Can installing osx86 destroy hardware?

keiko

24 posts in this topic

Hi there.

I just bought a new computer, and I'm very eager to install Mac OS X. But I am a really "careful" when it comes to computers. So, is there any way installing Os X can ruin my new hardware?

Thanks, guys!

Hi there.

I just bought a new computer, and I'm very eager to install Mac OS X. But I am a really "careful" when it comes to computers. So, is there any way installing Os X can ruin my new hardware?

Thanks, guys!

You can ruin your Linux/Windows installation but not your hardware.

Its good to install OSX. You can easily see which of your hardware is no good.

Back in January 2006 when I first tried OSX86. it was 10.4.3 I was using it for 2 weeks when my crappy brand 500w psu was being deffective, I didn't figure out the problem till Late April got myself a good Antec True Power II 420w pSu and been using osx86 since May. 24/7

Its good to install OSX. You can easily see which of your hardware is no good.

Back in January 2006 when I first tried OSX86. it was 10.4.3 I was using it for 2 weeks when my crappy brand 500w psu was being deffective, I didn't figure out the problem till Late April got myself a good Antec True Power II 420w pSu and been using osx86 since May. 24/7

OS X busted your PSU?

Be serious... how could software destroy a piece of hardware?

Er... unless of course the software is the 'yes' command and the hardware is the insulation around a MacBook's temperature sensor wire....

ahem.

Be serious... how could software destroy a piece of hardware?

Firmware upgrade gone bad. Or even worse, bios upgrade. But nowadays atleast the bios has redundancy. But I've been there, back in the days, persuading the store to go for warrany replacement.

heh, actually munky I had a particular video card back in the day that a Linux driver messed up. I thought it was a fluke until I asked around and found others who had experienced the same issue.

It's very VERY rare, but it can happen. I'd say your chances of messing up your hardware with OS X though is very very slim.

I was kidding really, just wanted to make the point about how i melted my macbook's temp sensor wire.

I have never destroyed any PC hardware by installing osx86, and yet when i buy a real apple machine, IT DESTROYS ITSELF!

Dickens, the irony.

Hi under some circumstances it is possible for software to break hardware, especially in the realm of drivers - these days some drivers are initialized through firmware download from the OS - e.g. soft modem drivers. But for a genuine operating system, the risk is very low. Post your hardware configuration for further advise. In any case, it is wise to make a backup of your present system, especially the hard drive. Or better yet, if you have a spare hard drive lying around use that for experimentation.

Best,

Now you people got me all nervous : (

Here's my hardware:

Motherboard: Asus P5LD2-VM SE

CPU: Intel Pentium D 805

Graphics: integrated GMA 950

RAM: DDR2 1gig OCZ

Hi your hardware looks very good. It is Intel based and recent. According to the wiki page for 10.4.7 support,

Asus P5LD2-VM DH (very similar spec) is supported except for sound input. Graphics should be fine, but check the forum for OpenGL/QE Support. Your MB is based on the ICH7 chipset, so you should be able to get SATA support. Overall I d say you could try it. I don't think you ll fry anything. (I am assuming that you have not overclocked anything - eg CPU or GPU)

The CPU is dual core and I am not sure that OSx86 will be able to run both cores. Again check the forum for this. Some people have had to add a boot parameter so that the system only runs on a single core.

Your hardware should run with minimal tweaking. Your spec is extremely close to that of intel imacs.

I still recommend using a spare hard drive for OSx86 though - at least until you get your system setup. But if you do favor a dual or triple boot setup on the same disk, there are guides on the forum for that as well. It appears that for many, using winxp on first partition works well.

You might need to make a few adjustments but overall it looks like you ll do fine.

Anymore qs give us a shout.

Best

After installation neither Mac nor XP would boot, atleast no hardware got fried : ).

Thanks, again.

Which DVD did you use? And, what was your partitioning scheme? There is a post for dual boot win/osx on the wiki I believe. If you are just looking to boot the OSX Volume, did you 'bless' the OSX volume?

After the installation concludes, issue from the terminal

bless --mount <path to volume> --setBoot

[\code]

the <path to volume> should be /Volumes/<name of your osx volume>

Hope it helps

• 5 months later...

My hackintosh is running smoothly besides wireless internet. I worry about overheating as the fan turns on way more than on XP and seems to run hotter than XP. That is my only concern.

Hi there.

Thanks, guys!

Hi there.

Thanks, guys!

Running OSx86 on PC hardware will create a tear in the universe and the space particles flying out of it will tear up your c3lls, and thus you and everyone you have ever known will cease to exist. But rest assured, your PC will be fine.

:)

• 2 months later...

hi!

first tries installing osx86 was destroying my PSU. as i tried to install on an sata drive it made my bios freezing while detecting it...

i solved the hdd problem with plugging it to an sata => usb adapter and reformatting it. used an ide drive then..

but the PSU was definately defect. ordered a new one from seasonic with {censored}in 600 WATTS jejeje

now everything is running perfect except of my bfg gf8800gts of course.

my old PSU was a BEQuiet! 420 W

i guess it was time to die for it coz it was very loud last weeks of its life. first installs failed coz i used wrong versions and i think i was pressing and repressing the power button too quick and to often...coz my tower doesnt have a reset button...

so just take care a bit and nothing will be damaged.

flushing bios from display cards or mainboards is ver risky - prevent that.

sicerely

spugga

once my hard drive stop recognizing in windows when the program that formats the hard drive crashed. i was formating it during the installation and using the disk utility tool from a dvd that i don't remember which. but after plugging it to another machine and formating it with partition magic in dos, it worked again...

once i killed a sata controller by using the wrong file to upgrade the bios, it prompt to select a bin file that was the bios and by mistake i selected a picture and uploaded it to the card :D ... but managed to exchange it in the shop...