NullCPUPwm slowing down my machine / Idle Temp questions..

4 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to this, so take it easy on me!

I have an HP xw8600 running 10.7.2 with the following:

no DSDT edits

2x x5450 Xeon

4gb RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

My question/problem..

With NullCPUPwm - My geekbench scores are kind of low - 8257, but idle temps are also low, at about 113f-117f (via iStat, and down to 111 as I type this). I also noticed that the CPU voltage always remains constant at 1.04v with NullCPUPwm installed.

Without NullCPUPwm - My geekbench scores are, in my opinion, awesome! - 11612 (destroying my 2010 17" i5 MBP 8gb RAM), but my idle temps are high (I think?) at about 126f - 129f and up to 140ish under load. But, the CPU voltage changes, so I guess speedstep must be working in some capacity without NullCPUPwm, going between 1.04v and 1.12v depending on load.

Its probably worth adding - I get this in my kernel log when booting without NullCPUPwm.

localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=2 LocalApicId=4 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=3 LocalApicId=2 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=4 LocalApicId=6 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=5 LocalApicId=1 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=6 LocalApicId=5 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=7 LocalApicId=3 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=8 LocalApicId=7 Enabled
localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
localhost kernel[0]: ** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider
localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I do have generate p and c states set in the boot plist too.

My question is, how can I get the best of both worlds here? Or am I worried about nothing in regard to temperature? I've researched a ton, but am having a hard time understanding everything.. tjmax, tcase temp etc..

I tried every method I could find for extracting DSDT's and SSDT tables, in Windows, Linux and OS X, and no matter what, there is no DSDT Scope (_PR) anywhere.. So I am at a loss.

Because I am pretty new to this, I am not sure what additional information I can provide to help you guys help me.. So please ask, and I will post whatever is needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

For the most part, yes. I've come a long way with getting everything working.

I realized thay the temps looked higher then they really were, the TjMax wasn't set correctly, IntelCPUMonitor was defaulting to 100, actual is 85.

I removed NullCPUPwm, everything seems fine.

I currently have 10.7.4, installed using ######/######.

The Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 works with full acceleration, QE/CI, Open CL etc. using GraphicsEnabler=yes

Built in ethernet is working with BCM5722D.kext, just needed to modify a device ID.

Sound works using the latest VooodooHDA, though not all inputs/outputs are enabled.

I even got the SAS controller working by adding the device ID to AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext.

Temps at idle are now much better, and GeekBench scores are great, consistently getting 11,8xx scores.

System sleeps and wakes fine with the power button, but doesnt wake well via mouse/keyboard.

Only thing I cant figure out is monitoring the Dual Xeons. I only get temps for one of them.. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

• 3 months later...