able to install retail Lion in VMware workstation8 without hardware virtualization?

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am using WIndows 7 Professional 32 bit

CPU: Celeron Duo Core T3500, 64-bit capable, no VT support

so first of all, I used 'hardware virtualization bypasser' http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256745&hl=hardware+virtualization

then used 'Mac OS Guest Unlocker' http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750629 in VMware workstation 8

coz i previously downloaded 'iatkos L2', I just used this iso to boot. However, it comes out an error 'A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state'. Googled it and did not find anything useful. Feel quite frustrated

I just wondered if any step above is wrong? coz I heard that CPU with no VT support cannot install retail Lion dvd, can anyone give any advice on what to install for CPU with no VT support?

thanks in advance :)

try to use the unlock patch first.

yeah I used that patch first but it seems not work either.

forget to point out that the msg from that patch is "1 out of 7 patterns replaced at least once."

does it mean that this patch actually failed to bypass the req of hardware virtualization ?

• 1 month later...

With a little work, you can find out what CPU's you laptop supports. Just look up the model's specs and usually the manual will list the CPU's it can use. BIOS updates sometimes enables more to be used.

Then, cross reference that list with CPU's on Wikipedia to find out which ones suport VT-x. (in wikipedia, search for ((i.e.)) "list of core 2 duo microprocessors", replace the underlined words with you CPU family).

Then after you find on you want, search on the internet to get one online or write it down and go to the nearest computer shop.

One more thing, make sure the laptop actually CAN enable VT-x in the BIOS. If not, get a Vanilla capable CPU for OS X if your laptops Hardware is compatible.

Also if you are going to buy a new CPU or build a desktop you can future proof it by ensuring you have VT-x, VT-d and EPT enabled Intel processor and BIOS. If you want to run Mac OS X I would not recommend going the AMD route, although they do produce processors with equivalent features.