Which ThinkPad to purchase for Mac OS X86?

3nigma

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is my first time on the forums, thanks for the great stuff already! I am a fresh convert from Windows. I was going to switch to Ubuntu, but a friend encouraged me to try PC-BSD instead. I am hooked and looks like this will be my main OS!

But to get to my point, I also researched and found this group and want to join the crew! I want to buy a new ThinkPad to triple boot PC-BSD, Mac OS X86, and Windows XP/Vista on. I was wondering if the community could help me research which ThinkPad to get? Here is a list of the models that I am debating between: T40, T41, T42, T43, and T60 (and the "p" variations for each one, meaning "Performance," such as T60p, etc.). Each model has different submodels with different WiFi cards, different video cards, etc.

My question is, what's the ultimate best setup? Just the hardware to figure out Mac OS X is fine for now, I will use the PC-BSD forums to find out the best solution for that OS. I've read that the Atheros cards are the ones to get, not the Intel ones. What video cards work best? That kind of stuff. I will then cross-reference my two lists to get the ultimate ThinkPad model to purchase.

Could you help me out? I am still a fresh n00b and don't really know hardly anything just yet. I still have to learn about partitions and Fat32 and all that stuff, but I'm excited to learn! The thing I am the most excited about is just having a nice ThinkPad that I can boot PC-BSD on as my main OS, but have Mac OS X as an option (that I might even use as my MAIN OS!) as well!

Thanks in advance for the great insight and forums, and I'm looking very forward to the project!

Talk to ya soon,

-3nigma

I have a t42. The thing to watch out for is the video card. Mine has a 32mb radeon mobility 7500, which through lots of tweaking by the smart people here in these forms, is functioning quite well. There is a nice and simple package to install to get it going.

Search the forms for my recent post, "which thinkpad" should get you to it. If i remember correctly, avoid the radeon mobility 9000. You will not get Quartz Extreme with that card (osx86 is not cool without it).

Wireless is not working on my machine (intel 2200)... yet.

Also get at least a pentium M chip. Mine is 1.7ghz

• 2 months later...

I have OSX86 and XP installed on my T41p. OS X runs great with 10.4.8 and the old kernel (except sleep and intel speed step). I would recommend that laptop, but it is probably not save for future releases like Leopard (if that gets cracked)....

• 1 month later...