macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad it worked. I will be optimizing the Clover install and also updating the kexts for AppleHDA. Hopefully by 10.9.3

@rlasalle15 - No need to use VoodooHDA anymore. Just use the attached AppleHDA for 10.9.2.

There are four files: (Put config.plist in your EFI partition. Install kexts using Kext Utility)

config.plist - Added AppleHDA kext patching on the fly. Use this config.plist, make sure to update the serial number and other items that you generated using Chameleon Wizard or just copy the KernelAndKextPatches section to you config.plist

AppleHDA.kext - Mostly untouched just added our platform and layout as aml.zlib files for ALC665.

CustomPeripheral.kext - Used to inject our audio device config (thanks to TimeWalker75a)

CodecCommander.kext - Sends EAPD command to our audio device, prevents it from sleeping and stop working (thanks to TimeWalker75a)

Thanks a lot for this. If I'm not asking too much, any chance to do the same for AppleHDA.kext that comes with 10.9.3? Or some small guide to port the changes you did for this one?

And did anyone tried to used CUDA with the OS X? I wonder if it might work. I know that for displaying 3D our internal nVidia card will never work, since OS X does not support Optimus, but CUDA is accessing the GPU differently (for example in Linux one doesn't needs bumblebee active in order for CUDA to work, just needs the drivers installed).

@Don Quijote - There is nothing that is needed to be done to edit AppleHDA. It is done through Clover config file. Just use all the kext and config file from my post and you should be fine. The only thing you need to do is copy the .aml files (platforms.aml.zlib and Layout88.aml.zlib) located under AppleHDA/resources folder to the new version of AppleHDA.

I haven't tried using CUDA with OS X as I turn my card off. You can't make ACPI calls from OS X kernel like in Linux. 

• Like 1

@Don Quijote - There is nothing that is needed to be done to edit AppleHDA. It is done through Clover config file. Just use all the kext and config file from my post and you should be fine. The only thing you need to do is copy the .aml files (platforms.aml.zlib and Layout88.aml.zlib) located under AppleHDA/resources folder to the new version of AppleHDA.

I haven't tried using CUDA with OS X as I turn my card off. You can't make ACPI calls from OS X kernel like in Linux.

Updated to 10.9.3 and it's all running smooth. Didn't had much hopes about CUDA, thanks for clarifying it though.

P.S. Feels good to come back to OS X after like 2 years. Had it as the only OS back then, when I had a Dell Latitude D620 with OS X 10.7 on it. Always wished to come back to it ever since, but the projects I was working on kept me tied to Windows. Now, since I can do again what I like, I took the plunge and reinstalled OS X on my current laptop. Your guide fitted like a glove. I can't tell I really miss the Nvidia card, since I never used this laptop for games.

• 2 weeks later...

Fingers crossed I now have a working hackintosh dual boot with windows after following the Cloverboot tutorial in this thread and also some tips from this fab thread here...http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/?p=1969408

Just a couple of queries tho... when I am in OSX the screen seems maybe 30% dimmer than in Windows even at max brightness. The weird thing is that this issue resolves itself if I leave the computer idle till the display turn's off and then wake it with a quick press of the power button...

Any idea why that might be?

Also I primarily did this because I'm an editor and prefer Final Cut pro to Premiere, so if there was any chance of getting CUDA working that would make a massive difference for people like me...

Looking around there seem to be CUDA drivers for Mac, so just wondering what the obstacles are to using these, Is it just that there is no way of making these work with an Optimus card? Would be really interested to hear more detail about this...:)

I read on he thread that the 555m will never work because of Optimus, So now I'm wondering what laptop I could get that has a powerful graphics card that would work. I see the top of the range Mac Book Pro switches between Intel Iris Pro and the nvidia 750m so what method of switching does that use and are there any PC laptops that work the same way that I could buy?

I found a thread here where someone reckons they got a nvidia 540m with Optimus working on an Acer 4750...

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1385-gt-540m-worked-on-acer-4750g/

I don't really understand all this enough yet to make any sense of what everyone is saying there but does anyone here think a similar method might work to get the 555m working on the l702x?

Yeah that's why the linked thread in the above post is interesting...despite what everyone says is a hard and fast impossibility the person on that thread seems to have made it work... So maybe we shouldn't all give up hope...

Did you read the thread I linked too Do you think it's bogus or have I misunderstood it or something?

There is also this thread too which suggests there may be some hope...

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2280

So yes I know the recieved wisdom is that osx doesn't support Optimus, but I am starting to think with a bit of collective effort and pooling our resources we may be able to find a work around...

This will never happen though if people just treat the issue as a closed book and dogmatically state 'it will never work' simply because osx doesn't offically support it...

Surely the entire point of the hackintosh community is to try and make osx work with hardware it isn't intended to work with!

Please if you have time look at the two threads I mention and, if you can, tell us why the first one is not proving that a card with Optimus is working with OSX and regarding the second one, why you don't think Triosx's idea will work if we can find someone to do it?

Has anyone tried OS X 10.10 ? if you guys have tried it, can someone post the memory management ( i mean ram consumption on the new os) Pic. I just want to know the ram consumption and processes loaded on the second boot at idle.

cheers

@ mackyreddy - Not going to install it until the second seed. The first seed have some issues.

@davidosullivan - We have looked hard at solving the Optimus but the design is different and Apple's implementation is different then NVIDIA. We as community can't even make non-apple wifi cards(like Intel and not broadcom or atheros) to work so making optimus work is a long shot.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2315

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/04/inside-apples-automatic-gpu-switching/

Hello once again, 

I have a bit of a problem.. Osxaptiofixdrv-64.efi error.. It says something about memory allocation failed, reloc memory exceeds memory... something like this.. I tried different versions of this file, from different editions of clover, but it is always the same. i can boot in normal mode or with injected kexts or by ignoring cache, but when i try to boot with ignore cahce and inject kext, it gives this error.. what could be the problem? i am using maverick 10.9.1 and whant to update, but because of this error i am in a bit of a struggle.

@ Pashulia - You can try the suggestions here: http://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/wiki/Troubleshooting%20UEFI%20Boot/

or http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=1855396

If it still doesn't work you may want to post in the Clover General Discussion under Bootloaders sub-forum. Also you might want to add detailed specs of your machine in your signature.

anyone can upload mavericks kexts pls. ? Ive managed to install 10.9.3 using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method not sure about DSDT and SSDTs. Also some kexts causing problems. + Cant seem to make bootloader work so for now booting with USB. Any help appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

If anybody of you is booting with the Clover config made by Webcivilian 10 8.3 -10 8.5 with the the AppleHDA.kext patched by him and loosing sometimes sound, there is an easy solution to make it work again. Copy the patched AppleHDA.kext to desktop and navigate in it´s Resoures folder. From there copy a duplicate of layout88.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib file to desktop and rename the duplicates to layout88.aml.zlib and Platorms.aml.zlib. After that copy the renamed duplicates to Resoures folder of AppleHDA.Kext and install the modified kext back with your preffered kextutility to S/L/E by repairing permissons. Reboot with ignoring caches and you have proper working sound again, even if you boot with Chameleon, sound stays working.

Have fun.

@styrian - Which kext are you using. It should work without you losing sound. Refer to this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273500-os-x-mountain-lion-install-guide-for-dell-xps-17-l702x-optimus/?p=2009722

for Clover 10.9.2.

@romturk - Maybe you can switch to Clover. I'm exclusively clover now. But if you can't I can try to get you an updated kext for Chameleon.