How to Unlock Iphone 3G

macusers

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guy.

I just bought a used Iphone 3G, I believe it has IOS 4.2 in it but not certain and I would like to get it jail-broken and unlock so i can use it with T-mobil service. if you could and will point out what is the best and easiest way and which software to do it. I really appreciate your time and kindness.

Hi Guy.

I just bought a used Iphone 3G, I believe it has IOS 4.2 in it but not certain and I would like to get it jail-broken and unlock so i can use it with T-mobil service. if you could and will point out what is the best and easiest way and which software to do it. I really appreciate your time and kindness.

you may not be able to unlock the device as it is not dependent on the ios that the device has installed, it depends on the "baseband" (aka "modem firmware") to find out which modem firmware you have, go to setting> general>about and look under "modem firmware" and see which firmware you are on then check it against this web page http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ to see if you're ok to unlock.

if your modem firmware is to high, then you can not unlock it in its stock state. what you can do however is to install an "ipad baseband" this will allow you to unlock your device without any issue but you will lose your phones GPS connectivity forever so you will never get it back, but you can get it on T-mobile... its your choice.

i hope this gave you a few answers

you may not be able to unlock the device as it is not dependent on the ios that the device has installed, it depends on the "baseband" (aka "modem firmware") to find out which modem firmware you have, go to setting> general>about and look under "modem firmware" and see which firmware you are on then check it against this web page http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ to see if you're ok to unlock.

if your modem firmware is to high, then you can not unlock it in its stock state. what you can do however is to install an "ipad baseband" this will allow you to unlock your device without any issue but you will lose your phones GPS connectivity forever so you will never get it back, but you can get it on T-mobile... its your choice.

i hope this gave you a few answers

Hi Matty0

Like what you state in your reply, my base band is 05.15.04 so I could not unlock it in its stock state therefor I had to install iPad Baseband in order to get it unlock. so that means I lose the phone GPS capability, but how important is that,what does it do ?. Anyway I mange to get it jailbreak and unlock with redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 for mac that run on my Hacintosh. Thanks again.