rxm888

14 posts in this topic

i happen to have an amd setup i would like to be able to install snow leopard on. i have looked around on youtube and found a few videos that show how to make the created installer work as if it was installing on a mac but they never end up showing how to make the installer for it. i also have looked for iso immages of the osx86 only to come up with several versions of the installer. also any copies i ever did try it gives you some kernal choices as to which kernal(s) to use and its confusing as to know which one(s) to use and make it work. i happen to have a gigabyte ga-ma69vm-s2 with an amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ running at 2.10ghz and 4gb of ram and an ati radeon 3600 hd. i want to be able to install the os without having issues and being able to make everything work.

My guide in my signature describes the method JamesLittler stated above. :) It's especially tailored for AMD builds.

BTW, with no installation (unless you custom built your machine to resemble somebody else's magic build) can you get everything working OOB. There are solutions for most anything, though. ;)

Give it a shot and see what happens. Remember that to get help you will have to be detailed with your issues and post screenshots, etc.

The ModCD technically supports USB booting, but the installer will not get patched, meaning Chameleon and drivers will have to be installed manually and you cannot install on MBR.

To patch the installer, you will need to use the ModCD's sister, the ModUSB. This can be created from Mac OS (very easy) or from Linux (requires some command-line knowledge and a LOT of patience).

i found a site or was pointed to a site that has the files i need to make the usb flash drive but i am not sure which files to use or where to even place the files once they are downloaded. http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/

thats the site i was given and it has all the files needed but never was told what to do with the files if i just drag and drop them to the flash drive or that i have special places i need to put them or what. the chipset on the board is an ati 690v chipset with realtek audio and networking also the video card is an ati radeon 3600 hd. i would like to be able to know where the files are to go just to make everything work right and so i dont screw anything up and have things not right or not work at all

now do i just drag and drop the files on the usb stick where i have the snow leopard installer or do i have to place it in one of the folders included on the installer. also do i have to include all the drivers and such with the installer or which would i have to do. do drivers install as if they were on a mac or which

The method depends on whether you are installing from Mac OS or Linux. In Mac OS, all you have to do is use Disk Utility to clone your DVD (image) to your USB drive, then run the ModUSB package onto your USB drive. In Linux, you have to clone your DVD and install the ModUSB from command-line.

i have the os installed and all that now i have to figure out how to get the kernal installed and working and how to get the components to work since i have the main os working and i had to have the usb installer boot the hd. once i booted to the hd and into the os i dont see a mac hd icon only the icon for the usb drive. also the network doesnt even work first off if i try to use the network or eithernet with auto dhcp it gives me a 169 number meaning that it doesnt have a working network connection. what would i do to install the kernal on the os and install the drivers. also how would i make it so that the windows boot kernal stops complaining when booted without the installer helper

Uh...please use punctuation. :)

You would not be able to boot to Mac OS if it could not view your hard drive. By default, you cannot see the HD icon on your desktop, but it is available in the sidebar of a Finder window.

Kernel? Isn't there a kernel already? You're booting from the hard drive OK? By default there is a kernel installed for AMD CPUs. You don't have to do a thing; just boot from your hard drive and you're good.

For Network, are you using a router or connecting directly into a cable modem? Cable modems can only work with one device at a time, and different OSes are seen as separate devices. Therefore, if you are connecting directly into a cable modem, you must turn it off (unplug it), wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

If you use a router, try just waiting a few minutes. Sometimes it will use a self-assigned IP (169.x.x.x) and then get the true IP (which, if it's a router, will be 192.168.x.x). If it still doesn't work, see if you can manually configure the router from another computer.

well the thing is that the only way i can get the os to boot from the hd is if i tell it to boot through the nawcom's usb boot menu otherwise it boots to a windows boot error. also with the networking it sees that there is a cable thats connected and it sees that there is a router but it gives me the router no internet connection ip address of 169.whatever. when i try to tell it what the routers ip is it still doesnt work but says its connected. also the audio doesnt fully work since its not seeing all the ports as usable. the only outputs it has is the front headphone jack the hdmi and spidif. the inputs are rear mic, front mic, and spidif and hdmi i think it was. so right now the only things i can do is use the programs that come preinstalled with snow leopard but not the internet. is there a way i can make this work since the boot kernal doesnt have the mac kernal but yet a windows boot loader. also getting the drivers setup.