Can I install OSX on my hardware? (AMD Based)

LightInDark

3 posts in this topic

My newly built custom PC, has the following specs.

AMD Phenom II X4 970 (or something similar i cant remember the exact)

4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz Blu Ram

500GB SATA Drive

MSI 760GM-P23 Motherboard

Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB

SATA DVD-Writer.

The distro I have tried it with is iATKOS S3 V2 as its the only one i've had luck with, and only Snow Leopard I can successfully download.

It gets to the USB controller stuff then disc stops and I get Still waiting for root device.

I've had a hard time getting past that ''Still waiting for root device''. It seems to be a problem with some AMD chipsets, specifically the 7xx. Almost all the OSX distros I used resulted in the same message.

After a lot of time spent getting past that message, I finally bumped into something on the internet. A boot CD called Hack OS X boot, made by a brazilian OSX86 team for use with AMD (and Atom). All you have to do is burn it on a disk and boot into it. You will end up at a bootloader. This is where you swap your Hack OS X boot cd with a Snow Leopard retail (or something like iAtkos, but I don't recommend that as it might produce another problem, namely: getting stuck at PCI configuration begin). Now press F5 to refresh the bootloader and boot the Snow Leopard retail disk.

Here the (direct) link to the Bootcd: hackosx.com.br.

Good luck!

Thanks! Luckily I have a retail disc as well. Haven't had luck with it so its tucked away somewhere, but this should help. I've tried with nawcom mod cd (or similar name, im not good with remembering names) but when I hit F5 to refresh it crashed, maybe this will help. Thanks!