PookyMacMan

Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

How does this guide work for you?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is it clear to understand?

• Yes, it was very clear.
    • No, there is jargon I don't understand...
  2. 2. Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

• Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box!
    • Almost, I had to fix some things first...
    • No, nothing worked at all.
  3. 3. Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

• Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted.
    • No, I had some errors along the way
    • Who wants Windows?

789 posts in this topic

Well, what issues do you have now? Don't you have full 1600x900 (or whatever your native res is)?

no 1024x768 you told me to post some links to sites and that's what i did

Advertisement

Hi, i am new to the forum and also new for hackintosh. i have a Neo laptop (its a Philippine brand laptop) with intel i5 procie and clevo mobo. is it possible to install snwo leopard in my laptop?

Also, Is it possible to install mac osx with the existing windows? or is it neccessary to delete the partition including the windows, if you will install mac osx with dual booth with windows? Thanks!

techgeek, Post all your PCI IDs. Particularly I want the data controller.

jmi, go ahead and reinstall. That's weird...

Ok I'm back running 10.6.3.

What steps do you recommend I take?

Hi, i am new to the forum and also new for hackintosh. i have a Neo laptop (its a Philippine brand laptop) with intel i5 procie and clevo mobo. is it possible to install snwo leopard in my laptop?

Also, Is it possible to install mac osx with the existing windows? or is it neccessary to delete the partition including the windows, if you will install mac osx with dual booth with windows? Thanks!

Have you looked at page one of this topic?

This isn't working for me. I'm able to get to the ModCD menu, but after I put my Snow Leopard DVD in I get the message in my picture.

Here's my specs:

Motherboard: Acer F690GVM

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD. R02-A3S1

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9500

Memory: 3GB DDR2

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

post-1004161-0-60278300-1337050951_thumb.jpg

I got a Celeron D computer. I have a 300GB Hitachi hard disk entirely reserved for Windows and I also got a seperate 120GB Maxtor hard disk. This Maxtor hard disk used to be in the form of "OneTouch USB" until its built-in USB/SATA interface port broke off. I managed to get this HDD running again after I bought some simple SATA cables for power/data to where I can plug this into my computer now. Since then, this Maxtor disk is half the size of an original but still it runs flawlessly! So in short, I have two different hard drives working. Is it really safe to unplug my Hitachi disk and use my Maxtor one to take care of installing Snow Leopard?

To take this a step further, I have bought a BFG Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS card to override my motherboard's built-in Radeon X200. The "BFG" thing to me is a third-party vendor that does work for nVidia, does Mac OS take that into consideration or just ignore the "vendor" like BFG and go after the "name brand" like nVidia? If I can't get OSX to run just because of an incompatible video card from "BFG", I'm gunna be mad.

jmi, update one version at a time i.e. 10.6.4, 10.6.5 etc. Before updating to 10.6.5, 10.6.6, and 10.6.8 you'll need to update the kernel from nawcom's blog.

Pill, are you sure you are using Snow Leopard? Usually that comes from using a non-Snow Leo or incomplete Snow Leo installer. Try booting with the modbin kernel (displayed on the ModCD screen; should be something like rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel).

Steve, yes it is safe to swap your HDDs. :) Just be sure to turn the machine off before swapping unless your machine supports SATA hot swapping. As for your GeForce, all the 3rd-party vendors do is customize a card with different ports, heatsink, over clocking etc; the actual product (graphics chip) is the same. Mac OS drivers function by checking the PCI ID of your devices, and all nVidia cards (no matter the distributor) have the vendor ID 10de. Therefore, it is still considered a nVidia device; the distributor is not a consideration. :)

Actually there are very few cards available that came straight from nVidia...just about every card is from a different distributor, such as BFG.

Pill, are you sure you are using Snow Leopard? Usually that comes from using a non-Snow Leo or incomplete Snow Leo installer. Try booting with the modbin kernel (displayed on the ModCD screen; should be something like rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel).

Pooky, I tried booting with the modbin kernel without any success. I've attached a picture.

I should say that previously I had tried using a Snow Leopard image that I found online. That wasn't working so now I'm using my friend's burnt copy, which was burnt through Disk Utility. Is it possible that the previous image is causing this, or is it more likely that the disc was burnt improperly? I haven't purchased the disc yet simply because I was expecting something like this lol.

Thanks.

post-1004161-0-34608000-1337122183_thumb.jpg

jmi, update one version at a time i.e. 10.6.4, 10.6.5 etc. Before updating to 10.6.5, 10.6.6, and 10.6.8 you'll need to update the kernel from nawcom's blog.

Which is better to start out with the 10.6.4 or the 10.6.4 combo update?

I can't remember which one I have tried in the past but I ended up with a kernel panic before the update finished and prompted for the restart of the computer.

Pill, try reburning the DVD at the lowest speed possible.

You're on 10.6.3, correct? The combo update is only if you are on a version lower than one number before the version you're updating to, so if you are on 10.6.3 you don' t need the combo update for 10.6.4. For further updates you will not need the Combo, either.

PookyMac......what do you need from me?? getting ready to go into the recording studio....had to use someone else laptop...it sucked....need mine all my music is on this one just need to get the screen to be right...

thanks

You had everything working at 1600x900, I thought! What did you do to mess it up?

You had everything working at 1600x900, I thought! What did you do to mess it up?

it had 1600x900....it showed that but the picture had lines and was faded out

Hm...I'm not too sure...I'll check around.

I created a bootable OS X Lion USB drive today. Can I use this Lion USB drive instead of the Snow Leopard install DVD? If yes, how do I go about doing this. Would I boot from the ModCD and then enter the USB drive? Thanks

I created a bootable OS X Lion USB drive today. Can I use this Lion USB drive instead of the Snow Leopard install DVD?

It's kind of complicated, but even though the ModCD's drivers and patches are supported in Lion the version of Chameleon it's using is not. An answer could be the same as the answer to the following:

If yes, how do I go about doing this. Would I boot from the ModCD and then enter the USB drive? Thanks

Assuming that the version of Chameleon supported Lion, you could do that but the installer wouldn't get patched, so you would have to install boot loader and drivers after the installation. A better way would be the ModUSB, which, if you used this we could possibly also set up a new version of Chameleon on it. :) This ModUSB would have to be installed from a Linux distro or from a Mac/existing OS X install.

It's kind of complicated, but even though the ModCD's drivers and patches are supported in Lion the version of Chameleon it's using is not. An answer could be the same as the answer to the following:

Assuming that the version of Chameleon supported Lion, you could do that but the installer wouldn't get patched, so you would have to install boot loader and drivers after the installation. A better way would be the ModUSB, which, if you used this we could possibly also set up a new version of Chameleon on it. :) This ModUSB would have to be installed from a Linux distro or from a Mac/existing OS X install.

Sounds good. What steps do I need to do with the ModUSB? I have a MacBook Air with Lion or I can install a Linux distro. I'm really wanting to get OSX Lion installed on my Elitebook. It would be great to use a 17" inch screen with Lion. Also, what do you mean that I will have to install a bootloader and drivers after installation? Thanks for all your help.

I ran the 10.6.4 update on my laptop and I got the kernel panic again.

post-994271-0-79637900-1337217675_thumb.jpg

So I figured I would try another route. I found hard drive and put it in my desktop computer. Using the OSX86 Mod CD I tried to instal SL 10.6.3. After about 15 minutes a screen poped up with the message Installation Failed. I restarted the computer and reran the insall, selecting to retry the instalation when prompted for the install location. Again the Insallation Failed messaged poped up.

I rebooted the computer and hoped for the best but no luck it didn't get to the desktop.

So after searching around I found on TonyMac86's website the ###### + ###### programs for installing Snow Leopard.

I was able to get SL to install using the ###### CD on my desktop and most everything worked. Only no internet access since it wasn't able to install the onboard ethernet card.

Than I upgraded to 10.6.4 with no problem, everything still working. But I decided not to install ######. Rebooted the computer and still working ok. So I figured I would take a leap and go with the 10.6.8 combo update, since not installing ###### with 10.6.4 went ok I decided not to install again and stay with the ###### CD to boot.

Reboot again and I get to the desktop with 10.6.8. I figured everthing was good till I tried to use the mouse, the mouse isn't working whether I use a PS2 or a USB mouse. But the PS2 keyboard does work.

On a second reboot I noticed that there was an error loading the kext for com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI

Picture of error

post-994271-0-73242700-1337217583_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions on what I should do to get USB and PS2 working?

I have a couple of ethernet cards laying around if I can't get the onboard one working. I believe it's an nVidia MCP 55

Desktop specs:

MSI MS-7510 P7N Diamond motherboard

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

4GB Dual Channel memory

320GB HD

nVidia 9800 GT Video

Sound Blaster Xi-Fi sound card

Thanks again

Here's a picture of the Installation Failed screen

post-994271-0-48175300-1337218249_thumb.jpg

success......laptop completed.....little things not working but I can get around those....USBs.....2 only work.......WIFI...i can use a USB Wifi if I need it.....

@dawilliams glad to see you got things going with your Lion install on your laptop.

@Pookymac man

Any thoughts on what I should do on my desktop? I tried installing 10.6.3 again using the OSX86 mod CD. This time I was able to get all the way through the installation, but on reboot it hangs at waiting on root device (I think that's what it said).

Thanks for all your assistance so far!

Okay, I took note of the video card ID's. However, I also want to try to get the Installer running because every time I boot into it, my mouse or keyboard are both in total paralysis since they appear to be the cheap-shot USB devices I purchased from Office Depot. I took snapshots of my mouse and keyboard ID's since neither of them start with VEN or DEV.

micea.th.jpg

97229199.th.jpg

What do I have to take into consideration here now that I am puzzled. So far, the only thing I did figure out about the differences between all mice and keyboards (both USB and built-in) is that although I installed OSX using my laptop's built-in Synaptics pointing device (at the least) for all mouse cursor movement, I can't do anything with the USB keyboard and mouse (not even PS/2 in that matter) trying to get OSX on my tower.

I actually have a Belkin Wifi USB adapter that says it is compatible with most Windows and Mac platforms. I never read anything about this adapter being "OSx86" compatible, wish I can give it a shot if my tower can install OSX and behave for once...

i can use a USB Wifi if I need it.....

Hello PookyMacMan,

I've just managed to install Snow Leopard on my Desktop following your awesome tutorial. I just have one problem, as my PC has a logitech keyboard & Mouse and those are connected to the PC via bluetooth, and when I boot, it tells me to insert a keyboard because it doesn't seem to find the one I have. My keyboard & Mouse is the MX5500. Is there any way i can use them or do I have to have a wired keyboard and mouse ?

Thank you,

Bleeding_me

Note: the OS version I installed is Snow Leopard 10.6.6 SSE2 SSE3.

Did the Installer have bluetooth capability when trying to install OSX?

my PC has a logitech keyboard & Mouse and those are connected to the PC via bluetooth

Any thoughts on what I should do on my desktop?

Hm...what controller is your target HDD on? PATA, SATA? Post your IDs if your not sure.

Most likely this either means 1. your DVD drive is unsupported or on a not-as-well supported controller, or 2. your HDD is on a not-so-well supported controller.

Okay, I took note of the video card ID's. However, I also want to try to get the Installer running because every time I boot into it, my mouse or keyboard are both in total paralysis since they appear to be the cheap-shot USB devices I purchased from Office Depot. I took snapshots of my mouse and keyboard ID's since neither of them start with VEN or DEV.

If they're USB devices we won't need the IDs. The only devices we need IDs for are PCI devices, such as your USB controller.

What do I have to take into consideration here now that I am puzzled. So far, the only thing I did figure out about the differences between all mice and keyboards (both USB and built-in) is that although I installed OSX using my laptop's built-in Synaptics pointing device (at the least) for all mouse cursor movement, I can't do anything with the USB keyboard and mouse (not even PS/2 in that matter) trying to get OSX on my tower.

Yup, USB/PS/2 support issue. Post your USB controller and your PS/2 controller's IDs and I'll see what I can do.

I actually have a Belkin Wifi USB adapter that says it is compatible with most Windows and Mac platforms. I never read anything about this adapter being "OSx86" compatible, wish I can give it a shot if my tower can install OSX and behave for once...

If something is OS X compatible, it is OSx86 compatible, with the rare exceptions of PowerPC only devices. As long as it's not too old it should (hopefully) be OK. :)

Hello PookyMacMan,

I've just managed to install Snow Leopard on my Desktop following your awesome tutorial. I just have one problem, as my PC has a logitech keyboard & Mouse and those are connected to the PC via bluetooth, and when I boot, it tells me to insert a keyboard because it doesn't seem to find the one I have. My keyboard & Mouse is the MX5500. Is there any way i can use them or do I have to have a wired keyboard and mouse ?

Bluetooth may not be detected properly. Is it internal or external?

I would personally use wired for installation, and then afterwards get my bluetooth devices working. :)

Note: the OS version I installed is Snow Leopard 10.6.6 SSE2 SSE3.

Is this Hazard? You're going to want to get a retail disc...

Just so you all know, I've been working on a secret project...I am making a new version of the ModCD for Lion. :D I will also adapt the Snow Leopard ModCD for more advanced capabilities. :)