[Problem] GMA X3100 Random Graphic Freeze, Mouse Cursor Still Works

niotech

180 posts in this topic

I forgot to mention that I updated Lion to 10.7.4 (beta). Macbook 5,1 SMBIOS makes the SSDT tables from everest or aida work and register the GPULimit, Macbook 3,1 SMBIOS register GPULimit but SSDT tables doesn't work, in fact it makes the system pretty unstable and almost unusable. Ive tried with SMBIOS Macbook 3,2 but it doesn't register GPULimit which i think is the cause of the freezes...

Did anyone try to SSH a Mac when it happens? A lot of people report that they have the same bug on original Mac and when they SSH they see WindowServer is frozen and takes 100% of CPU. (Just enter "windowserver freeze lion mouse moves" in goog).

It may be the same problem as we have, no?

P.S. Some people suggest a solution to this deleting

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/*windowserver*

I tried it and it worked for me for several hours - I didn't catch a single freeze. But then it started happening again

Did anyone try to SSH a Mac when it happens? A lot of people report that they have the same bug on original Mac and when they SSH they see WindowServer is frozen and takes 100% of CPU. (Just enter "windowserver freeze lion mouse moves" in goog).

It may be the same problem as we have, no?

P.S. Some people suggest a solution to this deleting

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/*windowserver*

I tried it and it worked for me for several hours - I didn't catch a single freeze. But then it started happening again

I monitored all processes with terminal from another computer and windowserver doesn't take all the CPU, all processes work normally, also tried killing the process windowserver but still remain frozen and reboot kill all processes but doesn't reboot, gets stuck. The problem seem to be related with the way OS X handles the graphic card X3100.

In my case MacBook 5,1 makes all my hackintosh significantly slower and doesn't help :(

You should see if your processor is memrom or penryn, in my case is memrom, your should try macbook4,1 if it is penryn.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried every MacBook possible with no success :(

BUT when I reinstalled Mac OS X 10.7.0 and then updated to 10.7.2 and restored from Time Machine my previous config, the freezes disappeared!!!! I run the same config as before, the same DSDT and the same SMBIOS (with non-existent MacBookPro2,3). But there are no freezes. So it makes me think the problem is not in MacBook version. And I run the same set of kexts as before (10.7.2 + replaced X3100FB from you, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooTSCSync, and AppleACPIPlatform from 10.6.7 (or else I have problems with sleep which I cannot fix), patched AppleRTC for BIOS fix and patched IOAHCIFamily for TRIM, patched AppleHDA and FakeSMC with a couple of plugins, patched Apple16X50Serial + TabletEnabler for Wacom).

No freezes for 2 days on the same config. I tried every single software that caused freezes before (like Parallels or Adobe software or Flash) - everything is ok. I can't understand why

Here's another update. I tried installing another bootloader, Clover. This is what i got so far: FSB 200 and CPU 2000mhz, it gets a lot better with graphic animations and transitions. Just one problem.. AUDIO... it isnt working right... it gets choppy... Maybe needs to disable auto patch of HDA from clover config at boot...

Used Darwin Dumper to get all tables and copied to EFI folder.

Here's another update. I tried installing another bootloader, Clover. This is what i got so far: FSB 200 and CPU 2000mhz, it gets a lot better with graphic animations and transitions. Just one problem.. AUDIO... it isnt working right... it gets choppy... Maybe needs to disable auto patch of HDA from clover config at boot...

Also i have trouble with videos... no freezes but videos are out of sync... dammmmmmm.....

Hi, still no freezes?

I tried everything, SSDT tables, Clover, 10.5.8 FB, Speedstep inject etc. Nothing helps. I have this problem for 3 years, my x3100 froze on Leo, SL, everywhere.

Notice, no every1 have trouble with x3100, just several persons, who post here. So I think reason is very simple, there is problem with hardware, no with config, maybe Intel release some chip series with defect, maybe some function, witch mac require simply doesn't work becouse chip is defected, but these chips have been simply installed into low-price hardware destined for Windows users, Intel included a patch into driver for Windows, but Apple didn't, because defected chips never present into Apple hardware.

For confirmation of my theory i tried run Lion on other mainboard of my Acer 5660, witch I flooded and replace with new, but it should works fine after clean. But no luck, graphic crash on install without FB kext, on that same HD i got KP after login. Maybe it is flood effect? I checked it by installing Windows with orginal x3100 drivers and playing games for 4 hours without any problem. Even worst series of chip? I dont know. I know one - I'll sell this {censored}. So little missed for perfect osx86, just that {censored} freezes.

Well, the theory about cheap hardware is not for me :) I have a top IBM hardware, the most expensive laptop they were selling. it works on Win without problems. And on 10.6.7 without any problems too! Starting from 10.6.8 and now 10.7.2 I had freezes.

My 2-cents for the theory is that the persons that have this problems both

1) Use VGA-out

2) Use extensive graphic software

persons that have this problems both

1) Use VGA-out

Nope. I had freezes a lot more earlier than I started to test external displays via VGA out.

2) Use extensive graphic software

Not really. Spaces switching animation is enough.

Or, and that's weird, nothing at all: I left my machine for a night downloading, display switched off after five minutes and when I woke up I pressed any key, screens go up and voila - freeze, regarding to download's state it was stuck five hours earlier.

I switched from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 again, so I will try to test some cases. Again.

Then I'm out of ideas! What helped me was reinstalling 10.7.0 from scratch (without any 3rd party kernels or something) - a pure Mac OS X installation + Chameleon, and then upgrading to 10.7.2 and adding my specific kexts. I cannot tell what is the difference between two copies - I'm so tired of hours and hours of testing and freezing

Another update... i found out that the extensive use of safari makes the system freeze more often (also full screen switching apps), I installed chrome as an alternative and my freezes stopped!!!!... i've been two days without freezes and without turning it off or rebooting...

• 2 weeks later...

In order to try my approach to the solution of freezes in a hack book with x3100 here's what you need to do.

1) Extract SSDT tables and DSDT from Everest or AIDA64 from WINDOWS

2) Patch your DSDT with X3100 hack code injection for 1280x800 display screen.dsl.zip

3) Remove all legacy injectors such as Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook32_107.kext

4) Use chameleon wizard to generate a valid MacBook5,1 SMBIOS and install it in /Extra

5) Install the latest revision of chameleon v2 (r1902)

6) Install the leopard X3100fb kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext_Leopard_1058.zip and FakeSMC4,2

7) Use terminal to update kernel caches

sudo kextcache -v 1 -l -s -n -t -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

7) Be sure to put DSDT and SSDT tables in /Extra and select these values in chameleonwizard

caputre2.jpg

8) Reboot!...

This is a temporal solution, after 8 hours of intense work it didn't froze but it hanged... (no kernel panic or mouse still working, everything stopped..)

@Jorge Rivera, I Tried this but my processor now get warm. then, i'm use my old dsdt and only patch the injection and remove the ssdt.

now the x3100 freeze but mouse ok.

can you help-me?

my dsdt and ssdt extracted from windows with AIDA64 withouth patch + old dsdt + extra folder:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69264661/extra%20olddsdt%20-%20aida64%20dsdt%20-%20ssdt.zip

One more notice.

I reinstalled Adobe soft and freezes came back. So I reinstalled Mac OS X again (10.7.2) and restored from Time Machine (with the same Adobe soft and everything - including old kexts) - freezes disappeared!

I cannot explain this phenomena

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok news flash, after experimenting A LOT i've given up to go back to LEOPARD (10.5.8) and it seem much more stable, doesnt heat so much, graphics are smoother, no freezing on safari and youtube or Adobe apps (CS5 master collection). I'm using SSDT from Aida64 and latest chameleon revision. The down side, there are some apps that doesnt work under Leopard. (Sparrow i miss you!!!). But i will survive!!!

• 1 month later...

Here's another update... I installed Windows 8 on Acer 5920, but in spite the minimalist and modern look, i couldnt get used to that... so i got back experimenting... now im runing snow leopard 10.6.8 and got a better perfomance after flashing the bios with a modified rom and extracting the SSDT tables from Aida64 and loading them with chimera (7 tables). I have to say that graphics are really more smooth than on leopard and it feels like a real mac book now... 20120908-drxkk3wrx3qnhr53r7aw34uimt.jpg

Modified Bios Rom (Enable Core multi-processing) Link

PD: Smbios > Macbook 3,2 (Just change the name to avoid apple default power management)

Core 2 Duo E7300

Edited by Jorge Rivera

• 1 month later...

I really didn't have this problem when running 10.7.4 and even 10.7.5 betas. However, now that I am running 10.7.5 with supplement, it's come back with frequency. Not really sure what's causing it. It may just be an update of Flash since it usually occurs when Safari is running.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try this version of FakeSMC (3.1.0) and report back if it saves the day.

There is newer FakeSMC ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/307-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-5-2-update.html ).

Extract that .kext from ###### and replace your FakeSMC, there is much more improvement.

There is newer FakeSMC ( http://www.tonymacx8...5-2-update.html ).

Extract that .kext from ###### and replace your FakeSMC, there is much more improvement.

This specific version (3.1.0) has so far fixed the problem for me, but I'll try the newer FakeSMC and see how that works out

• 2 weeks later...

Try this version of FakeSMC (3.1.0) and report back if it saves the day.

Sadly :(, the problem still occurs for me, meaning this version of FakeSMC (3.1.0) did not fix the issue... and likely was not the cause of the issue.

What was different though (in my case) was that the freezes happen less likely, to the point that you think the issue is solved. But alas...

Some of us are stuck with these machines using x3100, no other option other than to keep trying or switch OS!