Fusion 4 and Snow Leopard Hackintosh: Any problems?

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I've got Fusion 3 running great on my Snow Leopard hackintosh.

However, I was wondering if anyone has installed Fusion 4 on theirs and if you've experienced any problems.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Maconvert

Hi Everyone,

I've got Fusion 3 running great on my Snow Leopard hackintosh.

However, I was wondering if anyone has installed Fusion 4 on theirs and if you've experienced any problems.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Maconvert

Let me guess...

Everyone is waiting for me to try it first.

:)

Let me guess...

Everyone is waiting for me to try it first.

:)

I have had VMware fusion 4.01 and 4.02 since they came out and am having problems both in 10.6.8 as well as 10.7.1: I have no problems with Fusion v 3.1.3:

With version 4 everything runs fine until I put the computer to sleep: then when I start a virtual machine in fusion 4 the host system (mac) reboots. i.e somehow a signal gets through to the host to restart immediately.

This happens when starting a Virtual machine (WXP) or resuming a Virtual machine (WXP)

and happens almost immediately after pressing the chevron (big white arrow); the screen just goes black as the machine reboots; nothing logged or anything it seems

Before sleeping VMWare fusion is always completely off (quit)

I have now tried everything I can think of using various combinations of Kexts, even removing sleepenabler and disabler kexts, my rig could still sleep and wake but I had the same effect as before with fusion 4.

I have also tried the following without success:

** Rolling back to fusion v 3.1.3 and reinstalling again

** I watched the kexts of fusion using the console command kextstat and couldn't see a real difference when starting fusion before or after sleep, and the kexts disappear when one exist fusion. The kexts being vcmcp, vsockets, vmioplug, vmnet.

(only vsockets changed in some form , originally the kext output was vsockets 110 2 5 4 , and after sleep and restart fusion became vsockets 120 2 5 4; I don't see that makes a difference; but I don't know what these numbers in kextstat mean yet )

** ethernet driver: used to have issues, so I installed the latest greatest that has just come out

(I haven't tried the Realtek original latest yet, but this is an unlikely issue)

** I switched of accelerated 3D graphics in the virtual machine settings

** I tried upgrading to a later version of FakeSMC, I am using v2.7.2; but got a KP using the latest FakeSMC version 4.93 so upgrading requires more research to get the latest Fakesmc working

It could be a combination of BIOS, Chameleon, FakeSMC etc etc.

For my next step I am wondering whether it would be useful to see if bios starts by

biosforceSetuponce = "TRUE" in the VMX file

Like you I don't see any messages on hackintosh and fusion 4

Have we got any other experiences with fusion v 4.02 on hackintoshes

machine EP45-DQ6 gigabyte

memory 4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I'm on to something...

If I disable Virtualization Technology in BIOS, the problem seems to go away. This is not a particularly good workaround of course, since this means virtualization is running entirely in software.

Perhaps downgrading to Fusion 3 is the best workaround here... I have a feeling I might just use this as an excuse to build a new Hack :-p

• 2 weeks later...