ATY_Init questions [6570M issues solved]

avian

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I got a somewhat silly question, so Im hoping its easy to get an answer.

Regarding Netkas's latest version of ATY_init.kext (found here http://netkas.org/?p=880 ). Looking at the Info.plist, I notice there are categories (child entries) along the lines of "5870 Series" and "6800 Series", but within each category I can't see how the actual card is detected. There is the occasional VendorID line, but no obvious deviceid lines or similar. So how is it done?

Im hoping to add a section for 6570M and have most of the info needed (via an ioreg dump), and most of it seems to make sense, except I have no idea how to tell it that its device 68c0, or whatever method netkas is using.

Any help to get me started would be great, I think I can handle most of the rest myself!

Looks like its in the binary itself. Im gonna try hex editing it a bit and see how I go.. Just incase anyone is interested..

Edit: Binary editing worked. Card now posts, just gotta nail the settings in info.plist. If anyone with a lenovo y560p (device 68c0) is interested, ill post the results later if successful.

Looks like its in the binary itself. Im gonna try hex editing it a bit and see how I go.. Just incase anyone is interested..

Edit: Binary editing worked. Card now posts, just gotta nail the settings in info.plist. If anyone with a lenovo y560p (device 68c0) is interesting, ill post the results later if successful.

I would love to try this on my 6650M in my Acer notebook (id = 0x6741). I'm having only limited success using Graphics Enabler. Please describe how to add the proper device id. Many thanks.

I would love to try this on my 6650M in my Acer notebook (id = 0x6741). I'm having only limited success using Graphics Enabler. Please describe how to add the proper device id. Many thanks.

actually you dont need to add device id or bin patching it.you must only add you desire frambuffer

actually you dont need to add device id or bin patching it.you must only add you desire frambuffer

Nah the device-id was being ignored completely (wasn't being looked for in the binary), so changing frame buffers or adding bin_image did nothing. I simply hijacked the 6900 series section (and linked deviceid 68c0 to that section) since its kinda redundant at the moment since they aren't supported, then changed frame buffers and added a rom image etc. Working fantastically well. Just gotta tweak a few settings like 6bit dithering and what not, ill do that tomorrow.

Yeah GraphicsEnabler didn't handle my 6570M well at all. Out of interest do you ever get your graphics working right with GraphicsEnabler? Like an occasional boot where it works? If so, during that successful boot dump your ioreg ("ioreg -lw0 > saved_ioreg.txt"). That way you got the majority of info and a bios dump to include in ATY_Init.

Anyway what I did was pretty crude. In the binary file inside the kext (ATY_Init/MacOS/ATY_Init) all I did was replace the two mentions of 6719 with the device I wanted to use. Do it with a hex/binary editor like 0xED. Then in the Info.plist file, make the changes you want under the "6900 series" section. So change frame buffer values and display-type, connector-type, put in your ati bios image if you think it'll help. Just don't change the name of the section itself.

Like I said, crude, but it works. And works better than the (at this time) latest chimera/chameleon branches compiled with ati.c edited to know about our 6xxx mobility chips.

This worked for my 6650M as well. I had already edited the Ipomoea frambuffer using my VBIOS information. But when using GraphicsEnabler, half the time I would get a black screen, half the time a corrupted screen and rarely (one out of twenty) good results. Now using the above method, it worked on the third boot, and better Cinebench scores as well. Not perfect but improved. :-)

• Like 1

This worked for my 6650M as well. I had already edited the Ipomoea frambuffer using my VBIOS information. But when using GraphicsEnabler, half the time I would get a black screen, half the time a corrupted screen and rarely (one out of twenty) good results. Now using the above method, it worked on the third boot, and better Cinebench scores as well. Not perfect but improved. :-)

Sounds like what I was getting, except now I got a perfect screen every boot. Out of interest have you also edited the EDID info and what not in display overrides? I did that before editing ATY_init but not sure if thats helping at all, might try and remove the edits later and see if they were necessary.

Sounds like what I was getting, except now I got a perfect screen every boot. Out of interest have you also edited the EDID info and what not in display overrides? I did that before editing ATY_init but not sure if thats helping at all, might try and remove the edits later and see if they were necessary.

Yes, I do have EDID extracted under windows added to display overrides. It wasn't being detected using the default driver, but I'm also not sure if using ATY_init.kext would require this or not. I'm going to post my edited ATY_init.kext and ATI6000Controller.kext in another thread I have on the 6650M. It will be interesting to see what results other people have. Thanks again.

Yes, I do have EDID extracted under windows added to display overrides. It wasn't being detected using the default driver, but I'm also not sure if using ATY_init.kext would require this or not. I'm going to post my edited ATY_init.kext and ATI6000Controller.kext in another thread I have on the 6650M. It will be interesting to see what results other people have. Thanks again.

Great stuff. I've experimented a little by reverting back to a default /S/E/Displays/Overrides folder and can say it doesn't work without EDID info added to display overrides here.

On a side note I have to say the screen on this lenovo y560p is complete garbage. Almost worth selling the laptop because of the screen alone.

Great stuff. I've experimented a little by reverting back to a default /S/E/Displays/Overrides folder and can say it doesn't work without EDID info added to display overrides here.

On a side note I have to say the screen on this lenovo y560p is complete garbage. Almost worth selling the laptop because of the screen alone.

gould you provide little bit more info how to do it from scratch?

i'm looking for a way to make my ATI 6490M (0x6760) work...

gould you provide little bit more info how to do it from scratch?

i'm looking for a way to make my ATI 6490M (0x6760) work...

Could You tell to me?

Did You make a working ATI6490M in your nootebook?

• 4 months later...