Lion and Windows 7?

danill2008

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have installed iAtkos L2 10.7.2. Works awesome! My Lion works without any problem.

Just one thing, I would also like to dual-boot with Windows 7. The reason for this, is gaming. If it wasn't for that, I would use Parrallels (will probably still for the odd windows app). But how do I go about running both.

Currently I have my whole 500Gb assigned on Lion (1 Partition, GUID Table, Mac OS Extended Journaled). I would like to shrink Lion to about 300Gb and then use the left over 200Gb for Windows 7. In theory it sounds simple, but as far as I know, if I go and install Windows 7 right now, won't it overwrite my current boot loader (Chameleon 2.0.0 RC5) and make it unable to boot into Lion?

Is there any way of doing this, without having to reformat, install Windows 7 first and then reinstall Lion?

When I first installed lion, I used GUID partition table and wasn't sure what MBR was going to do when I installed Lion, as well as how good GUID is going to work with Windows 7, so I decided to skip Windows 7, only to come back now and wonder how can I dual-boot both

Does anybody have any suggestions or links they can point me to?

I would really appreciate it, since this is the only thing that is still keeping me from my dream Mac :)

Regards

Hi,I have installed i..about running both

The best solution to have the highest power on Windows gaming is to use a native installation, not virtual machine installation. You're right.

Currently I have my whole 500Gb ...unable to boot into Lion?

You can install bootloader inside EFI partition so Windows can write in MBR without problems.You must follow a web guide to understand how to, you can find good manuals from your bootloader README or HOWTO.

You'll can have problems in time booting for Windows. In fact many people, me too, have experimented the two OSs in 1 disk and windows many time goes into booting black screen and you must waiting also 5-10-15 minutes. I don't know exactly what is the problem, many people says about GPT problems for Windows, any others speaking about EFI.Surely isnt a problem so a windows scandisk can solve :), too hard for a simple old utility eheheh.

I think the best solution is to have 2 disk, 1 GPT and 1 MBR.

Is there any way of doing this, without having to reformat, install Windows 7 first and then reinstall Lion?

If you want to use only 1 disk first of all if you think to shrinking Lion partition, you'll can have strange problems, errors in Lion. The best solution is to re-formatting all disk to GPT mode.

There is also an exactly method, in fact many BIOS doesnt support EFI and you can have problem in Windows to view others NTFS or FAT32 partitions:

First install your iAtkos and during installation the best method I have experimented is :

[GUID]

[Apple HFS]

128 mb free

[FAT32 part] (during Windows installation can be easily converted to NTFS)

128 mb free

[FAT32 part] (if you want another win part, during Windows installation can be easily converted to NTFS)

128 mb free

[Apple HFS] (if you want another MAC part)

When I first .. dual-boot both

You can install Lion, put bootloader on EFI, install windows without any problems.