macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have L702x with 2630qm, 555m, 3D, A16 bios.

Installed iAtkos L2 with guide from first page (with modifying dmg - DSDT.aml (from A.16 DSDT.rar archive), SSDT.aml in the root of the DVD and replaced org.chameleon.boot.plist & smbios.plist.

Some problems with next step - can't boot into win7, only Lion. But I've done everything from next steps from OS X, so I guess it's ok? ;)

Have problem with graphics, can't go to 1920x1080 resolution, but when Graphicenabler in org.chameleon.boot.plist is set as "Yes" - resolution go ok, but I've got very low fps when for example switching safari to full screen.

I'm getting only 8247 points in geekbench. What i need to do?

@owczar.zdw

My guide works on non 3d screen where intel hd 3000 is active. check the thread posted by starbuck steve in tonymacosx86 forum.

@ c_cube

Try these Jmicron card reader kexts and let me know whether they work or not. Install them using kextutility.app

XPS 17 Card Reader Kexts.rar

• Like 1

@mahesh

:thumbsup_anim:

WOOHOO!!! Thanks!! kexts working perfectly. Tried opening jpeg files, mp3 files, and safely remove of SD card are all working properly.

Before i tried AnyCardReader, AppleStorageDrivers, AppleUSBCardReader.Kext but all of these didn't work.

i must say that now my hack is almost 100% working aside from intel wifi and optimus 550M, only sleep and wake don't work but it is a minor issue for me.

Also, im wondering from above post of @ngochan, according to him his sleep function is working properly using wen1's SSDT - which also currently im using.

Reinstalled iAtkos with gf100 drivers - gt555m works great :D Updated to 10.7.3 - working :)

Here is my score in geekbench - http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/566084

It should be better? How do I know if speedstepper works? I wonder it looks like CPU is on 2.0ghz and should be 2.8

Also my webcam doesn't work... I'm using DSDT from A.16 dsdt archive, what I need to do to fix it?

@ Owczar.zdw

I dont think speed stepping is working, u should get around 9600 on geekbench with 2630 qm and 10,100 with 2670 qm. Delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from System/Library/Extensions and then clear the caches

i mean delete kernelcache present in System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and then finally install this kext ( Only for 10.7.3) with kextutility.app restart and test with geekbench.

Regarding ur webcam install latest chameleon v2.1 bootloader

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

This kext helps little ;) Now I've got 8899 points. But still to low...

I have installed chameleon from this link http://www.osx86.net...on_support.html

The latest:

Chameleon-2.1svn-r1827.pkg

And still no webcam :(

Oh and forgot:

Sleep isn't working - It's go to sleep when I manually choose "Sleep", but when I close laptop it still working. Also Waking Up doesn't work - I've getting black screen and roaring fans ;)

@ Owczar.zdw

I guess you seem to be using my DSDT but i have a non 3d screen laptop, i would recommend you to

check the thread posted by starbuck steve in tonymacosx86 forum and use his DSDT it might solve all problems.

By the way sleep & wake doesnt seem to work on 3d screen xps 17.

Hi!

First off nice guide.

Secondly, which version of iATKOS are you using? I downloaded iATKOS v7 DVD 10.5.7 for Intel/AMD which is a .ISO but it doesn't have the same folders as you mention in your guide. I downloaded the most recent one which is iATKOS L2M (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2) and that is a DMG. I think you're using but I can't overwrite the files with Transmac. I think this is because I'm using Windows 7?

Many thanks,

Lee

@ Jon Lachonis

In previous pages i posted how to extract and create a DSDT from Windows 7, just follow the instructions and generate your own DSDT.

@ Lee Gibson

Well i clearly stated that you are suppose to download iATKOS L2 where as iATKOS L2M ( is meant for original mac, not for PC's).

Secondly its my fault to add Transmac method, as it only works with iso's not with dmg files, so please follow the guide to create iATKOS L2 USB.

last time i said that the card reader kext was working properly.

but i encountered an error...

you need to plug the SD card before you start your laptop and boot to mac os x.

tried plugging in the SD card after the boot and it is undetectable (or maybe i just don't know how to make it work after the boot hehehe)

but for me this is still a minor issue

@ Lee Gibson

Well i clearly stated that you are suppose to download iATKOS L2 where as iATKOS L2M ( is meant for original mac, not for PC's).

Secondly its my fault to add Transmac method, as it only works with iso's not with dmg files, so please follow the guide to create iATKOS L2 USB.

Okay. Thanks for your help.

Mahesh,

I've been following your thread since I found it in January, and to date it's the only guide I've been able to get most things working successfully and stably. I'm thinking more than anything the DSDT.aml is very clean and is helping things to work well.

I gave up trying to force my Dell XPS to do what I want, which it wasn't designed to do. Dell wasn't working with me at all so I bought another laptop, an Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, and moved the hard drive I had functioning over into the Asus. The funny part is that it booted up successfully off the hard drive for the first time since I built it! In the Dell I had to leave a Windows Setup disk in the optical drive or I'd get "no operating system found" (I built a GPT disk with 2 partitions - MACBOOT and WIN7BOOT, installed Chameleon to the EFI partition). Sleep works in my Asus, flawlessly! I have 1920x1080x32 on a GeForce GTX 560M (3072MB), beautiful. I have no sound, no battery and no wifi, since it's all incorrectly identified in this build.

I have tried for the past month to re-create that success, with no success whatsoever. I have since learned how to extract a proper DSDT, have patched it with the patches available over at olarila.com, have edited my smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist so I have full graphics, sound, battery meter, wifi; the only thing missing would be to be sleep mode and bluetooth. I think the bluetooth is tied to the USB 3.0, which seems flaky even in Windows (don't know if it's a bios thing, or what - I did see BT listed once, at the same time "USB Super High-Speed Bus" was listed, then it crashed). I'm more concerned with being able to get sleep working.

I understand this thread is all about the Dell XPS L702X 17 (non-3D), but I was hoping I could implore you for help with this. I have a fairly clean extracted dsdt.dsl, the DSDT.aml I've been using with the olarila.com patch installed for my laptop, whatever else you might need (outside of my shipping my laptop to you ;) ). I have no experience or training in C programming at all, and have been neglecting my school work to try to figure this out. Ordinarilly I try to buy a book, get more education or whatever, but I just don't have the time (or feeble brainpower!) to spare and need to get this stable before I add another class to my schedule next week. Would you be willing to have a look for me? I suspect, based on all the forums I've been perusing in trying to research this, that if you're able you will be helping quite a few people out there with this model of laptop. This thing is a power beast! I just don't have any more time to spare than I have.

Right now I've used ######## boot disc to install 10.7.3 using (once again, ######) ##### created Installer partition. Installed beautifully, but this model is notorious for KP'ing on the AICPM kext, so I then booted back into the MACBOOT created using your guide (the only stable thing I have outside of Windows!), ran ###### to get the basic important kext installed, created an Extra folder on the newly installed drive and copied over my DSDT.aml, smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I ran Chameleon Wizard to install Chameleon to the EFI partition of this drive, and rebooted in. I had full graphics and was able to get it configured. I've installed audio, wifi, battery, all from various sources I've found work well for this machine. I just had to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext because otherwise it KP's.

Model Asus G74SX-DH73-3D

Intel Core i7-2670QM

Intel HM65 Express Chipset

12gb DDR3 RAM

Dedicated GeForce GTX 560M w/3gb RAM

dual hard drives

blueray disk burner

Audio chipset is ALC269

WiFi is Atheros AR9002WB-1NG combo WiFi/BT

(containing chipsets AR9285/AR3011)

Ethernet Realtek RTL8169

If I've forgotten something, please let me know. I hope either you, or someone else can offer some assistance.

Extrafiles.zip

dsdt-files.zip

@ Zpecter

The problem is Intel HD 3000 doesn't get activated on Snow Leo 10.6.7 or 10.6.8, if it gets activated all u get is a scrambled screen ( see the attachments). I dont know what the problem ? i asked for help in many forums but no one gave a working solution, this problem seems to be specific to optimus laptops.Infact i recommend u to wait for few months and go for mountain lion it will be much better than lion ( In my opinion Lion is the biggest failure for Apple, thats the reason why they are pressing hard on releasing a stable OS to compete with Windows 8 ) and might get close snow leopard in performance and speed.

@ Jszekely

Well there are no DSDT patches for sleep and wake, all u need is a perfect speed stepping patch ( check this thread http://www.insanelym...c=258611&st=420 ), if u could successfully apply this in first place, then only ur sleep works. Sleep never works on nullcpupowermanagement.kext, patch intelcpupowermanagement.kext with the speed stepper patch and boot into verbose mode, check for ur processor turbo ratio's, if u can see turbo ratio's, it means that u successfully applied speed stepper patch, then u can delete nullcpupowermanagemnt.kext.

By the way u seems to be using 10.7.3 and their are no proper speed stepper patches available for it. Though one patch is available from beta builds of 10.7.3 but its causing problems with sleep and some times black screen on wake, This is the reason why i havent updated my guide to 10.7.3.

XPS 17 recently had a bios update A.16 and with this update i am no longer able to wake it successfully, even on 10.7.2. So i just gave up this project and waiting for the time being and i might start working again when Mountain Lion releases. And also hoping for a new bios update from dell.

So i am really sorry mate i cannot help u as i am no longer interested in this topic. not only that i am a research student at an Uni doing my PHD and about to start my study period or semester in a week.

Best Regards,

Mahesh Kondraju

post-197843-0-46415900-1330774920_thumb.jpg

post-197843-0-89481900-1330774926_thumb.jpg

@Mahesh,

I fully understand the demands of education, I appreciate the information given here.

I have been following the SpeedStepper discussion (all 22 pages), and have even tried to use a couple of their so called good patched AICPM Kexts. All that did for me is cause instability and the comatose mode (sleep, black screen, lights are on but nobody's home mode). I understand NullCPUPM will negate sleep, but at least it's stable for use.

I do have 10.7.3 installed at the moment, for some reason when I repartitioned and reinstalled the other day I couldn't get past the "please connect a keyboard" error. Probably something minuscule and stupid I missed from fatigue!

At this point the build I created on the Dell XPS (using bios a16, by the way) with 10.7.2 is stable, perfect, sleep, wake, graphics and everything but sound, card reader and battery works well on my Asus. If I'm understanding what you're telling me, it's the AICPM kext that helps it to work this well. I have backed up that partition, so do you think if I replace your DSDT.aml with my own so I can get sound working, that won't change sleep and stability? It's the exact same processor on both machines, Intel core i7-2670QM. I also have been very careful to avoid letting that build update to 10.7.3.

@ Jszekely

its bit confusing what are you exactly looking for ? Sleep in Asus laptop ? Sound, card reader and battery in xps 17 ?

Well i have all 3 working on my xps 17, i dont know, why didnt they work on ur xps 17.

Regarding sound i think u used ur own dsdt without alc 665 patch, For sound we need patched DSDT along with Patched AppleHDA.kexts.

Well battery works but not native with the help voodoo battery kext.

Card reader working with recently developed card reader kexts and work is still going on, I uploaded few kexts which i think work 90 % if not 100% ( just ejecting is not working as of now and one of my friend is developing the kexts ).

One more thing i would definitely recommend you to go back to 10.7.2 as its more stable on xps 17, though 10.7.3 adds more stability and bug fixes.

Try my 2 DSDT's whats wrong in it, give it a try. But i recommend to use A.12 its much more optimized when compared to A.16.

Hi C_Cube,

Try these kexts, added few more dev-id's, test it and let me know.

Cheers,

Mahesh Kondraju

hi mahesh, here's an update on the card reader kext..

kext is still buggy, need to plug the SD card before the boot up but once detected from boot up, SD card can be detected even after removing it and plugging it again. btw ejecting is working properly on my end

I tried putting it after the boot up or start up but unfortunately it was not detected.

Thanks on your efforts.. Also can't wait for your guide on how to update to mountain lion the moment it is available

Sorry I'm unclear, just trying not to inundate you with too much information (so maybe I've been too abbreviated).

I have 2 builds on my laptop (which is now an Asus G74SX 3D model) - the first is the Lion 10.7.2 build I did on the Dell XPS 17, which works on the Asus and has perfect sleep mode, just no audio, wifi, or battery (since I've still been using the same DSDT you provided, which is configured for the Dell). The second build is the 10.7.3 build I've been experimenting with, straight Asus.

I've been afraid to try anything on the "Dell build" as I didn't know if I'd be messing up the working sleep function. After my earlier post, I tried replacing the boot files you provided in this post (DSDT, smbios and org.chameleon.Boot.plist) with ones I'd edited to work with the Asus hardware. Yes, I'm aware this is not a thread for the Asus, but I'm using mostely your guide here as it's the only one I've had such great success with so far; and Thank You, by the way, as without your work I'd have so much more frustration and failure than I already have had!

As I was saying, I simply replaced the DSDT.aml, smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist in your kit with the ones edited for this machine. You said sleep was primarily all about the AICPM kexts, not in those files. I am working on it right now and am working from the build from your guide, simply with those files for the Asus hardware. As soon as I booted using the Asus DSDT and such, immediately the battery meter started working without any additional help from me. I understand your time constraints, I am just trying to keep you updated as to what I'm working on, whether it's successful or if I'm back to the start (of your guide) again.

I haven't tested sleep mode since replacing the DSDT.aml and such, but so far I'm encouraged. I will let you know how things proceed from here.

Hi Thanks for the tutorial, now I have audio working and shut down. Only two things are that although my resolution is 1920x1080, Lion displays in 1280x1024 for some reason. Any idea why this is?

And the only way I can boot is through the CD because when I try to boot it says "Operating System not Found". I have installed the latest Chameleon onto my Mac Hard drive too.

TThanks

@ RDGnome, Jon Lachonis

Have u guys deleted nvidia kexts it might be causing problems in getting full hd screen resolution and also scrambled screens.

Just make sure u delete these kexts Geforce.kext, GeforceGA.plugin, GeforceVADriver.bundle just delete all kexts which start with Geforce....

Now delete all nvidia fermi kexts NVDAGF100HAL.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAesman.kext, NVSMU.kext

Delete these kexts, they are located in system/library/extensions and then clear the cache, i mean delete kernel cache from

System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

Now install AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext again with the help of kextutility.app and then restart. Before restarting make sure u have DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml, org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist in place and also install latest chameleon bootloader and then finally restart.

One more thing u need to boot from bootloader installed on hard disk not with the help of iatkos l2 dvd chameleon bootloader.

Thanks for the reply.

I deleted everything you suggested. Anything with NVDA or Geforce at the start has been removed. However I cannot delete GeForceGA.plugin as it is in use apparently. Even after doing all of that the resolution is still poor. Please, please have a solution because then i I'll have the perfect Hackintosh.

I cannot boot Lion from my hard drive. I can boot it from the installation DVD and thats it. Whenever I try to boot from hard drive it says: "Operating system not found". This leads me to believe that the boot loader did not install correctly. I have the latest Chameleon installed but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've even installed it multiple times, everything seems in order, even changed the boot priority - nothing.

I have Windows 7 on my first hard drive and Mac OSx on my second hard drive.

EDIT: I have deleted GeForceGA.plugin but still hasn't made a difference. And today when I opened the smbios (that probably isn't relevant), it opened with Chameleon wizard and gave me a panic error for the first time :(

fimg0458tt.jpg