macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

iatkos ML2 fails to install everytime for me in Virtual machine with extension pack (64bit). I have tried customising settings several times and still fails.

I have not even got to the kexts and packs yet (which I am not looking forward to because of my dyslexia) and I am already wanting to give up. Any idea's?

im not sure about installation in Virtual Machine. But if you use Iatkos ML2 , following intstruction on first post with correct ssdt and dsdt all works OK.

@MBdip

I see. The point is that our NVIDIA chips (GF106) have been supported at least since the ML release. So driver support for them is not new. The culprit is the Optimus implementation on our machines, where the integrated graphics processor is the primary device, and the device the screen is connected to. On some machines there is a BIOS option to disable Optimus, on our's there is not. And then there is no way to make Optimus work on OS X. Even Linux is struggling with it.

im not sure about installation in Virtual Machine. But if you use Iatkos ML2 , following intstruction on first post with correct ssdt and dsdt all works OK.

So I dont need to use VM to be in Mac OS to create a USB install ??? Thought I had to put kexts etc in place before attempting to install? Not sure if I am confused or read it wrong. I also see ML3 is out for download, shall i just install that instead?

So I dont need to use VM to be in Mac OS to create a USB install ??? Thought I had to put kexts etc in place before attempting to install? Not sure if I am confused or read it wrong. I also see ML3 is out for download, shall i just install that instead?

I used dvd method. Also u may do that via new transmac (burning dvd image to usb) check ml3u installation instructions and use for ml2. I failed with ml3u btw ao we are waiting experts here to prep a guide for noobs like us for ml3u

OK so i did the USB method in windows via Transmac - followed instructions slowly and carefully and double checked them a few times.

Upon booting off DVD it freezes on the "Press F8 for boot options" screen if i hit any key to boot or leave the timer run down. The screen just freezes and does not respond so i can't even punch in any flags that may be required. It also screwed up window's booting so I had to do a startup repair

Any idea's?

OK so i did the USB method in windows via Transmac - followed instructions slowly and carefully and double checked them a few times.

Upon booting off DVD it freezes on the "Press F8 for boot options" screen if i hit any key to boot or leave the timer run down. The screen just freezes and does not respond so i can't even punch in any flags that may be required. It also screwed up window's booting so I had to do a startup repair

Any idea's?

So Im a noob as like most of us here. Since i messed my prev installation i decided to start over :) (as i do every week). Ill go step by step how i did.

#1 following instruction on first post installed Iatkos L2 using DVD method.

#2 Prepared Iatkos ML2 usb from working Iatkos L2 installation

#3 Using this usb i installed ML2 following intructions strictly .. Nothing else !! Including installation of 10.8.3 combo update.

So i have now a working 10.8.3 on my laptop on second HDD.

if you have only one HDD installation will overwrite Boot sector.. So it will replace windows boot section. but you still can go to windows from boot options of chameleon.

I clearly say here I just followed instructions and Iatkos dmgs downloaded from internet.

One thing to note. after i installed ML2 first time i had to use boot options -v -x but after i install 10.8.3 as suggested all worked well. My geekbench http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1999479 9740.. SO i think its OK for mountain lion.

OK so using virtual box i boot from the DMG file that i burn and up comes a kernal panic saying expected 1 thread but had 2

I re-created the DMG using transmac instructions and attempted to use in virtual machine and again same error. If i use iatkos unedited it will go through all the install but crash on the with 4 minutes remaining to install

I have even combined installation of original ESD img by replacing all existing iatkos files with L702x kexts with again, the same kernal panic about 1 thread and discovering 2.

I actually have a head ache from trying various combinations.

OK so using virtual box i boot from the DMG file that i burn and up comes a kernal panic saying expected 1 thread but had 2

I re-created the DMG using transmac instructions and attempted to use in virtual machine and again same error. If i use iatkos unedited it will go through all the install but crash on the with 4 minutes remaining to install

I have even combined installation of original ESD img by replacing all existing iatkos files with L702x kexts with again, the same kernal panic about 1 thread and discovering 2.

I actually have a head ache from trying various combinations.

I never used Virtual box method. Use DVD method as described on first post !

If you are interested in using an iATKOS ML2 DVD then lets get started by creating a suitable iATKOS ML2 DVD for DELL XPS by using Transmac App on Windows 7 or 8.You need to change dsdt / ssdt from iatkos DMG to be able to boot on our machines ..

iatkos ML2 fails to install everytime for me in Virtual machine with extension pack (64bit). I have tried customising settings several times and still fails.

I have not even got to the kexts and packs yet (which I am not looking forward to because of my dyslexia) and I am already wanting to give up. Any idea's?

Use latest version of Oracle virtual box, install it and also install latest virtual box extension pack.

1. Open virtual box create a new virtual machine with your desired name and then select Mac OS X in type & in version select Mac OS X (64 bit).

2. set ram to 2048 mb or 2gb

3. Create a new virtual hard drive with VDI extension, dynamically allocated and finally save the 20 GB file to a safe place where you have at least 20 gigs of file space and finally create the new virtual machine.

4. Now select the new just created virtual machine and click on settings, on the left pane select system, now under motherboard tab deselect floppy and move it down the boot order and now the most important step deselect or uncheck the Enable EFi ( Special OSes Only).

5. Now in the left pane select storage, under Controller: IDE click on empty and on the right side in CD/DVD drive click on the CD icon and navigate to iAtkos ML2 dmg file, now click on Controller: SATA, check or select use host I/O cache, press ok.

6. Now start the virtual machine, wait till welcome screen and from utilities use disk utility and create new MBR partition and format it as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and then install with default customization, no need to change anything.

7. Wait till installation completes, mostly installation never succeeds and it should result in a kernel panic. Now close the virtual machine window by using the option power off the machine instead of send shutdown signal.

8. Now again start the virtual machine, by default it loads iatkos dvd so either hit F8 and select the partition and load it or simply deselect or remove iakos dvd from settings.

9. Now just wait till the welcome screen appears start setting up the system and you should be on OS X desktop.

regards

Thanks for the reply macreddy but i have already tried this. I found that oracle crashes if there is more than 2 cpu's listed on my machine - i choose 8 for faster install??? Upon installation under oracle I have tried dozens of combinations under the customise and i have expanded and recompressed the DMG file several times now and burned to disc to attempt install.

I have finally given up, sorry to say. But I really appreciate the help on here and the fab guides.

Just so you guys now for comparison, my L702x is a 2670QM, 8Gb, 500Gb + 256Gb SSD (i tried single drives and a blank drive), non 3D 555m, blue ray drive, 1920x1080 and A19 bios

Maybe i will join the darkside and get a mac one day? Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply macreddy but i have already tried this. I found that oracle crashes if there is more than 2 cpu's listed on my machine - i choose 8 for faster install??? Upon installation under oracle I have tried dozens of combinations under the customise and i have expanded and recompressed the DMG file several times now and burned to disc to attempt install.

I have finally given up, sorry to say. But I really appreciate the help on here and the fab guides.

Just so you guys now for comparison, my L702x is a 2670QM, 8Gb, 500Gb + 256Gb SSD (i tried single drives and a blank drive), non 3D 555m, blue ray drive, 1920x1080 and A19 bios

Maybe i will join the darkside and get a mac one day? Thanks again.

I have exactly same configuration as you.. and it worked out of the box as i described above. I recommend using DVD method which i succeed every time. Just followed Mcreddy guide + Iatkos DMG (burned via transmac in Win) after changed ssdt dsdt. used nvidia off dsdt.. Im sure you are missing a simple point only. Only reason not to boot at all would be wrong ssdt and dsdt i think.

Anybody found a way that we can disable optimus and enable only Nvidia via bios ? i have gone through all settings but none seem to have any effect.

Only 2 things that are currently not working, Nvidia Optimus and Intel Wifi.

1. Nvidia optimus is the only hope, we cant enable nvidia by disabling intel, its not possible with our xps hardware architecture design.By disabling intel all you get is a black or blank screen as screen is attached to intel card ( if you have noticed carefully even on windows you cant install nvidia drivers without installing intel and making the card active.)

This the reason why bios guru's are not able to disable intel and enable nvidia as it's not physically attached to laptop screen. So now only hope is pray for Apple to introduce Nvidia Optimus technology along without the use of hardware mux chip which they are currently using to switch between intel and nvidia cards,

2. Regarding intel wifi some developer needs to write a new kext to make it work or just pray for Apple and hope they introduce a new intel wifi chip instead of Broadcom in their new coming generation Macbook, Air & Pro

Well, I an having a bit of a problem. I had 10.7.2 installed perfectly fine, but after a few days of use, kept on getting a blank screen after boot up, so decided to go with a fresh install of 10.8.2 instead. Also decided to do it on my SSD (after partitioning it, of course alongside my Win 7).Set up the install USB on a virtual box, and successfully went through the install process. The problem I am having is though, that MacDrive won't see the drive, no matter what I've tried. I've tried to reinstall about 3 times with the same outcome, and even tried to do it on my HDD instead of SSD to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

After long tried i purchased a AR5B195 internal wireless and replaced with Intel n1030. using kexts from kexts.com made it work. So now i have a working wireless. I still have problem with sleep though. 2670QM cpu. using n-vidia off dsdt. Any ideas ?

@ mackyreddy

Can you update the kext pack with the attached updated files. It has the updated FakeSMC kext where I have added keys and sensor information. This is the most stable FakeSMC build and really works great in conjunction with my Nvidia Off DSDT. Also included in HWMonitor and updated SSDT for i7-2630QM. This new SSDT fixes some of the MSR issue with old ones. Make sure to update the chameleon plist and remove the generation of P states.

L702X Updated Kexts.zip

@ romturk - The FakeSMC version is universal. You will just need to use my NVIDIA off DSDT to get some more sensor information. If you don't use my DSDT you will still get a stable version with updated SMC version and correct keys for L702X/L502X laptops.

I don't have access to a i7-2670QM machine running OSX but you can generate the proper SSDT yourself. The updated script for SSDT generation by Pike-Alpha is available at GitHub: https://github.com/P...ls/ssdtPRGen.sh

It is based on revogirl's script. All you need to do is delete the current SSDT so it doesn't get loaded during boot, drop the SSDT in your boot.plist and don't generate any states, boot into OSX. Now run the script and it will generate the ssdt for your CPU.

@ mackyreddy - The 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 versions of AppleHDA are the same 2.3.7 and don't need updating, they are just compiled recently. I will send you a version some time later in any case.

Hello everyone,

Added OS X 10.8.4 Preinstalled image download link to the kext pack, those who are interested go ahead and download.

Uploading hasn't finished meanwhile you can download the successfully uploaded files, in total there are 23 files which can be joined with the help of hjsplit.

Update:

Finished uploading

Has any one tried OS X 10.9 Mavericks ? Well i couldn't get Intel HD 3000 QE/CI with the new kexts. And looks sluggish with 108 processes 410 threads, memory consumption around 1.4 GB without active intel HD 3000 kexts.

Windows 8 seems to be much ahead of the race with 29 processes and consumes around 800 MB, apart from the UI debacle.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried installing the iAtkos ML2 using a DVD as i had the image burned to DVD from a long time & deleted that onto my L502X

As per ur instructions i deleted & copied the new files from the zip file but when I boot into ML2 "Restart error" comes & i have uploaded a image of that.

Help needed.

Thank You.

post-1185786-0-08213400-1371825581_thumb.jpg