10.6 kernel cannot not access my drive!

k6fca0x4d7

1 post in this topic

Hi! Everyone,

I tried to install Snow Leopard on my laptop (Dell Precision M70) by using the Hazard 10.6.6i installation disc. In order to let it boot into the GUI installer, I removed ElliotForceRTC.kext manually to prevent kernel panic. After that, the system would boot into the installer, then the following problems occurred:

1) When I tried to use "Disk Utility" to erase/resize/split the partition, it would always hang there, displaying "Unmounting disk...".

2) I then used iPC 10.5.6 Leopard install dvd to modify the disk by spliting then into 2 partitions. Both were formatted as "Mac OS (Journaled)". The hard drive used GPT scheme.

3) After that, I popped in the Hazard 10.6.6i installation disc and started the installer. However, It would not install on the target partition, showing me "-3" hours remaining...

4) I then opened the installer log and selected the view type as "All". The log showed me that it stuck at "Checking "Macintosh HD" for consistency...".

5) I did know that Apple has been using base-10 hard drive disk space recognition technology since Snow Leopard. Would that be the problem?

6) I discovered that not only Hazard 10.6.6i but also other distributions that use 10.6 kernel will have the same symptom. That is, failed to access the drive.

7) The hard disk is in good condition. No bad sectors, and the SMART is okay.

8) If I install Leopard or Tiger on it, it will be a success because the disk can be accessed by them.

Below are my system specifications:

Laptop Model: Dell Precision M70

Processor: Intel Pentium M 780 (2.26 GHz) => SSE2 supported.

Memory: 2GB of DDRII RAM

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400

Hard Drive: HITACHI 160G SATA

Installation Disc Configurations:

1) Type: Hazard 10.6.6i SSE2/SSE3 Intel Only

2) Modification: Removed ElliotForceRTC.kext only.

Can anyone help me solve the problem? Much appreciated! :-)