CPU Patching for older Intels?

PookyMacMan

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

I currently have Snow Leopard on my PCs and I love it. I also use a Mac with Lion and love Lion, too. However, my PCs both have Pentiums (one a Pentium D and the other a Pentium 4) and cannot run the vanilla kernel and thus are incapable of running Lion. :( I've noticed many promises of patching the kernel for AMDs, but since both of my processors are 64-bit capable, is there somebody who could help me patch a kernel for older Intel CPUs (such as the devs of the legacy kernel have done in the past)? I am willing to do anything, although I don't think I could really write a whole kernel from scratch as my Objective-C is really bad. :P

Thank you so much. :)

Valv's Chameleon branch lets you boot the vanilla kernel on P4 and Pentium Ds, any late model Presler or Prescott core with EM64T and SSE3 should work.

IIRC it doesn't work yet in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode...but it's still cool. I guess that could be a problem for Lion though?

I'm not running Lion yet so I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with 64-bit kernel and Lion..

Thank you! Would you be able to help me with downloading/installing Valv's Chameleon branch? I have never installed Chameleon via the source...I can't figure out what to download (I was looking at forge.voodooprojects.org)...

In Terminal do cd ~/downloads then mkdir Chameleon and cd Chameleon (or where ever you'd like to download to). Then follow the instructions somewhere at http://forge.voodoop...rg/p/chameleon/ where it says "how to get the code".

At the end of the command that fetches the code from svn add /nameofvalvsbranch. Otherwise it'll download everything!

Whenever you want to fetch the latest code navigate to your download directory and type svn update.

• 1 month later...

Big, big news!!!!! A Pentium D CAN run a Lion kernel!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Over IRC meklort was so kind and patched a vanilla kernel for me (he removed the CPUID check), and no restart! (the problem with AnV's legacy kernel) However, the problem now is I'm getting stuck at "Got Boot Device". But it's progress!! :D :D

I'm not using a distro; I'm using a retail installation of Lion.

Are you saying that in iAtkos (or whatever distro you're talking about), there are kernels capable of booting Pentium D's?