Get 8GB of ram

danageis

12 posts in this topic

So I have FINALLY got my hackintosh setup 100% working, except that I have to use maxmem=4096 or else I get a kernel panic on startup. I am running an AMD system with Legacy Kernel and nVidia 9600gt with GraphicsEnabler=Yes on SL 10.6.7. I have 8GB of ram in my machine.

My kernel flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist are "arch=i386 -force64 maxmem=4096 busratio=17", and -force64 with Legacy Kernel seems to initiate x86_64, judging from my activity monitor app which shows x86 and x64 processes (shows "Kind: Intel and Intel (64 bit)")

My question is would anybody know how I can utilize all 8GB of my ram without gettting KP?

I don't really know the answer, but what kind of panic do you get if you boot with all the 8GB? Please post a picture, there might be a possible solution. :)

Hope to hear something again ;)

Regards,

Wcool

Lol I'll get right on that I don't know why I didn't post that initially XD

So apparently I was mistaken: I just tried booting with "arch=i386 -force64 maxmem=8192 busratio=17" and I did NOT get a KP, however when I boot with these flags my system becomes incapable of running 32-bit processes (only process listed in Activity Monitor say 'Intel 64 bit' and all x86 apps [iTunes/Chrome] crash on launch]

I then tried booting with "arch=x86_64 maxmem=8192 busratio=17" and got a KP:

20120217175056.jpg

I tried booting with "arch=x86_64 -force64 maxmem=8192 busratio=17" as well and got a KP then too.

what if you boot with -v cpus=1

Only for testing, though. Otherwise I think that the AMD kernel has a limitation of 4GB, 'cause it's 32-bit with a 64-bit userland (I must be careful what I say now, because I do not even know what userland is, yet xD). But I do know that x86_64 is full 64-bit support and i386 with -force64 is somewhere in between. I am not really sure, but will look it up, also to expand my own knowledge, though. I'll post back if I have more info ;)

Ya I did some research and found that apparently with the Qoopz SL kernel you couldn't even run applications in 64-bit mode! I couldn't find anything specific to Nawcom's Legacy Kernels, but If they let you run in 64-bit but only use 8GB ram that's ok with me :)

In order to recognize 8GB RAM on AMD system and have everything work, you have to boot with 64bit kernel with 32bit userland, which means you have to patch your binary.

You need to downlaod AMD_Insn_Patcher from here and follow the instruction on this link. http://www.osx86.net/desktops/14304-guide-use-more-than-4gb-ram-amd-32-64-bit-apps-working.html

Good Luck.

wow thanks for the help todesto! Idk how I never fell across that page! I'll test it out now and let youall know how it goes

It works! thanks todesto. The only thing is now my teminal pops up:

dyld: shared cached file was build against a different libSystem.dylib, ignoring cache

Last login: Mon Feb 27 16:53:25 on console

dyld: shared cached file was build against a different libSystem.dylib, ignoring cache

when I open it... is this a problem or anything lol?

Regardless, thanks again it works perfectly [8GM RAM and 32 and 64 bit apps open fine] :)

That's good to hear! Glad to contribute to this great site as I learned alot from here as well.

Are you guys booting with arch=i386 -force64 or arch=x86_64 only?

arch=i386 -force64. Have not tried booting with arch=x86_64 but when I was booting with maxmem=4096 if I tried arch=x86_64 I would get a KP, I always assumed it had something to do with Nawcom's kernel. also I don't see any reason to:

screenshot20120228at548.png

thanks again todesto!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but

After I patch, my boot gets stuck at CheckSleepCapability.

Also, on the last step of the patch, I get a Segmentation Fault error.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Fixed. Installed Legacy kernel and now boots with force64.

Edited by JaFay