• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
PookyMacMan

Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

How does this guide work for you?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is it clear to understand?

• Yes, it was very clear.
    • No, there is jargon I don't understand...
  2. 2. Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

• Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box!
    • Almost, I had to fix some things first...
    • No, nothing worked at all.
  3. 3. Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

• Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted.
    • No, I had some errors along the way
    • Who wants Windows?

788 posts in this topic

Hello :)

I have tried just now again and still no luck. I get to where it says Press any key to continue, so I do, and it goes into the kernel to boot the installation, but then I get the nanoseconds message and that's pretty much it, nothing else from there. (please see attached picture for exact message)

I have a stock Dell Latitude E6420 with 16GB RAM, 300 GB Hard Drive with 3 partitions, Windows 7, System Reserved, and a Blank one that I made in order to dual boot. As for processor, according to the sticker on the computer, I have an Intel i7 vPro.

I also tried it on an HP DV7 with an Intel i7, Radeo video card, 4GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive which has Windows 7, System Reserved, and also a Blank one that I made in order to dual boot. But when I try it on the HP, it says Press any key to continue, so I do, and the computer restarts instead of going into the kernel mode to do the installation.

post-941991-0-64305700-1325042390_thumb.jpg

Interesting....wait, you have 10.6.0, don't you?

i7's cannot boot Apple's kernel until 10.6.6 (I believe), so you will need to boot with the legacy_kernel (which means just press enter - do not type mach_kernel). Try that and see where you get.

I'll update my post with the info.

Yep already tried that as well, I am not sure which version it is exactly, honestly, i downloaded it, but its supposedly Retail DVD of Snow Leopard. I tired with mech_kernel and just enter and same thing, nanoseconds, maybe different amount of nanoseconds, but still nanoseconds message lol.

Hey, I was able to finally get to the installation of it all, and then once it completed installing, it starts to boot up Mac OS X but then i get another nanoseconds error but on the Mac OS X screen with the apple in the center.

post-941991-0-10755800-1325079987_thumb.jpg

Your error is with your computer's clock, I believe. That can be as simple as an additional kext. In the installer, did you choose the ElliotForceLegacyRTC option?

Hello all. Have been reading the different install instructions the last few days, and i am rather stumped now. I am installing on a Dell D610 with the Intel Pentium M 1.73 (2.13 with Centrino unlocked) Ghz Processor, Intel 915 GM Graphics, and Sigmatel 9751. When i use the above method, the text scrolls, and then stops, but never starts scrolling again. I have attached pics of where the scrolling ends. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

TJ

I am using the Image OSX_10.6.7 btw.

post-942003-0-26063000-1325200533_thumb.jpg

post-942003-0-94728900-1325200557_thumb.jpg

Your issue is that you have a 10.6.8 disc. In order to use 10.6.8, you need a different kernel. I have a link which I will post in a little (for some reason I can't access MediaFire right now). When I post it, I will give you instructions on how to use it.

I would like to install snow leopard and then update to 10.7 lion. I have a i5 2400, 8gb ram(2x4gb) , cosair tx750 , saphire radeon 6950 dirt 3 2gb , ga-z68p-ds3 motherboard.

Is it possible to install with this hardware and use the graphics card? Thank you!

Your error is with your computer's clock, I believe. That can be as simple as an additional kext. In the installer, did you choose the ElliotForceLegacyRTC option?

No i did not select that, did I need to?

We may need to do a DSDT patch for your system. Do you have a Linux Live CD?

Post this problem in the Snow Leopard forum, too. Someone may be able to help you there, too.

Derrick Berg, your hardware looks good. You may have issues with your graphics card, though.

I would purchase a nVidia card, if possible.

Tj, here's the kernel. Sorry I had my MacBook in the shop: http://www.mediafire.com/?o7jj597eyv57149

I'll post instructions by tomorrow. For now put the kernel on a USB drive.

For your onboard card, if it's Intel HD Graphics 3000 it will work perfectly, as Apple uses these ones in their 13" MacBook Pros.

elite-fusion, if you want to check your card look it up in Device Manager. Under Display Adapters see what it says. What we have to do now is extract your DSDT from Linux, which I will look up and inform you with instructions.

Tj, here's how you use the kernel:

Drag it onto the root of an external USB drive (flash drive, hard drive etc.) and boot into the ModCD as normal with the USB drive plugged in. When the ModCD loads, swap it with your DVD. Now you will type the code to access your kernel something like this:

hd(1,0)/legacy_kernel-10.6.8

Here's how to determine what to type. When Chameleon loads, it numbers the hard drives (which includes USB drives but does not include CD drives) from 0 to however many drives are in your system, starting with any ATA drives, then SATA drives, then USB drives. So, if you have one SATA drive in your system, the SATA drive would be drive 0, and your USB drive would be drive one. If you have two hard drives in your system, those two would be drives 0 and 1 and your USB drive would be drive 2.

Next, you will need to know the partition number of your drive. It is numbered the same way, starting with 0. If you have one partition and it's Master Boot Record, it will be partition 0. So, now here's where these numbers come in.

First, you will type the following:

hd(

Next, you will insert the drive number of your USB drive followed by a comma. For this example, there is only one hard drive.

hd(1,

Next, you will insert the partition number of the drive, most likely 0, followed by the end parentheses.

hd(1,0)

After that, if you put the kernel at the root of the drive and not in a folder, you will end up with:

hd(1,0)/legacy_kernel-10.6.8

If you put it in a folder (or a number of folders), you would just add them to the beginning.

hd(1,0)/your/folders/legacy_kernel-10.6.8

Let me know if this all makes sense. :)

I can install on my compaq presario v3026tu (Core Duo T2050 1.6 Ghz, Intel 945GM Express chipset, GMA950, ram 1x2GB) but with a panic "allocMem" when boot (image attached)

i can get through this when using safe boot with nonfunction mouse, sound and poor graphic (maybe more) cant' do anything in this page

Any Step-by-step solution you can help? because it's my first time using macosx

Thank you in advance :thumbsup_anim:

post-796912-0-17156000-1325498827_thumb.jpg

yugioff, are you booting with the mach_kernel?

Most likely, if your computer is like my MacBook, the GMA 950's VRAM is shared with the system RAM, so OS X may be having trouble with RAM allocation. Boot with the legacy kernel (just press enter) and see what happens.

elite-fusion, I found a DSDT extracting guide for Linux, but I wanted to test it myself to put it into plain English. However, if you would like to try it, here's the link: http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

You can skip the last step; we don't need it in .tar.gz format.

yugioff, are you booting with the mach_kernel?

Most likely, if your computer is like my MacBook, the GMA 950's VRAM is shared with the system RAM, so OS X may be having trouble with RAM allocation. Boot with the legacy kernel (just press enter) and see what happens.

i never type "mach_kernel" only "-v -x -f" into safe boot and "just press enter" once to encounter panic

You shouldn't need to type those boot flags. When you boot, just hit enter and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, you can do a safe boot; type:

-x USBBusFix=Yes

-x boots the system in safe mode, and the USBBusFix should fix your mouse issues. You don't need to worry about -v, as nawcom already inserted that in the ModCD's com.apple.boot.plist.

You shouldn't need to type those boot flags. When you boot, just hit enter and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, you can do a safe boot; type:

-x USBBusFix=Yes

-x boots the system in safe mode, and the USBBusFix should fix your mouse issues. You don't need to worry about -v, as nawcom already inserted that in the ModCD's com.apple.boot.plist.

"when only enter" - i get the same panic

"-x USBBusFix=Yes" - i get safe boot with my mouse(trackpad) not working so i cant do anything even shutdown or restart

Do you have a USB mouse? That might be your best bet. Most likely the safe boot disables the PS/2 controller.

Try typing mach_kernel and see what happens.