macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

@ Jupiter Moon

Can u just let me know ur USB Dev-ids, check the pics my USB-Dev-id's are 1C26 and 1C2D.

And after this i need the Addresses of the USB Dev-id's as well, which can found in this way.

1. Just double click the Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - UR Dev-id

2. Then go to details tab, Now in Property drop down menu select ADDRESS and please let me know the value, please do the same to the other USB host controller as well, just let me know the 2 USB Dev-ids and their Addresses.

post-197843-0-93309500-1331040483_thumb.jpg

post-197843-0-31401500-1331040496_thumb.jpg

Jupitersmoon, Do you choose the gf100 kext when installing? And do you follow the intelsnbgraphicfb.kext steps?

Cheers

Mahesh, Are you trying to patch the dsdt to suit our laptops? That would be awesome cheers.And what is a vanilla dsdt?

No I didn't bother with that bit. I assumed it related to non 3d. I doubt it matters either way.

And yes gf100 when installing.

@ Jupiter Moon

Can u just let me know ur USB Dev-ids, check the pics my USB-Dev-id's are 1C26 and 1C2D.

And after this i need the Addresses of the USB Dev-id's as well, which can found in this way.

1. Just double click the Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - UR Dev-id

2. Then go to details tab, Now in Property drop down menu select ADDRESS and please let me know the value, please do the same to the other USB host controller as well, just let me know the 2 USB Dev-ids and their Addresses.

Same

1C26 - 001D0000

1C2D - 001A0000

Download the DSDT from the previous post, i just added ur USB Dev-id's to the DSDT, recompiled and attached a new DSDT.

cheers, i just saw that after posting usb specs.

i tried it and my usb is working with it but my audio isn't working now.

I know its not the ideal but i just installed voodooHDA and my sound is back and better than ever. More bass and is also recognising HDMI audio.

I think I'm good to go. Thank you for all your help.

VoodooHDA-2.7.3.pkg.zip

If u have 2630 QM processor then use my SSDT, if u have 2670 QM then use the archive Core i7 2670 QM from the first post.

U can use DSDT & SSDT at any time, just place them in the root of the Lion partition.

Okay thanks.

I just did a clean install and everything seemed great, full HD, bootloader, audio, ethernet pretty much everything.

But whenever I unplug my USB mouse, It crashes and tells me to restart my computer. Never did this before so it might be the DSDT. I have the same USB info as you and jupitersmoon. Quite annoying but hopefully its an easy solution.

I think thats the problem anyway.

Cheers

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I updated to 10.7.3 and now its completely messed up. I cannot boot into it at all. When I boot verbose It tells me my MAC OS version is not yet set amongst a load of other things. (I have a picture if you want it).

I cannot boot -x or -v.

I thought it was all going so well :(

Jupitersmoon seemed to update fine to 10.7.3, what went wrong for me?!

I'm having problems booting my XPS. I copied iAtkos L2 to a USB drive and installed Chameleon over it using my MBA w/Lion, but when during the boot on XPS it comes time to mount root, it drops out and keeps looking for a root partition it cannot find. That happens both with USB2 and USB3 ports.

I've tried this both with an unmodified USB drive and the kernel options (-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=22), as well as modifying the USB drive with the appropriate files.

Oddly enough, I got it to work once (Carbon Copy Cloner, Chameleon, no mods, left side USB port, boot with options, HDD in the XPS was an empty NTFS D: partition) as far as the installer, but I haven't been able to replicate that since even with the exact same procedure on the same USB key right afterward.

-v verbose ends at:

rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: [someuuidorother]

From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still waiting for root device

etc.

Specs:

L702x w/ BIOS A16

i7 2670

2x4GB

FullHD 3D screen w/ GT555M 3 GB

Samsung PM830 512GB SSD

@Mahesh

Ok fair enought this will be my last post, you really should have put "non 3d" in the title. Im afraid you now have enough info here for both models. Thank you though, without your help I probably would have given up ages ago.

@RDGnome

The USB on the left side is different to the two on the back. The back ones are 3.0. Also I have the Bluetooth L702x version and use an apple magic mouse. One thing I did when I upgraded to 10.7.3 was install the 10.7.3 intelcpupowermanagement.kext I found it on the other forum.

Peace out y'all :)

Please dont post any XPS 17 3D problems here, if u need any suggestions please post in this thread http://tonymacx86.co...pic.php?t=23185. Let this thread be confined to XPS 17 Optimus.

Wait, the software here does not apply to the 3D version?

Intel HD3000 QE/CI Works 100% with Patched DSDT & Nvidia GT 555M Optimus doesnt work ( No 3d )

Wasn't at all clear to me, I thought it said that the 3D and the Optimus functions didn't work. Does the 3D version not use Optimus, that you're calling the non-3D by "Optimus" name?

@ Jupitermoon, RDGnome

No offenses towards any XPS 17 3D owners, the reason why i want it confined to only XPS 17 Optimus is beacuse i dont have a 3D Screen and i really cant solve or mitigate your problems. Thats the reason why i asked u guys to navigate over to tonymacx86 forum.

Point taken i will change the title of the thread.

For Optimus Laptops i was recommending to delete the Nvidia Fermi kexts ( required for 3D Laptops ) as they are causing problems of screen distortions on Optimus laptops. Where as this guide might be echoing completely contradicting information for 3D laptops and can cause conflicts. For example member JRJ didnt knew the difference between Optimus & 3D models. So i just don't want to create a panic and confusion.

Even in my previous post i said you are welcome to use my guide if it works for you.

If you guys want to take over responsibility of solving the problems of 3D owners and if you can provide kexts & DSDT for 3D laptops and if u can provide me the new guide with required changes for 3D laptop, then i will add this info in my first post and but u guys need to visit this thread frequently to solve the problems posted in this thread. Then we can have common thread for both Optimus and 3D screen laptops.

Please let me know if u guys are ok with it.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm far too much of a beginner to build a DSDT right now, let alone solving problems with them. Thanks for your efforts, and particularly for the pointer to iAtkos -- iAtkos CD has allowed me to do the bare install now, whereas I wasn't able to boot from ###### or iAtkos on USB at all.

Edit: Oh.. I guess that's a dirty word here.

I have Dell XPS 502x with i7-2630QM. My Geekbench score on 64-bit tests is 7414 (http://browse.geekbe...ekbench2/573358) . I've installed AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement kext per your instructions but score stays around same level.

Update: after delling NullCPU kext and correctly installing AppleIntelCPU kext my score is measuring depending on test conditions from 9400 to 9600.

Thank you for your great efforts!

Reasons for Screen distortion can be many but not DSDT. Presence of Nvidia kexts, Intel GMA kexts, improper generation of kernelcache etc can cause screen distortions.

Reasons for Screen distortion can be many but not DSDT. Presence of Nvidia kexts, Intel GMA kexts, improper generation of kernelcache etc can cause screen distortions.

Very strange. Here are the steps I tried:

Removed all custom kext's

Removed AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

Deleted cache

Deleted DSDT.aml (jon lachonis one)

Reboot

Reinstall Kext's

Clear Cache again

Add your DSDT.aml from the original package (not the one you patched for me)

And 1600x900 resolution comes back flawlessy

But if I repeat the steps and substitute the DSDT you patched for me, the screen goes bonkers.

One thing about my laptop that I noticed, it runs the intel graphics drivers in windows even though it has the nvidia chipset. Furthermore, I looked at a list comparing the different iterations of the l702x and it said mine had a 'hybrid' graphics system. Does this mean anything? Otherwise, it looks like I'm stuck just using the DSDT that you included initially.

Just passed 2 quitz for enabling replying.

What a great instruction for osx86 on L702X. In fact, if you search google, every related page is associated with Mahesh.

By following steps, I managed to install 10.7.2 to my L702X with intel 2630qm cpu, 4GB memory and Crucial M4 SSD. All the patched are downloaded from the first page except for the v0.6 DSDT from osx86.net.

The SSD 64GB is partitioned into 2, with the first 40GB for windows and the second 20GB for OSX. Windows is pre-installed. I've got another HDD where windows 7 PE is installed.

Now let me raise the following bullets:

1. In step 6, it said "we only need these 7 Kexts", does it mean we need to delete all the other files in S.L.E folder, or just delete what are listed?

2. The screen is not in full brightness unless it has been shut for saving energy. So everytime after boot, I have to sit for 1min waiting for the screen to automatically shut for full brightness when switched back on.

3. The Sleep function is not working, Once in the sleep mode, you are unable to wake it up properly, just black screen + noisy fan, even the Cap Lock buttern light will not lighten.

4. The card reader is not working, but it is rarely an issue for me.

5. The Delete button is not functionable for deleting files, (i'm a complete newbie, is it normal? Is there any shortcut for deleting files?)

6. The sound quality is much worse than in win7.

7. The system profile shows that SSD trim is "YES", iatlos was customized to include ssd trim option.

8. I've only got mark 6938 from Geekbench, http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/574349, I think it's mainly due to my small 4GB ram rather than 8GB for most osx86ers. Any ideas?

9. As I have three bootable systems (osx, win7, win7pe) and mainly using win7, I found it more convenient by setting the boot flag to win7 partition rather than os x partition from parted magic software, and installing easybcd in win7 and add the os x as a 3rd entry. That way, the pc boots directly into windows boot manager rather than chameleon, saving time.

10. Does anyone know why my 2nd partition of SSD where the os x is installed is not in my device list from the finder? I found from disk utility that its mount point is "\". How do I change that mount point?

11. Does anyone know how to spoof the MAC address of my wired ethernet card? I have tried command sudo ifconfig en1 ether 00:e2:e3:e4:e5:e6 in terminal (after entering password), but the MAC address was not changed.

Finally, thanks again Mahesh and osx86 community members. Your work and discussion are much appreciated.

Harry

small-logo.png

• Like 1

Just passed 2 quitz for enabling replying.

What a great instruction for osx86 on L702X. In fact, if you search google, every related page is associated with Mahesh.

By following steps, I managed to install 10.7.2 to my L702X with intel 2630qm cpu, 4GB memory and Crucial M4 SSD. All the patched are downloaded from the first page except for the v0.6 DSDT from osx86.net.

The SSD 64GB is partitioned into 2, with the first 40GB for windows and the second 20GB for OSX. Windows is pre-installed. I've got another HDD where windows 7 PE is installed.

Now let me raise the following bullets:

1. In step 6, it said "we only need these 7 Kexts", does it mean we need to delete all the other files in S.L.E folder, or just delete what are listed?

2. The screen is not in full brightness unless it has been shut for saving energy. So everytime after boot, I have to sit for 1min waiting for the screen to automatically shut for full brightness when switched back on.

3. The Sleep function is not working, Once in the sleep mode, you are unable to wake it up properly, just black screen + noisy fan, even the Cap Lock buttern light will not lighten.

4. The card reader is not working, but it is rarely an issue for me.

5. The Delete button is not functionable for deleting files, (i'm a complete newbie, is it normal? Is there any shortcut for deleting files?)

6. The sound quality is much worse than in win7.

7. The system profile shows that SSD trim is "YES", iatlos was customized to include ssd trim option.

8. I've only got mark 6938 from Geekbench, http://browse.geekbe...ekbench2/574349, I think it's mainly due to my small 4GB ram rather than 8GB for most osx86ers. Any ideas?

9. As I have three bootable systems (osx, win7, win7pe) and mainly using win7, I found it more convenient by setting the boot flag to win7 partition rather than os x partition from parted magic software, and installing easybcd in win7 and add the os x as a 3rd entry. That way, the pc boots directly into windows boot manager rather than chameleon, saving time.

10. Does anyone know why my 2nd partition of SSD where the os x is installed is not in my device list from the finder? I found from disk utility that its mount point is "\". How do I change that mount point?

11. Does anyone know how to spoof the MAC address of my wired ethernet card? I have tried command sudo ifconfig en1 ether 00:e2:e3:e4:e5:e6 in terminal (after entering password), but the MAC address was not changed.

Finally, thanks again Mahesh and osx86 community members. Your work and discussion are much appreciated.

Harry

small-logo.png

Infact Its me who uploaded the DELL XPS 17 L702X DSDT V0.6, macky_reddy is one of my profiles which i created in kexts.com ( currently osx86.net). I guess other than me there were no one who actually tried to patch XPS 17 Optimus, I struggled to the core to get this lappy working, literally I checked every line for C language logic in 9800 lines of DSDT code.

But it really pays off when i get to know that there are people enjoying my work and at the same time they are taking time to appreciate me. Thanks very much for your support guys.

Now regarding Answers to your Questions.

1. You cant delete all other kexts in SLE, I just spoke in the context of Video card, So you can delete all other Graphics kexts other than Intel HD 3000 (There are total 7 Intel HD 3000 Kexts). You can delete Inel GMA 950, Intel X3100, Intel HD, ATI Raedon kexts, Nvidia Geforce, Nvidia Fermi kexts.

2. There are brightness issues, even the FN brightness keys doesnt work as they are linked to Nvidia Card. If we can get our Nvidia card to work on Mac OS X, then only we can solve all those issues.

3. Currently sleep is not working there are problems with A.16 bios, it used to work on A.12 bios. So lets wait for another dell bios update.

4. card reader is definitely working but with few conditions, just check previous posts from C_Cube, he has found a way to get it working.

5. I dont know much about this question.

6. Well i dont have any problems with sound, if u have less sound just download an app called BOOM, it solves all sound problems.

8. I dont know much about geekbench score on XPS 17 4GB ram, just check the web and compare.

10. Go to disk utility and right click on lion partition and click on reveal in finder and then a new window opens with all hard disk or SSD partitions, Now just drag & drop ur Lion partition on to the device listing. Then u can see lion partition under device list in finder.

Just wanted to add that this is a great guide, and I'm very grateful for all the hard work that went into building the DSDT and kexts. I would like to add a few problems I had for future reference:

Boot:

• Booting from USB wasn't working with the A14 or A16 bios, so as a work arround I used a second HDD on which I created a HFS partition and restored the iatkos L2 DVD on it(a DVD might work as well)
  • I was also getting KPs from the RTC kext so I removed it

BIOS and Sleep:

• After I first read this guide, I was afraid that somehow I ended up with the 3D screen, because the PC wouldn't wake up from sleep, but it turned out that wake-up only works with the A12, so i downgraded to the A12 BIOS and sleep and wake work like a charm.
  • The GF 555m isn't working in WIndows right now (on the A12 bios), but I'm not sure if it's a driver issue or if it's a bios problem

Anyhow cheers and thank you for the awesome guide.