[UPDATE! Download available!] Progress on AMD kernel for Lion

Rrrrrrrrrrr

33 posts in this topic

Big update! We are provided with an AMD kernel for 10.7.3!

Link: http://www.osx86.net/view/2584-mach_kernel_10.7.3_amd.html

There seem to be some issues using the finder since it's designed to only work in 64-bit mode in Lion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I wanted to open a topic to discuss the progress on an AMD kernel for Lion.

The guy that was responsible for previous legacy kernels for Snow Leopard, nawcom, is also looking into a kernel for Lion.

Oh I also thought about AMD stuff. I haven’t really played with AMD lately. I guess I should' date=' since not anyone really has gotten it working. I did see AnV make a lion legacy kernel, but since tested, it has failed every AMD user. So we still have some things to get finished I suppose.[/quote']

He mentions that AnV is also working on some kind of legacy kernel, but has had no success yet.

Use this thread to keep each other up to date about the progress of an AMD capable kernel for Mac OS X Lion.

Discuss!

• Like 1

Watching closely for a kernel for AMD processors.

In the meantime, trying existing AMD kernels as I find them.

If I get one to work, I will report it here.

• 4 weeks later...

Neolo, there is no working AMD kernel for Lion as of today and all the respective threads have gone quiet. Last I heard was that they suspect the lack of SSSE3 support in all but the Bulldozer and Fusion CPUs of AMD. Word has it that Lion requires them in order to run.

The problem might not even be in the kernel. A user at another forum actually managed to run andyvands kernel. But by run I mean that he did get past Chameleons loading screen. The system didn't boot up, there always was either a KP or a boot freeze

I get past the chameleon screen all the way to just past BSD root: disk3s2, major 14, minor 10 (on my system) and launchctl trys to do something.

The report I get from it is;

Dyld: Symbol not found: _si_search_module_set_flags

Referenced from: /bin/lanchctl expected in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.

This is using legacy_kernel_Anv R2 V8. which is Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0.

I am using legacy_kernel_Anv R2 v8.

Using www.tonymacx86.com ###### for lion I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install, ALC8xxHDA and ALC887/ALC888B kexts, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

Then from Miscellaneous I installed/upgraded ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, EvOreboot.kext, FakeSMC, (but not the plugins) IOUSBFamily_Rollback.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleRTC_Patch (not sure if it is needed, but I installed it anyway)

From Network I installed Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6

Chimera v1.7.0 is installed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Customization: Boot Options: PCI Configuration Fix, PCI Root ID Fix Generate CPU States (don't think they do anything in AMD, though), Use KernelCache

System Definitions: MacPro3,1 No Themes.

clicked OSx86 Software.

kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist is -v -f cpus=1 busratio=15 arch=i386 -force64 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=1.

This takes me all the way past the enabling of sound to just before going to the first desktop screen.

What I get at that point is :

com.appole.launchd 1 com.apple.launchctl.System 2 The System bootstrapper has crashed: Trace/BPT trap USBF: 8.583

AppleUSBOHCI(0x83058000)::CheckSleepCapability - unloades accross sleep.

I am getting really close to having Lion on my AMD CPU and Asus Motherboard!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So installation runs through? What Lion are you using, DPx, GM or Final?

iAKTOS L2 Lion.

Installed by sticking the DVD into my drive, then navigating to /System/Installation/Packages/ and clicking on OSInstall.mpkg

You can either update an existing 10.6.8 installation or delete /Library /System and your personal /Users/(whomever)/Library and installing fresh ones.

I do all this on a separate HDD that I have, so as not to mess up my running OS SnowLeopard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gets me into Lion 10.7.2 (updated ot 10.7.3 by downloading update from apple)

Finder won't work, but there are alternates available. Although if you see one that says CoolerMac 2.1, forget it. That one is bogus, atleast as of today.

You can open applications by clicking on the icon next to the finder one in the bar at the bottom. And actually start most of them. ReportCrash is eating up most of the CPU time, though, and I think that has a lot to do with the finder not working.

You have to change some stuff in your command line commands.

For SnowLeo I use -v -f cpus-1 busratio=30 arch=i386 -force64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1

For Lion I have to use -legacy -v cpus=2 busratio=30 arch=i386 (you can put in -force64, but it won't do any thing yet) GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0

From http://www.osx86.net/view/2584-mach_kernel_10.7.3_amd.html use the mach_kernel_V4 zip file. It is only a 32bit kernel at the moment, but it does work!

Ok

I just try 2584 kernel

1) I got a KP at boot from USB drive

(Classical Mac OS X Base System)

http://hpics.li/033ade7

2) Now if I use this Kernel under SL

I got a reboot at the end of .kext loading.

3) If I try to launch Lion OSInstall.mpkg from SL

it says that Mac OS X 10.7 can't be install on this computer

Any idea ?

Leon

Ok

I just try 2584 kernel

1) I got a KP at boot from USB drive

(Classical Mac OS X Base System)

http://hpics.li/033ade7

2) Now if I use this Kernel under SL

I got a reboot at the end of .kext loading.

3) If I try to launch Lion OSInstall.mpkg from SL

it says that Mac OS X 10.7 can't be install on this computer

Any idea ?

Leon

If u download iAtkos L2 Lion inside installation folder it has a file called i think 10.7.2 base os..u will be able to open it through snow leopard and install it on a separate partition or HDD.replace kernel and finder from Lion L2 and u are done!!! :king: