Mac OS X Server 10.4 Running

americanloti

6 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I managed to run Mac OS X Server on my P4 1.7Ghz, Chipset Intel 865G. I was wondering if this is a news or if I just discovered the hot water.

I haven't find any information about a running version for Intel chips, but my search wasn't that deep. If this is news I'm here to share.

Hello guys,

I managed to run Mac OS X Server on my P4 1.7Ghz, Chipset Intel 865G. I was wondering if this is a news or if I just discovered the hot water.

I haven't find any information about a running version for Intel chips, but my search wasn't that deep. If this is news I'm here to share.

I do remember back in the early days (Aug/Sept 05) someone reported installing the Server "upgrade" on a Hackintosh, and it was discovered that most of the components are running under Rosetta. That makes it kind of pointless.

However, Apple now ships OS X Server 10.4.7 which is a Universal install DVD. Now THAT would be a copy I would like to get my hands on (we bought 10.4.0 back in February). :-(

I guess I discovered the hot water then :)

I Installed several Server Packages from the PPC version and then upgraded to 10.4.7 with software update. The ServerAdmin Tools should be Universal. The rest of the server feature I can't really say. I guess they are just running with rosetta.

Anyway it seems to work fine, and for my needs (home server/media server) I hope it'll be enough. I'm too waiting to get hands on an Universal copy!

Thanks for the reply!

The 10.4.7 server for intel is floating around.. By installing osx86 10.4.7 & then hacking the version check in the server installer it should be possible to get it running. Installing via pacifist works, but the resulting install won't let you enter the serial number needed to run the server apps...