VoodooHDA - common problems

oldnapalm

178 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to enable HDMI Audio on my ATI Saphire Radeon HD 5450, VID 1002 | DID AA01 (from Windows)| SubSys 00AA0100. In 10.7.3 via System Info app DID AA01 is displayed as AA68 (ATI Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series] [1002:aa68]). VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 detects the HDMI device but does not find any output controls with it. I then applied the trick as per Slice's instructions to set the device and vendor ID in Info.plist, then create one entry for each card in IOKitPersonalities, to no avail.

Here's my VoodooHDA getdump. I am aware there are several possible approaches (hex editing ATIFramebuffer; hex editing VoodooHDA;) or even a mix of them.

What I could need at this point is advice which path you think I should follow.

Thank you,

Bugs

Maybe you can control the volume from your TV (or whatever you're connecting to via HDMI)?

hey PookyMacMan, it's April 16 not 1 - or do we need a new FAQ entry "Should I reply to a posting without having read it in an awake state?" .. :wink2:

?

From what I know, HDMI devices don't have controls via software (volume keys) with Voodoo...

Possibly, however, the VolumeControlFix might do the trick.

Hi,

I have a sound problem with my laptop acer 8930g.with a 5,1 soundcard Realtek ALC889 and 6 speakers but only two front speakers works!Maybe someone can help me:

I have this with Getdump:

75439073.jpg

capturedcran20120417212.jpg

The 6 channel is in the Nid 17 / nid 22 / nid 23 / nid 25 / nid 27 and nid 28

In the next screenshot as we can see, only two channel working!

17800293.jpg

And here only stereo is activable!!

61311604.jpg

How Can i activate the 6 channels and the 6 speakers? maybe can you help to edit the info.plist?

Thank you for your help

• 3 weeks later...

Newbie at this - installed Voodoohda 2.7.2 kext and prefpane, got the sound to work, but sometimes the notebook hangs when booting, say once every three times or so. Also the built in mic is monitored to the speakers by default so I get feedback loop every bootup.. I have read this thread and understand I likely need to add vendor id 10DE and device id 0AC0 to info.plist, and change some of the default values, but where should info.plist be?

Figured it out - opened the kext using text wrangler and that will show the contents and the plist file

Edited by ssuuki9

Is anyone else other than me having problem with Voodoohda.kext 2.7.3 + lion 10.7.4? So far I have clear working sound with the version 2.7.3 + lion 10.7.3 but since when I have upgraded to 10.7.4 I have no sound (and a massive KP before removing the AppleHDA.kext).

Wonder who can help, thanks

• 1 month later...

I upgraded to Mountain Lion DP4 from Lion, which was working fine with my audio. I have a P5N-E SLI motherboard which uses ALC883 chipset, as well as a graphics card with HDMI onboard, I modified my Info.plist to remove the HDMI audio, and the audio is now visible, all of the interfaces are there, I can change the volume, etc. But there is no sound, either in the line-out or the headphone ports.

Here's my getdump: http://pastebin.com/59k75prs, and my getdumpext: http://pastebin.com/5XsCB9K9.

Oh, I'm using VoodooHDA 2.7.4 from here - 2746-VoodooHDA-v2, but I get the same result with VoodooHDA 2.7.3.

• 1 month later...

Make a new dump after patching nodes and check if they were applied (patched pins configuration), if they are not then you probably did something wrong.

Hey man, i was wondering if you could help me out with my problem, where audio devices are appearing as different device id in Windows and Mac. Here is the link to my problem

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279978

• 5 weeks later...

I have Zotac IONITX mobo running Lion 10.7.3. This board has an nvidia chipset with built-in Intel

High Definition Audio, which audio apprears correct in audio tab in About this Mac. However, looking

in System Preferences/Audio it says "no output devices found", and in fact there is no sound output.

I'm using VoodooHDA 2.7.2. I've tried replacing the vendor/deviceID in VoodooHDA Info.plist with the

correct value (10de0ac0) - doesn't help. VoodooHDA.kext doesn't load on boot, but can be loaded using

kextutil - that doesn't help either.

Would appreciate ideas as to how to diagnose and/or fix.

Thx, Gus

Hey i have sound crackles problem i removed my applehda next and installed voodoohda, restarted my pc and opened up voodoohda pref pane, looks like i do not have the sound treatment options but just mixer controls can anyone help me? I also see a circle at the left side but when clicked nothing happens :help:

Hi all,

I have some problems with my audio in Mountain Lion.

With voodooHDA 2.7.3 i have "scratcy" and somewhat distorted sound also in the prefpane it only shows HDMI output which i don't use.

How can i solve those problems?

Below are my modified plist and dump.

Read THIS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get the sound card + HDMI sound to work. The sound card works. HDMI does not work.

I have tried versions of VoodooHDA up till 2.7.4 with the same result - sound card works, but HDMI sound does not work (no sound at all).

I have used DPCI Manager to identify which device IDs to put in to info.plist. So now I have:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x3b568086</string>

<string>0xaa381002</string>

Additional Symtoms:

HDMI option in System preferences -> Sound is present, but selecting it does not produce sound over HDMI

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/0K091S0v383Q

The sound card devices are not listed System preferences -> VoodooHDA prefpanel; Strangely HDMI is listed, but controls don't work.

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/35282X213H3G

getDump shows only the HDMI device. Not sure if this is normal.

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/text/1k3f2B3z3Y2T

My files:

DPCI Manager http://cl.ly/image/0B050O0z0z1j

info.plist http://cl.ly/0g1u0K2l3D0R

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated wink_anim.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, i have problem related to AD1981.

Before trying others VoodooHDA kexts the external microphone worked well. Now, don't know why, the microphone level limit is only at 3.

166ix4w.png

I also reinstalled OS X again but it still doesn't work.

Please help me!

Thanks for this guide... it helped me get sound working on my Dell Inspiron 520! :thumbsup_anim:

I did a setup following this guide, and everything worked but the NIC and the sound card. I removed AppleHDA and a couple of other audio kexts, then installed VoodooHDA. It worked, but about every other boot I would get a KP. After making some of the changes in the OP my system has (so far) boot nicely every time!

Just a couple of things:

1) The VoodooHDA applet isn't showing up in System Preferences. The sound works and I can make adjustments in System Preferences - Sound, but I thought I'd mention that the VoodooHDA app isn't there.

2) The sound level is acceptable but a bit on the quiet side when compared to Win7 (same computer, different partition). When I changed VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix to True, I didn't notice any difference. Does that mean that the settings are as loud as they can go?

I'm trying to get the sound card + HDMI sound to work. The sound card works. HDMI does not work.

I have tried versions of VoodooHDA up till 2.7.4 with the same result - sound card works, but HDMI sound does not work (no sound at all).

I have used DPCI Manager to identify which device IDs to put in to info.plist. So now I have:

<string>0x3b568086</string>

<string>0xaa381002</string>

Additional Symtoms:

HDMI option in System preferences -> Sound is present, but selecting it does not produce sound over HDMI

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/0K091S0v383Q

The sound card devices are not listed System preferences -> VoodooHDA prefpanel; Strangely HDMI is listed, but controls don't work.

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/35282X213H3G

getDump shows only the HDMI device. Not sure if this is normal.

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/text/1k3f2B3z3Y2T

My files:

DPCI Manager http://cl.ly/image/0B050O0z0z1j

info.plist http://cl.ly/0g1u0K2l3D0R

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated wink_anim.gif

Exactly the same here. Doing several things (disabled onboard audio, removing all the rest of the audio kexts, inserting device ID...)

Voodoo Preference Pane does not work - it is inactive. It can not be uninstalled through normal procedure (Right click + Delete), only manually.

In this case the complete "Bundled Voodoo Package" is deleted with single stroke in Clean My Mac - Uninstall App

Any hints?

• 3 months later...

Just popping in here because I didn't see this solution anywhere. Most of the problems with distortion and/or crackling are related to drift between the system clock and the device samplerate. That's why it can be temporarily fixed by resetting the samplerate in the Audio MIDI utility. Some may have some luck by forcing the use of HPET clock in Chameleon:

<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>Yes</string>

It worked for me!

• 1 month later...

Just popping in here because I didn't see this solution anywhere. Most of the problems with distortion and/or crackling are related to drift between the system clock and the device samplerate. That's why it can be temporarily fixed by resetting the samplerate in the Audio MIDI utility. Some may have some luck by forcing the use of HPET clock in Chameleon:

<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>Yes</string>

It worked for me!

Could you elaborate on that. System clock....effect? That's the issue I'm having. The only version working for me is 2.8.2. Sound starts out perfect but after a few minutes static, crackle, distortion, sets in until it totally looses the sound, left with popping distorted bits of sound. Also on booting speaker give off a pop. Going to midi setup and changing frequency fixes it but only temporarily after a few minutes same thing. Can't figure it out. Force HPET did not work for me.

• Like 1

Hi guys, does anyone know why my sound stops working every time I restart my 10.8.2 machine?

I have the ALC 882 chip and am using the VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 kext. I have to reinstall them to get the sound back.

I tink this might be related to the 'sound treatment' options in the prefpane never saving.

Anyone know what's wrong and whether I can fix it easily?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly a simple question to answer...

I'm using 10.8.3.

VoodooHDA installed fine but the volume was VERY low.

I edited the info.plist, saved it and rebooted. Upon reboot VoodooHDA didn't detect any compatible devices. How do I fix this?

Prior to this I had never edited a .plist before. Did I miss a step?

• 2 months later...

Hia Hackintoshers,

My first post on this forum.

I am using 10.8.3 Mountain Lion with Voodoo 2.8.4. It works great until the KP sound/crackling sounds come in eventually it leads to no sound at or the sound being replaced with i mentioned.

I have found a temporary solution:

which is to go into the Audio MIDI Setup app, and change the format of the audio i.e. from 44100.0Hz to any of the formats available. This gets the sound back to normal until it happens again for which case I change the format again..

Using this temporary solution would mean that i'd be change this continuously throughout computing sessions.

How can I solve this.

Coming from a Ubuntu Linux background i would simply have to write script that has this changing every few minutes(this script would work at the background).

Would there be a similar way for OSX...

Or is there a proper more permanent solution to this.

In linux we have a choice between ALSA or PULSEAUDIO...ubuntu currently use ALSA which also works as a driver...as ALSA almost supports all audio chipsets and that its open-source would there be a way to port ALSA over to OSX

Kind Regards,

npm1

PS Everything on my hackintosh laptop is working excluding power management and audio(partially working), Wifi worked out of the box because i managed to swap the wifi chip for the DELL 4233 chip

I see there's already solutions to my problems, namely low mic volume and volume knob not working.

But is this normal:

OSPbTPU.png

It says that I don't have any audio device, which is weird because sound does work..

EDIT:

Ok, I changed VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix to true and VoodooHDAEnableHalfMicVolumeFix to true.

Now i have no sound and get these errors:

MyHtWvs.png

BBJdEcq.png

Here's my edited Info.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
<string>11A511</string>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>VoodooHDA</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>VoodooHDA</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>2.7.3</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>2.7.3</string>
<key>DTCompiler</key>
<string>4.2</string>
<key>DTPlatformBuild</key>
<string>4B110</string>
<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
<string>GM</string>
<key>DTSDKBuild</key>
<string>10J567</string>
<key>DTSDKName</key>
<string>macosx10.6</string>
<key>DTXcode</key>
<string>0410</string>
<key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
<string>4B110</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>VoodooHDA</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>VoodooHDADevice</string>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>VoodooHDADevice</string>
<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
<string>0x04030000&0xffff0000</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>IOUserClientClass</key>
<string>VoodooHDAUserClient</string>
<key>InhibitCache</key>
<true/>
<key>MixerValues</key>
<dict>
<key>iGain</key>
<string>90</string>
<key>iMix</key>
<string>0</string>
</dict>
<key>NodesToPatch</key>
<array/>
<key>Noise</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>Vectorize</key>
<false/>
<key>VoodooHDAEnableHalfMicVolumeFix</key>
<True/>
<key>VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix</key>
<false/>
<key>VoodooHDAEnableMuteFix</key>
<false/>
<key>VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix</key>
<True/>
<key>VoodooHDAVerboseLevel</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily</key>
<string>1.1fc9</string>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
<string>2.1</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
<string>9.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
<string>9.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
<string>9.0.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
<string>9.0.0</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

EDIT #2

I tried with another version of this kext (VoodooHDA_Fixed_Lion.kext.zip) and only set volumechangefix to true, and it worked!

Will test the mic fix tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

I've installed voodoohda 2.8.4 and the sound works but after a restart sound will not work until I'll remove the green audio jack from the computer and push it back in. Like the sounds needs to reset or something?

Please advise

Thanks