Radeon HD 5450 PCI ?

epoxxy

5 posts in this topic

It seems like this has almost native support for Lion. GraphicEnable is set to "No" to make HDMI, mirroring etc work.

But how can I confirm that FB, GL, QE and CI is correct?

This is what I have confirmed so far:

- Videos in VLC work, although 720p and 1080p is slow/jumps frames a lot.

- When I drop widgets in dashboard, I got "ripples in the water"

- When I scroll on a webpage with the scrollbars, the graphics is slow/jumps frames a lot.

I know that my GFXcard can manage full 1080p, but right now it wont even manage 720p (framedrops)

Help? :P

Ripples in the dashboard are a sign of QE/CI being available. I also have the 5450 installed in my hackintosh and I think you're overestimating the capabilities of the card - it's really not very powerful at all, and just because it can output at 1080p doesn't mean you'll get the performance along with it. It's fine for general desktop computing, but it's just not good enough for anything else.

Another BIG sign for QE/CI is if the bar at the top of the screen is translucent or not. If it's opaque, you do not have QE/CI enabled.

Also, I hate to agree with cipherspace....the 5450 is not a very high-performance card. I had the 5670 (much better GPU) and it didn't perform very well for high-resolution or high-intensity applications.

I just installed Windows 7 with correct drivers for my 5450, and although the 5450 isn't a high-performance card, scrolling in webpages and watching 720p and 1080p works without any noticable framedrop.

(Tested the same screenresolution, the same player (VLC) and the same videos in both OSX and W7)

So that leaves me to that something is wrong in OSX.

BTW: my bar at the top is translucent.

Hardware/software acceleration of QE/CI/FB/GL?

• 2 weeks later...

I can report that when using the 5450 in:

• Windows XP - Everything works like a charm after latest catalyst drivers was installed.
  • Windows 7 32-bit - Vlc movielag in fullscreen when you rightclick or have the controlbar visible in the bottom. That issue was fixed by using Aero troubleshooter. Flawless like XP after that.
  • Windows 7 64-bit - Vlc movielag in fullscreen when you rightclick or have the controlbar visible in the bottom. That issue was fixed by using Aero troubleshooter. Flawless like XP after that.
  • Linux Mint - poor driver support. Graphic is distorted all over the OS.
  • And finally, OSX Lion 10.7.2 - It seems like QE and CI is activated by the translucent top bar and waterripples in dashboard, but it feels like its all software acceleration and no hardware acceleration.

Any suggestions?