FOUND THE 10.4.7 WINDOWS SMB/CIFS SHARING BUG! [Solution Provided]

Mofo-X

23 posts in this topic

Greetings, ( Hey JaS this for you baby, gonna tell ya one other bug to )

As far as I can tell this will ONLY affect people using the JaS 10.4.7 Install DVD (Includes 10.4.7 Update and Decrypts) and on the Intel Platform. The problem appears to be because of a symlink included in the following package: JaS.10.4.7.Combo.Update.pkg

The problem appears to be caused by the following symlink included in the .pkg file (Again, Intel Only, AMD Fine)

/System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

After removing this symlink (That is not present in AMD update, so I am assuming not needed) I have completly regained SMB/CIFS sharing.

To remove this symlink, launch terminal and type the following command:

sudo unlink /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

HOWEVER, I cannot get the Personal File Sharing service started under SysPrefs->Sharing, seems to hang on Launching, however this was hapening before I removed this symlink. I am also looking into a problem regarding the firewall. If you pick the firewall tab in the Sharing Preferences, you are told another firewall is running, if you hit ok it just says that 'Firewall Unavailable'

ATTN Jas: Also on the install DVD, not sure what plist/info file it is in, you need to prepend a / I believe to your usr/..... Timezone pref file, as it just shows the path instead of available cities (Blank), if you click on the appropriate spot on the map however it populates correctly.

Regards,

{censored}-X

+++ Solution confirmed by JaS +++

Just a comment.

This problem is reported by people who have installed 10.4.7 from the JaS install DVD. People who have 10.4.6 and upgrade to 10.4.7 using the JaS update do not suffer this problem. However, the symlink is present in this updated configuration.

Just a comment.

This problem is reported by people who have installed 10.4.7 from the JaS install DVD. People who have 10.4.6 and upgrade to 10.4.7 using the JaS update do not suffer this problem. However, the symlink is present in this updated configuration.

Greetings,

If the SymLink present in the single update? I don't know if anything is different in the package Jas but on the .7 Install DVD.

{censored}-X:

HOWEVER, I cannot get the Personal File Sharing service started under SysPrefs->Sharing, seems to hang on Launching, however this was hapening before I removed this symlink. I am also looking into a problem regarding the firewall. If you pick the firewall tab in the Sharing Preferences, you are told another firewall is running, if you hit ok it just says that 'Firewall Unavailable'

I for a long time wrote about it (probably my English is very bad):

cd /usr/sbin

sudo rm AppleFileServer

sudo ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleFileServer

Together with it:

The problem is solved!

smb, afp and firewall work!!!

cd /usr/sbin

sudo rm AppleFileServer

sudo ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleFileServer

Together with it:

The problem is solved!

:) I installed Jas 10.4.7 on a P4 630, 2 GB ram, P5GV-MX Mobo with an ATI X1600 PCIe video card and found that the onboard SATA, sound, nic, full video resolutions and extras, a Firewire PCI card all worked. I was stumped by the File Sharing but the above solutions worked perfectly!

Now to get SSE3 and a wireless card to work and quit worrying about it and just use it. Thanks a bunch. You guys have made my week! (but I'll keep reading...)

{censored}-X:

cd /usr/sbin

sudo rm AppleFileServer

Together with it:

The problem is solved!

Greetings Kismus,

I will make a new thread with both fixes included, possibly a fix script as an app as well, hopefully the site staff will make it a sticky, I will also submit to the Tech FAQ on the Wiki, thanks for the applefile server fix.

Regards,

{censored}-X

copy this text into a text file and call it whatever you want.

This should fix the issues

#!/bin/sh

echo "Removing Broken AppleFileServer"

rm /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer

echo "Creating new SymLink to AppleFileServer"

ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleFileServer /usr/sbin/

echo "Repairing SMB (Windows File Sharing)"

unlink /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

echo "Updating Prebindings and Rebooting"

update_prebinding -root / -force

reboot

Anyway , I included the sh script here if someone wants it,just log into your terminal as root and run the script

Thanks Rammjet for pointing out the error in this script :hysterical: I fixed it in the post and in the zip.

Awesome to have the solution.

I created term scripts to mount my windows shares, ends up being loads faster. I'm glad this bug popped up -- I had to learn how to make the script to figure out if I'm at home, and if so automagically mount the shares in OS X.

Thank for you help...

i try a chmod +x command, and have this:

Removing Broken AppleFileServer

rm: /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer: Permission denied

Creating new SymLink to AppleFileServer

ln: /usr/sbin//AppleFileServer: File exists

Repairing SMB (Windows File Sharing)

unlink: /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs: Permission denied

Updating Prebindings and Rebooting

update_prebinding: error: can't create temp image

update_prebinding: error 256 running update_prebinding_core

Failed to clear translated caches; you may want to reboot.

update_prebinding: error: can't create temp image

update_prebinding: error 256 running update_prebinding_core

reboot: Operation not permitted

EDIT: Ok, now work.

thanks for help!