InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Braixen

Should I update to 10.5.8? (10.5.6 iPC OSX86)

I'm wondering if I should update to 10.5.8

Most programs like GIMP need 10.5.7, so I go to update, and notice 10.5.8 - should I do this?

I know that GIMP will work on 10.5.8, it's that I don't know whether I will screw something up. I want to update because of app compatibility - I tried installing SL before (iATKOS S3 v2) but it failed so I'm using 10.5 (imo I like Leopard and SL more than Lion.)

My main reasons are to do with Safari and GIMP - iTunes keeps nagging me to get Safari 4.0.3 and GIMP is one of my favourite free editors.

Advertisement

If you have a non-retail system, then you should be extra careful with updates. Back up and make sure the back up works. Then do update.

As for updates... Do it if you really need it and/or you are 100% sure nothing will go wrong. Probably you should check this forum for more info on possible issues. IMO there is no point in 10.5.7 update when there is the final (I really doubt that there will ever be any newer update) 10.5.8 version. X.5.8 adds more features then 10.5.7 does. Therefore .5.8 is much more worth the trouble then .5.7.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zafirofx
      Hi everyone. I installed MacOS High Sierra on my computer 3 months ago, in January. After a long way to get the computer fully working now I'm facing a new problem: imagine I'm working or doing something in my computer and it suddenly freezes and I have to restart it.  There's no reason why the computer restarts by itself...
      Here I also attach my Clover EFI folder in case you need it (it doesn't allow me to attach it so here i give you the link: https://mega.nz/#!92xCiLDZ!WY1F55ZvuP-9WW369EP9KY-3hNLt5sWUgJDxPrbgpPM .
      Thank you in advance.

• By nico3469
      Hey guys

Here is my little guide to install OSX 10.6.8 on the EeePC 1000H.

I'll quote some of the CicciMTS and scenemusic topics, thank you guys.

What is needed ?

A Asus EeePC 1000H
      A 8GB or more USB Pen drive
      An empty hard disk drive
      An other mac or hackintosh
      A USB mouse
      My package of tools, including the latest Apple OS X 10.6.8 Combo update

Restore and Boot from USB

On your mac/hack, go to Disk Utility, find your USB Pen drive, erase it with GUID Partion Table and Mac Extended Format (journaled). Then, restore your iAtkos image on your USB pen drive.

Next, you need to make your USB drive Bootable. Find Chameleon in the tools Folder, open it and install it on your new Snow Leopard USB pen drive.

Installation

Boot into BIOS, if available, set the SATA mode to AHCI. If you can't it should work too so don't worry
      Select your USB Pen Drive and boot on it. Chameleon will appear, select your iAtkos install drive, and type -v to boot in verbose mode. After a moment, the OSX installer should appear. Trackpad will not work so plug in a usb mouse. Select your language and click next. on the top of the screen, find disk utilty, and erase your HDD with GUID Partion Table and Mac Extended Format (journaled) options, and close Disk Utility. Click Next until the installer ask you on which drive you want to install OSX. Do not install it yet, click on Customize. Select the following options :

-BOOT
      ASEREBLN

-BOOT OPTIONS
      32BITS
      GRAPHICS ENABLERS
      ETHERNET BUILTIN
      USB (all)

-PATCHES
      CREAR EXTRA
      FAKESMC
      DISABLER
      RTC
      KERNEL ATOM
      EVOREBOOT
      SLEEPENABLER
      UUID

-DRIVERS SATA-IDE
      SATA/AHCI or INTEL SATA/IDE if you didn't enable AHCI in your bios

-SOUND
      VOODOHDA

-PS2
      VOODOOPS2 or APPLEPS2

-POWERMANAGER
      VOODOPOWER

-LAPTOP HARD
      BATTERY
      CARD READER
      THERMAL ACPI

-VGA
      INTEL
      EFI STRING
      GMA950 (all)

-WIFI
      Ralink RT2860

-WIRED
      ATLANSIC L1E

Click OK and install OSX on your HDD.

First Boot and update to 10.6.8

Remove your USB stick from your computer, Chameleon should appear, boot your new OSX installation with -v boot flag. Once you've created your account you should be on your desketop.
      Run the Combo Update installer but do not reboot!! Force Quit out of the installer (hold down the Option key and click and hold over the Installer icon in the Dock. Select Force Quit) and Run the Legacy Kernel installer and then reboot the machine.
      now you should see that your graphics driver doesn't work anymore. Run Kext Utility and let it repair the permissions and update the cache. when it says "all done" drag and drop all the graphics kext into kext utility, and when it says "all done", reboot your computer. Cross your fingers and reboot your computer. You should now have a fully working EeePC 1000H, with graphics, sound, wifi, USB, bluetooth and Ethernet Working with the lastest Snow Leopard update. You can have the latest security updates on your system with Software Update, it will not damage your installation.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french. Fell free to ask questions if you need, thank you guys