[Guide] Install 10.6.8 on AMD, getting around all errors (pci configuration)

xxRYBOxx

12 posts in this topic

Background

After searching though an abundance of forums to get through many errors and graphics problems, I have been able to put together 2 very successful AMD 10.6.8 computers. The process is very easy, and should work on any AMD computer.

System Specs:

Before you install

1. Download my Zip from rapidshare
  2. Unzip
  3. Burn The mod CD to a disk
  4. Go out and "buy" a copy of 10.6.3 or 10.6.4
  5. Reboot and go into bios
    • Make sure the drive you are installing to is set to AHCI
    • Turn off Cool N' Quiet
    • Turn off C1E

Install

1. Boot from that Mod CD that you burned earlier
  2. Wait till it shows the nawcom chameleon screen, insert the 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 disk and press F5
  3. When the install DVD pops up type in "GraphicsEnabler=No" and hit enter
  4. This should bring you to the install screen, if you have a problem, leave a comment below
  5. When you get to the install screen keep hitting next till you get to destination select and then open Disk Utility
  6. In Disk Utility, select the HDD you want to install to and then go to erase and name it what you want to.
  7. After you have erased it, it will show up in destinations, select it and hit next
  8. when you get to the last screen, hit Customize and deselect Graphics Enabler
  9. Click Install
  10. If all went well, it should bring you to the setup screen were you enter all your info(dont worry if the graphics look weird, that will be fixed when we update to 10.6.8)
  11. Go through everything, and then transfer the folder from the zip on to the mac desktop

Updateing to 10.6.8 to give you the app store and full graphics support

1. Download and install the 10.6.8 combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399 (DO NOT CLICK RESTART!!!)
  2. With the 10.6.8 window still open, go into the folder from the zip

1. Open up the legacy kernel package and finish installing that
    2. Open [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install the IOUSBFamily Rollback and System utilities ONLY
    3. Once that is complete, go in the Kexts folder, and open up Kext Wizard
    4. In Kext Wizard, go to the Installation tab, find and select the 2 kexts in kexts folder, click the System/Library/Extensions button, and click install
    5. Once completed, go into Maintenance click on the System/Library/Extensions button, and then click Execute
    6. After it is done(it takes a while), close Kext Wizard

[*]Go back to the combo update window, and click restart

Your Done!

(Hopefully, if you have any problems leave a comment and ill try to help you)

Edited by xxRYBOxx
  • Like 2

NETWORKING RETURNED [mystery why] after a few reboots. NEW PROBLEM

Using HEX string from EFI Studio did not fix Absence of Graphics Acceleration I had added hex to Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist

Unclear why a vanilla ASUS nvidia 8400GS 512Mb doesn't have QE/CI Acceleration

It's worked perfectly is several intel based Hackintoshes.

SUGGESTIONS ANYONE

The following has been solved

Upgrading to 10.6.8 from 10.6.3 Broke Networking of AMD PC

Need help from AMD gurus.

HP Pavillion a6230n AMD Athon II x64 5600 with nVidia Geforece 8400 GS 512 MB Video card. nVidi nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, 3GB RAM. USB Keyboard & Mouse

The PC has a 400GB HDD. Win 7 installed in one partition, OS X to be installed into another. The HDD was prepared as MBR previously. OS X partition Formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

I used above procedure exactly.

After 10.6.3 install Network & Sound were OK. I did not check Sleep. No video acceleration but I plan to fix that using string from EFI Studio.

After 10.6.8 upgrade NO NETWORKING. The Mac Network diagnostics believes there is no Ethernet Card?

I have built 2 Intel Hackintosh PCs and used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to fix Network Problems. This is my first experience with an AMD PC.

Separately, I have also tried building this PC as 10.6.7 using other procedures that included selecting [Checking during the OS install Customize option]. Legacy Kernel, Apple ATIATA, VoodooHDA and checking the Non-wireless LAN option and using Chameleon 2.1 Installer r1402.

Other procedure resulted in same problem Networking OK for 10.6.3 no Networking for 10.6.7.

Although the HDD is MBR, I am not guessing that's the problem, because everything was OK for 10.6.3 but not 10.6.7 or 10.6.8

I have [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to fix network problems on Intel PCs, but hesitate to use them because of big difference in motherboards. Is there a KEXT for my AMD PC?

NEW PROBLEM Using HEX string from EFI Studio did not fix Absence of Graphics Acceleration I had added hex to Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist Unclear why a vanilla ASUS nvidia 8400GS 512Mb doesn't have QE/CI Acceleration It's worked perfectly is several intel based Hackintoshes.

I' ve had a 8400GS 256MB video adapter recognized in OS X 10.7 with full QE/CI support just using the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" option in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. This switch practically orders the injection of the EFI strings present in your video card.

com.apple.Boot.plist is considered obsolete by newer versions of Chameleon/Chimera bootloaders and thus it is not used/read.

Thank you, this is truly simple and awesome guide...

everything worked flawlessly...

My specs are:

AMD 5000+,

Asus M3A,

9600GT

PS2 keyboard (had massive issues with this one earlier)

I did few things differently though.

- I installed from usb to which i restored 10.6.4 - no need to buy DL dvd, but working mac os is required (VirtualBox worked for me)

- I had issues with network, so i deselected network upon initial system installation, instead i installed kext in attachment New_AtherosL1Ethernet.zip (so if you have M3A mobo, it's a good idea to FIRST download all required files, especially combo update)

- I had to change com.apple.Boot.plist manually to enable graphics

(in /Applicatons/Utilies/Terminal type:

sudo open -e /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

enter your root password, text editor opens,

and then after <string>arch=i386</string> line add two lines

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

reboot, and graphics should be working)

- I had issues with choppy flash, youtube, etc.. Resolved them by following this guide>> ( http://youtu.be/gmoWoeNrkOs )

Once more, BIG thanks! SL purrs like cat... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the Guide, its really nice, but i still have a little problem.

Specs:

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe

AMD Phenom X4 9950

8GB DDR2 RAM

ASUS ATI HD 6950

I followed the Guide, including the Update to 10.6.8

After installing the "base system", i had to boot SL with -force64, as fsck couldnt be started (googled for it, ppl said it was because of more than 8 gigs of ram), causing the PC to shut down during boot.

I also enabled the x64 setting in the setup of the legacy kernel package during the upgrade to 10.6.8, as i was hoping this would set this flag automatically (which seemed to work).

The only problem i have now is the fact, that even with the update to 10.6.8 my GPU isn't working correctly, the graphics are still like before the update, the screen is underscanned and the only resolution is 1024x768

Im kinda new to all this, so maybe its an easy thing to fix, but the only guides i found for the 6950 were for Lion.

Edit:

Guess it won't work :\

http://forum.netkas....95.html#msg9095

Edit2:

Maybe it could work o:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34929&start=0

The way I got my Radeon HD6770 to work on my hackintosh is by flashing it to a HD5770, With TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor and WinFlash. ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR BIOS! ALWAYS! As long as you have them backed up you can feel free to experiment.

All I did was switch the vendor to ATI and put the model name under HD5770 and boom! full resolution in Mac. As for my Windows, it stopped recognizing it, so I restored the original Bios and it started working for Windows but not Mac. If I find a way around this, I'll be sure to tell you. Hope this helps!

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Redundant quote removed. Don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

when I trz to get this working, the szstem wont boot up after the update.

So I stuck at the boot.

Any suggestions about that?

Specs

AMD Athlon II 640 3GHz

Gigabyte 870A-USB3

HD 6870 XFX

P.S. When I updated, I wasnt able to keep the combo installshield open, it broke and closed.

So I just continued and restarted manually...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had some trouble installing this. I've included the kernel panics as an attachment. My specs are m4a79 deluxe motherboard, amd phenom 2 x4 940 3ghz, 8gb ddr2 800 RAM, 2x ATI radeon hd4650 1GB. The Mac disc im using is the 10.6 retail.

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks for the guide

post-984465-0-71407900-1333117448_thumb.jpg

post-984465-0-58856500-1333118032_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I followed your guide to update to 10.6.8 and now I can't boot into osx anymore. It's stuck at PCI Configuration begin. I use following in bootloader (nawcom cd 0.3.2) -v -force64 (in multib34st I checked the x64 box so I don't know if this is still necessary) arch=i386 busratio=14 maxmem=4096 . Then to resolve "PCI Configuration begin"-error I tried npci=0x1000 to 0x3000 + PCIRootUID=1 . But this didn't help. Any ideas ?

Thanks

My configuration:

cpu: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE

mobo: Asus M3A79-T Deluxe

mem: Corsair 8GB DDR2-800

gpu: Nvidia EN6200LE

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you, this is truly simple and awesome guide...

everything worked flawlessly...

My specs are:

AMD 5000+,

Asus M3A,

9600GT

PS2 keyboard (had massive issues with this one earlier)

I did few things differently though.

- I installed from usb to which i restored 10.6.4 - no need to buy DL dvd, but working mac os is required (VirtualBox worked for me)

- I had issues with network, so i deselected network upon initial system installation, instead i installed kext in attachment New_AtherosL1Ethernet.zip (so if you have M3A mobo, it's a good idea to FIRST download all required files, especially combo update)

- I had to change com.apple.Boot.plist manually to enable graphics

(in /Applicatons/Utilies/Terminal type:

sudo open -e /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

enter your root password, text editor opens,

and then after <string>arch=i386</string> line add two lines

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

reboot, and graphics should be working)

- I had issues with choppy flash, youtube, etc.. Resolved them by following this guide>> ( http://youtu.be/gmoWoeNrkOs )

Once more, BIG thanks! SL purrs like cat... :)

I had this problem too. Solved it with another fix...

Wandering around I found this topic on the forum (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253773-amd-dual-core-optimizer-for-snow-leopard/) and to my big surprise it worked perfect. Now Youtube videos don't crash anymore and even Google Chrome works good.

• 2 months later...

1. Download my Zip from rapidshare
    [...]

1. With the 10.6.8 window still open, go into the folder from the zip

1. Open up the legacy kernel package and finish installing that

2. Open ##### and install the IOUSBFamily Rollback and System utilities ONLY

3. Once that is complete, go in the Kexts folder, and open up Kext Wizard

4. In Kext Wizard, go to the Installation tab, find and select the 2 kexts in kexts folder, click the System/Library/Extensions button, and click install

5. Once completed, go into Maintenance click on the System/Library/Extensions button, and then click Execute

6. After it is done(it takes a while), close Kext Wizard

[...]

Hey xxRYBOxx, could you please re-upload the zip or tell me what the contents had been so I can install Mac OS X 10.6.8?