Any luck with 10.8 Mountain Lion DP 1 on VMware?

75 posts in this topic

I have a perfectly working 10.7.3 VM image on VMware 8.0.2 in Windows 7 with 1.0.2 unlocker.

I tried updating it to the new 10.8 DP 1 and everything appears to work fine. It installs, reboots and does the full installation and says it was installed successfully.

However, when It does it's final reboot (first boot into 10.8) the boot hangs at the Grey screen Apple logo with a forever spinning spinner.

I tried the "update to 10.7.2" fix before the 10.8 installation rebooted but that also didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas or tips or got past this problem?

Thanks.

My .vmx is attached if anyone wants to look.

sirmaster_vmx.zip

I have successfully installed OS X 10.8 on VMWare Fuison.

An it successfully booting and i can use it.

Hint: when you clear install OS X 10.8 on Fusion, do not install vmware-tools,

because it leads to a kernel panic.

But I can't boot it from ESXI!

Now, I will trying to change kext from 10.7.1

-------update

Ok, it's works both Fusion & ESXI with AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from 10.7.1

I have successfully installed OS X 10.8 on VMWare Fuison.

An it successfully booting and i can use it.

Hint: when you clear install OS X 10.8 on Fusion, do not install vmware-tools,

because it leads to a kernel panic.

But I can't boot it from ESXI!

Now, I will trying to change kext from 10.7.1

-------update

Ok, it's works both Fusion & ESXI with AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from 10.7.1

So you installed in fusion and then moved to ESXi ? I`m trying to install over 10.7.3 now, wondering how to move the file in place after install...

Is there anything special you that needs to be done to the DMG for Workstation 8? I'm able to boot when I create a VMDK for it, but it just beachballs forever. Same thing happen when I ran it locally in an existing Lion VM, prepares for install goes to reboot and just hangs out.

Is there anything special you that needs to be done to the DMG for Workstation 8? I'm able to boot when I create a VMDK for it, but it just beachballs forever. Same thing happen when I ran it locally in an existing Lion VM, prepares for install goes to reboot and just hangs out.

After the first reboot you should be at a grey screen with the black spinner and also a beachball cursor. Let it sit here for awhile (maybe up to 30 mins?) It took my VM about 15 minutes to get past this point but it went on to complete the installation "successfully".

However, after I do the initial boot into 10.8 the boot hangs at the grey apple screen with a black spinner that spins forever.

Is there a way I can boot it in verbose mode so i can see what's going wrong possibly?

Working fine here, latest VMW Workstation and 102 Unlocker. I made a VMDK installer (as per Lion instructions) and installed to a fresh 10.7 64Bit VM. It takes forever to boot but it gets there. :)

Also, the VMWare SVGA driver (1.2.4 I believe), by Zenith, wortks with ML. :)

EDIT: It pauses here for aaaaagggges before progressing and working fine (and fast)..

post-45206-0-00750900-1329504937_thumb.png

My first attempt to install fresh into ESXi5 did not work. I then tried to upgrade from 10.6.8 and 10.7.2, neither of which worked. Everything installs, but when it goes to reboot, it never returns.

Anyone have luck porting the vmdk file from fusion/workstation?

How do you get it to boot with text?

I've let mine sit at the booting screen for like 1.5 hours now and its still just stuck on the spinner. I don't know what to do.

Once it has booted once, I added "-v" to the com.apple.Boot.plist so I can see the bootlog..

Tried upgrading from 10.7.3 upgrade went fine, reboot = beachball, created bootdisk in the same way as with lion, boot from disk same story, beachball. I added -v to the boot plist file, and nothing odd is showing. It binds the network card and that's the last entry I got. It is at this beachball for about 15 minutes now, that should not be normal ..

Tried upgrading from 10.7.3 upgrade went fine, reboot = beachball, created bootdisk in the same way as with lion, boot from disk same story, beachball. I added -v to the boot plist file, and nothing odd is showing. It binds the network card and that's the last entry I got. It is at this beachball for about 15 minutes now, that should not be normal ..

I had the same experience. Freshly installed Lion VM, go to upgrade, takes FOREVER to get anywhere. Once after a couple hours I saw the usual "Install OS X" interface but it was beachballing and unresponsive. I normally don't get that far.

After full day of messing with this, got it to run on ESXi, installed on fusion, then used the 10.7.1 SCSI driver and fakeSMC. Seems to come up, fast enough. Will play later :)

Hmm, got it running as well, indeed using the 10.7.0 scsi driver, but... it takes about 15 minutes to boot, about 13 of those minutes it is just sitting there. Never heard of fakesmc, would that help here you recon ?

Works on VMware Virtualization 8.0.2 but the boot is very very slow :wallbash:post-936525-0-51117000-1329522797_thumb.png

I am through with this, been running Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and this one, and this one is utterly difficult to even run ! If it does run, it takes about 15 minutes to boot, when it finally does boot, and you shutdown and reboot, it is waiting for root device, which is really utterly stupid, this very problem has been chasing people for as long as I can remember. You either find the boot device, and then boot, or you don't. In any case, with the fakesmc someone mentioned, it actually booted normally (as in within a few minutes), but this time around after being booted into the desktop, the mouse didn't respond.

In any case, it seems this one can't be made to run fast and reliably. Maybe Apple should get a dam clue and look at Microsoft, where it doesn't matter which hardware you throw at it, it installs, boots and runs like a dream, and if it can't find the "root device" it simply says so within one second.

I am through with this, been running Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and this one, and this one is utterly difficult to even run ! If it does run, it takes about 15 minutes to boot, when it finally does boot, and you shutdown and reboot, it is waiting for root device, which is really utterly stupid, this very problem has been chasing people for as long as I can remember. You either find the boot device, and then boot, or you don't. In any case, with the fakesmc someone mentioned, it actually booted normally (as in within a few minutes), but this time around after being booted into the desktop, the mouse didn't respond.

In any case, it seems this one can't be made to run fast and reliably. Maybe Apple should get a dam clue and look at Microsoft, where it doesn't matter which hardware you throw at it, it installs, boots and runs like a dream, and if it can't find the "root device" it simply says so within one second.

Ok going to look past what you said about M$, but anyway my is running on ESXi just fine no issues, as fast as 10.7.3 is

The driver for video from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188962 seems to work, the darwin.iso guest tools do not

I got 10.8 to work in workstation 8.0.2 after doing a fresh install form a vmdk. However, after installing FakeSMC.kext i also have the problem where the mouse and keyboard don't work after it's rebooted with the .kext installed. Although the kext does reduce the boot time by a lot.

Ok going to look past what you said about M$, but anyway my is running on ESXi just fine no issues, as fast as 10.7.3 is

The driver for video from here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=188962 seems to work, the darwin.iso guest tools do not

Well, I managed to get the AppleLSIFusionMPT to survive a reboot, might have been a permission issue, I can confirm that zenith's video driver does work, as does the ensoniq sound driver. However the VM does boot without fakesmc in about 15-20 minutes, and with fakesmc in about 4, but the latter leads to no keyboard and no mouse, so I am wondering what I am missing here.

Hi, I'm also trying booting 10.8 ML DP1 on Vmware Workstation 8.0.2 but have the same beachball animated cursor loop (even sending keyboard command+v verbose mode) that at least responds on mouse movements; booting verbose seems that it hangs up at the ethernet network interface just the last step before the GUI, but even removing the network interface it hangs up at the same line exactly a step before. I've tried FakeSMC.kext instead but same result.

I've seen that editing the .vmx and setting this line smc.present = "FALSE" makes appear more quickly the beachball animated cursor, as it avoids some slowing steps.

To those who succeeded in boot I have these questions:

1) What VM settings do you have set? - Me: 2 Gb Ram, 2 processors, SCSI Hdd, SCSI cd/dvd, NAT, guest os 10.7 64 bit

2) While wait the 15-30 minutes do you see the beachball loop and in this mean time the VM hdd led icon is off or operating?

3) Do you have installed it starting from a Lion VM or from a 10.8 ML vmdk created ad hoc like Lion?

Thanks

I can add my vmx file here, but I`m on ESXi 5.... I do have smc.present = "FALSE" and fakesmc.kext, my boot time is less then a minute and I even reduced the RAM from 2GB to 1GB.

Ok I added the file, I cloned my current 10.7.3 machine, I never installed the unlocker, just installed the OS on Fusion, added the SCSI driver and fakesmc.kext and converted the vmdk on the ESXi 5 server.

Dont pay attention to DVS Ethernet settings this is for the distributed switch...

Mlion Testing2.vmx.txt

Thanks for your .vmx, but I think mine it's ok, and yes I know you can reduce the ram after, it's just a check before installing on the minimum hardware requirements. I've tried replacing in the vmdk installer image in S/L/E folder the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext with the old one, it seems more reactive in the first part of boot but it hangs on AppleIntel8254XEthernet address showing the spinning beachball wait cursor, and no activity led of virtual scsi hdd. Haven't tried yet updating a previous install of Lion VM, but I haven't enough space to clone.

Thanks for your .vmx, but I think mine it's ok, and yes I know you can reduce the ram after, it's just a check before installing on the minimum hardware requirements. I've tried replacing in the vmdk installer image in S/L/E folder the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext with the old one, it seems more reactive in the first part of boot but it hangs on AppleIntel8254XEthernet address showing the spinning beachball wait cursor, and no activity led of virtual scsi hdd. Haven't tried yet updating a previous install of Lion VM, but I haven't enough space to clone.

That's where it "hangs" on my system as well, and indeed no activity on the hdd, but... on my system, if I wait about 10 to 15 minutes, all of a sudden it actually boots to desktop and I can fully use ML. Now when I first added the fakesmc.kext, it boots normally, but no keyboard / mouse (useless in other words). I actually had smc=true in de vmx, so changed it, slapped the kext back in, but now I get waiting for dsmos and it doesn't proceed any further, getting rid of the fakesmc.kext fixes this, but this comes with an unacceptable boot time of 15 minutes.

edit: didn't notice it at first, but it is indeed waiting for dsmos to arrive for a full 13 minutes, then it announces the arrival of dsmos and gets straight to the desktop.

but are you talking about an installed ML or the installer vmdk created from the .dmg developer preview?

If you have already installed ML how have you done exactly?

That's my first issue I can't even install it, the vmtools for now are last of my issues.

Waited for an hour but the spinning beachball stay there either with apple logo either with verbose.