Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
PookyMacMan

Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

How does this guide work for you?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is it clear to understand?

• Yes, it was very clear.
    • No, there is jargon I don't understand...
  2. 2. Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

• Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box!
    • Almost, I had to fix some things first...
    • No, nothing worked at all.
  3. 3. Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

• Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted.
    • No, I had some errors along the way
    • Who wants Windows?

788 posts in this topic

Hello there. I'm new to hacintosh. I have an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd and a Snow leopard 10.6.6i by Hazard. I installed 3 times so far and seemed nothing to work on the the first boot after the installation.

During installation I choose Mac os extended journaled as in your instructions.

I got a panic "version mis-match between kernel and CPU". I tried to boot with pmVersion=0 and I didn't get the panic. The grey screen with the grey apple logo came up and the spinning circle below it. At first,I thought it worked, but a few minutes later the spinning circle froze and I started hearing the welcome intro song without seeing anything. Some minutes later told me to restart my computer pressing the power button.

Is there there any fix for my problem?

I wish I could try your way but my DVD recorder is not working. But reading is ok.

I have a Sony vaio vgn-ar71s.

CPU: intel core 2 duo T9300, enhanced speedstep technology, 2.5GHz

Memory: 4GB

HDD: 500GB (raid 0 2x250gb)

Not on raid 0 anymore since I use the first one to install mac os and in the second one windows 7 is already Installed.

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT GPU.

Thanks in advance.

Manolis, I wouldn't use a distro DVD with a retail installer. Distros are perfectly bootable in and of themselves. If you have an 8 GB or larger external drive, you could use the ModUSB to create a USB installer with a retail DVD cloned onto it via Linux. I'd be happy to show you how.

PaddyBhoy, I'll take a look at it. :)

I have a wd my passport 500GB but i have other files in there. I never tried to use USB installer so i don't know if these files are a problem.

I don't have linux but if you think this is gonna work there's no problem installing ubuntu in a partition.

So what do i need?

Thank you.

Go ahead and install Ubuntu. I'll post instructions when I have more time. ;)

Also, make sure you have a retail Snow Leopard disc (bought or downloaded) and not a distro.

Ubuntu is already installed on the disk i'm gonna later install mac os. We just need ubuntu to make the boot drive, right?

I'm gonna save all my files from the wd on the windows disk. Hope we won't mess up with this disk.

I also found a retail DVD of Snow leopard 10.6.8.

Waiting for your instructions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

helpfull tut ,,

i have a problem when everything goes well till when wanna choice disk then gives this

You cannot install to this volume. If you want to install to a disk with an MBR DOS-style partation table, you must install to a primary partation - not a logical partation.

i used

OSInstall + OSInstall.mpkg 10.6.3 patched for MBR so i can use MBR formatted hard disks to allowing multiple booting with other Windows OS .

any help ??

ham4ever, two things.

1. If you have a DVD and not a USB drive for installation, the ModCD will automatically patch the disc for MBR. You don't need the OSInstall framework/pkg.

2. Unless you have 32-bit XP, you can use GPT, too. Win7, WinVista, and 64-bit WinXP can boot from GPT.

Manollis, try this guide. If it gets too complicated, I'll simplify it. :)

Yes there is, but you need to make it in Linux (pretty complex). Are you comfortable with that?

If you happen to have access to a Mac, there is a pkg to make a USB drive.

All right, great!

Connect your USB drive to your computer and load the installation DVD (or iso or dmg) in your machine. Open Disk utility, select your USB drive, and click the tab Restore. Drag the USB drive volume into "Destination" and the Mac OS X Install DVD volume (from your DVD or image) into "Source". Make sure that the Erase Disk option is checked and click Restore.

Once that's done, download the ModUSB package. Run it, select your USB drive, and voila! Bootable USB installer. :)

Let me repeat myself:

1. The ModUSB will automatically patch the OSInstall.mpkg for installation on MBR. You do not need any other tools.

2. You do not need MBR for Windows unless you have 32-bit Windows XP. Windows 7, Windows Vista, and 64-bit Windows XP can boot from GUID Partition Table, too.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I'm merely emphasizing my points. :)

64-bit Windows XP can't boot from GPT either. Here's an overview:

http://en.wikipedia....32-bit_versions

Further to this fact:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525

Windows Disk Support

Q. Can Windows XP x64 read, write, and boot from GPT disks? A. Windows XP x64 Edition can use GPT disks for data only.

Q. Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GPT disks? A. No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

Q. Can the 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 read, write, and boot from GPT disks? A. Starting with Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, all versions of Windows Server can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on Itanium-based systems.

Q. Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks? A. Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

Q. Can Windows 2000, Windows NT 4, or Windows 95/98 read, write, and boot from GPT? A. No. Again, legacy software will see only the Protective MBR.

Let me repeat myself:

1. The ModUSB will automatically patch the OSInstall.mpkg for installation on MBR. You do not need any other tools.

2. You do not need MBR for Windows unless you have 32-bit Windows XP. Windows 7, Windows Vista, and 64-bit Windows XP can boot from GUID Partition Table, too.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I'm merely emphasizing my points. :)

lol is cool man ,thanks for helping and explanation

now i understand how stuff works. :D

Put the patched OSInstall.mpkg on a USB stick.

Once past language selection, launch Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and format and name (I'll call it TestDrive) your partition, close Disk Utility.

Open terminal (it may be a good idea to open a new tab so you have one spare), and copy the installation files to your new partition with:

cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages /Volumes/TestDrive

then copy the patched osinstall.mpkg to the Packages folder with:

cp -R /Volumes/SomeWhere/OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/TestDrive/Packages

then start a new installer with:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer

And browse to /Volumes/TestDrive/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OK. I followed every step in the guide but ubuntu is kidding me.

post-946591-0-83019000-1326403863_thumb.png

Everything was ok since the mkfs.hfsplus thing. It is in sbin but it can't find it.

What's going on?

Gparted didn't let me fortmat the drive as hsf+ for the same reason.

Cdisk seems to work but when i see the drive in Gparted it is shown as unknown.

post-946591-0-91760300-1326403865_thumb.png

post-946591-0-74101400-1326403868_thumb.png

Gringo and verdant, thanks for clarifying. I was getting 64-bit WinXP and Windows 2003's booting capabilities mixed up (I thought 64-bit WinXP could boot Itanium systems.) However, I do know for sure one thing is inaccurate: I use 32-bit Windows 7 on GPT just fine.

ham4ever, partition the drive in OS X. Go to Disk Utility, select your hard drive (not the hard drive partition(s)), click the partition tab, choose 2 partitions (or however many OSes you want), have one be Mac OS Extended and one MS-DOS (FAT). Next, click Options and make sure Master Boot Record is selected. Click Partition, and that will (hopefully) eliminate your error.

PaddyBhoy, I haven't figured it out. I'm actually a DSDT noob, so I would post the issue in the DSDT forum.

Manolis, just download the GParted Live CD to create the HFS+. After you do that you can boot back into Ubuntu to finish up.

@ PookyMacMan

That is interesting.........if, at PC switch on, you are directly booting Windows 7 32bit on a GPT partitioned NTFS formatted HDD on a BIOS MOBO, then Microsoft should be informed.........

That's exactly what I'm doing. The only trick is that a partition must be present at installation; it will not install on free space on GPT.