doesnt fix the problem.

The errors seem related to usb ehci. ownership errors ,timed out,etc, etc. then waiting for root device sometimes follows.

after 3 minutes im not waiting. hard reset.

I have to use -f now.. otherwise it hangs like a monkey.

any ideas?

Guest sincro77

ahh/. ,,,, well,, see this kernel for ML 10.8 wont boot in 64 for me. .. .just restarts machine if not using arch=i386 ...

i can boot the full 64 kernel and extensions with lion10.7 - on this same machine. (so its software related .. not hardware)

The reason I use the 32bit kernel: is because of my darn asus wifi ..(realtek8187 is a 32 bit only driver.)

Also.. 64 bit wordlengths are larger and require more memory. I only have 4gigs of ram so 64bit isnt really necessary in this situation.

If I had 16 gigs of ram and I used apps that could suck on that much ram then maybe..sure..

alot of people dont understand 64bit. they just think."its better' ///duh.

so is there a different kernel i should use?..

from what ive read on other forums.>

.. mountain lion might just be a 32bit kernel alternative to lion staying current and still using older hardware

. correct me if thats wrong. id like to know...seem to be what one poster was saying.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my 2 cents

Guest sincro77

okay i managed to boot using cache.. but it took $#%*@ 5 minutes. here is why..

usb was stuck in 1.0 uhci see screenshots.

its a usbehci uim initialize error if i try to boot with caches,, i waited it out..

the second screenshot shows usb high speed is enabled ehci ..( thats without using cache.

i dont care.. I just bought a 80gigsata drive at computer store for 10 bucks so im gonna clone ML onto sata ahci HD and im sure that will solve it.lol

i dont usually run an OS off usb anyways,, i was testing ML...

cheers.

Boot duration:

some people time the boot using a stopwatch or whatever...

me, I just count the spins of the mac boot spinning wheel.

(non-verbose).... im getting 25 spins with ML , lion-19spins., snow-15spins., leopard.8 spins.

It seems like each new Cat takes a bit longer to boot..?

i like ML.... but i also like the 'instant on' i get booting leopard.!

my 2 cents

post-627782-0-40388900-1330025528_thumb.png

post-627782-0-68089400-1330026289_thumb.png

Guest sincro77

pinpointed the usb ehci issue . . . any "Low-Speed" device on the bus at handoff/initialisation buggered things.

. . & wouldn't you guess it? . . . the Low-Speed device in question [a mouse] was made by none other than the Microsoft Corporation smiley.gif

wierd that these usb issues only happen if i use the cache.

and this board has flaky usb detetction issues in osx.. Asus P5wdh deluxe.

sometimes certain ports dont work.etc.

yes,, ive tried with and without a dsdt.aml. also with and without hpet option.

Guest sincro77

yep.. still doesnt boot the kernel in full 64bit .. userspace is 64 but not kernel...

i really dont care.. but someone might though.//? let them figure it out,.

see look: . the same machine in full LP64 bit with10.7 Lion..(see screenshot):

cheers my Mountain Lioneers, :))

post-627782-0-63401000-1330103477_thumb.png

Guest sincro77

here's the org.chameleon.boot.plist setting im using for ML:

the device properties string was generated with efistudio/ ethernet. to enable use of the appstore (no device errors ) i also attached the 'boot' file im using .. cham 1820 seems the best one for my mL. i tried 1823 and 1827 too.

i would get"cant find" when looking for cache.. not sure. but 1820 worked. :)

adios..

plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>ShowInfo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0000000001010600031c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Archive.zip

Ok, when i install software ex: Paragon it rebuild kernelcache, i checked it 10.2M size, and reboot, chameleon show can't find Kernelcache, i used -v UseKernelCache=No, i go to desktop, and i use kextwizard and install any kexts ex: reinstall FakeSMC.kext and check kernel cache size 32M and reboot ok i can used kernelcache=Yes.

Guest sincro77

I think what haong is trying to say is that Osx doesnt rebuild his cache properly ,,,

but when he rebuilds with a kextutility it works..

Chameleon 1820 is working for me.

it should be mentioned : there is 1- extensions.mkext ( which is a cache) and 2- also kernelcache.. another cache.

. if you have one in E/E then caches 3 total.

im not using one in e/e .. so i see it load about 12 kexts from there, quickly,, then it loads my caches.

ML boots maybe 6 seconds faster., its not a big deal.

Guest sincro77

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded

and

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

okay,reboot.., ' UseKernelCache=Yes

• 4 weeks later...

It's another problem that force system to avoid Kernel Cache: IOPCIFamily.kext!

Personally I have an old IOPCIFamily upgraded to work with new AppleACPIPlatform and Mountain Lion.

Updated it to fix missing symbols for dp2 wifi drivers and applethunderbolt kexts, that avoid Kernel Cache Usability!

Download: http://cl.ly/3b0y2g2b2X2A351Z022U

Source: Netkas.org

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I had the same problem - the system always ignored my kexts cache.

The cause is that the system mounts Preboot.dmg and the files in there have the priority over your /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist file.

The solution is:

1) Unpack all the Extensions from /Extra/Preboot.dmg to /Extra:

su

hdid /Extra/Preboot.dmg

cp -R /Volumes/Preboot/Extra/Extensions /Extra

2) Unmount Preboot.dmg and delete it

3) Make sure your /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist does not have the Kernel Flag "-f"