Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Realtek ALC892 hissing sound -- OS X Lion

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

This is the installation method I followed for my ASUS motherboard, taken from the excellent OSx86 Wiki (http://wiki.osx86pro....php/HCL_10.7.2)

Using iATKOS L2:

• Crimera 1.7
  • VoodooHDA
  • Ev0reboot
  • Mac App Store, iCloud, Facetime WORK with EthernetBuiltin in smbios ( I used MacPro3,1)
  • Graphic Enabler
  • Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet
  • Select AHCI and set in Bios AHCI Mode
  • FakeSMC

The guide recommends installing the VoodooHDA driver but, since I was given several versions at installation time, I chose them all. I don't remember but I think the versions were 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, ... and so on.

So, now system sound effects are working but I can hardly hear them over the general hissing and constant noise when I insert my headphones in the front audio jack (green). I've tried other "output" sound options from the system preferences and they seem to work, but the unpleasant noise just won't go away. I don't know what could be wrong.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and has solved it? My audio is REALTEK ALC892. Thanks guys.

Sure would have been nice to know the solution.. As I too have this problem. I guess thanks for pointing out it's solvable.. ha ha ha..

-- EDITED --

I found a solution that seems to have worked very well for me: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/255249-finaly-got-audio-working-alc892-msi-870a-g54-mainboard/

The jist:

1) Install VoodooHDA 2.7.3

2) Edit the VoodooHDA.kext's plist to change the "iGain" value to "0".

I also found this comment, I never tried it: Plug in a 3.5 mm headphone or any type of jack into the back pink microphone header. The fuzz should go away.

I'll add that I've been listening to music on my alc892 while writing this, I'm getting very very rare, sparse little crackles/pops. Not sure if it's the audio source content, my headphones or something like an improperly configured buffer in the driver (probably not that, but kind of resembles that).

And i finally found one of the biggest problems of the OSX86 scene. But i'll keep it to myself, as you did.

Great!!! :thumbsup_anim: