Mac Mini Pro?

otisg

9 posts in this topic

Okay,

So I've been reading these forums for a while now and I've undertaken one project so far - a G5 Hackintosh. I have neglected to post updates or details of that project because there seem to be so many already and I felt I had nothing new to contribute.

However, I recently got an idea that I think is worth pursuing (whenever I have the requisite cash..). I stumbled upon this Macally Hard Drive Enclosure (styled after the mac pro) and wondered whether or not it could be modded with a Mini-ITX board into a bad-ass HTPC.

41G4s5NcrgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The dimensions (11.5 x 9 x 2.8 inches, from Amazon) make it seem possible to me given the Mini-ITX form factor (6.7 x 6.7 in). Does anyone have any thoughts about what components might make sense (i.e. I will likely need a tiny or external psu and a small flash chip or hdd). I wonder if maybe some boards have a psu and storage onboard? The only question then would be, "Can I put OS X Lion on it?"

I would probably be looking at close to the following specs:

Macally G-S350SU (modded into an HTPC case) [$30, Amazon]

Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 (or better-suited board) [$110, Amazon]

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM [$30, Amazon]

Intel Core i3-2125 3.30 GHz (using HD3000 graphics) [$160, Amazon]

Tiny PSU (probably <150 W) [$ ?, ?] <- UPDATE: Maybe this PSU??? (picoPSU-150-XT)

Tiny Storage (maybe SSD? ~64 GB) [$ ?, ?]

Oh, and Mac OS X Lion, of course ;) [$29, Apple]

Total cost: $359 (Case/MB/RAM/CPU/OS) + ? (PSU/Storage)

So, in summary, if this is possible it would be a cheap route to a great looking and capable HTPC or, as I would call it, the Mac Mini Pro.

Otisg

So, based on a cursory reading, it looks as though Mini-ITX is still too big (the Amazon measurements probably included the handles...).

Seems as though I need to find an LGA 1155 board that can fit in this...

2985389126_be8e3694bf_b.jpg

© wolphcry

This may be a lost cause unless someone knows of a suitable board. In the meantime, I'll keep looking around.

I'd push for an old core duo mac mini with a bad hdd or bad RAM. You could probably nab one for $100-$150+ and it would make life easier with the 6.5x6.5" logic board. Would take a lot of the fun out of the hackintosh process though. You could also use a busted Dell mini netbook.

-Z

look for kontron boards or commell boards...industrial grade boards with smaller than itx form factors

but be prepared ... wacky DSDTS and pretty hefty price tags

Picoitx or nanoitx with 1155 i dont know any up to this date...

Saw once a mod with a picoitx board with exactly this enclosure but i can't find the link anymore..

peace

loud thinking: the macally drive seems to have little space to left and right of drive when fitted...3,5" drives are 4" wide (101,6mm) maybe the macally is 5"... but minitx doesn't fit without cutting..if you can do some metal work i have something for you MiniHackProParts.pdf

can't remember where i downloaded this but if you do little scaling the numbers you can build a mac pro any size :)

I'd push for an old core duo mac mini with a bad hdd or bad RAM. You could probably nab one for $100-$150+ and it would make life easier with the 6.5x6.5" logic board. Would take a lot of the fun out of the hackintosh process though. You could also use a busted Dell mini netbook.

-Z

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...