Request for DSDT for Dell M6400

jriker1

20 posts in this topic

I have been using OS 10.6.3 - 10.6.7 on my Dell M6400 for a while now. Funny how it runs rings around my co-workers who have "real" Mac's. Anywho. I am now on Lion 10.7 and still continue to not being able to shutdown, reboot, and oh boy, DON'T CLOSE THE LID!!!!!

I digress. I currently only have altered my DSDT file to accommodate my NVida Quadro 3700M, otherwise untouched. Was wondering what advice there was, what I could provide, etc to have the ability to shutdown, restart, and close the lid to sleep. Would accept just being able to shutdown completely.

If anyone has any advice, let me know. I can provide any details or files from my system as requested.

JR

Edit: By the way, reading the entries in the forum, download and ran RunMe and attached the results.

send_me.zip

Thanks for the reply. I will give this a try. One question for you if you know. In preparation for help I read before you recommending removing the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file. I removed it for a test from the E/E folder and rebooted. It crashed. I moved the file back and verified permissions and now getting the following:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265488

Thoughts? If I can boot of the install media and replace the dsdt file would it help?

Thanks.

JR

Removed the three requested kext files and put DSDT.aml in my /Extra folder. Although it mentions it in the startup file for Chameleon, put the command line "DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml -v" without the quotes when starting. Still giving the magic file issue in my link above since removing the one kext. Now also got the following after the bluetooth config is loading:

This is a typing of the screen so partial:

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff7f807e137f): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-166/pmThread.c:156

Then some hext addresses. Then some boot args listed. Lists also model name MacPro3,1 and then shows how long it was running in nanoseconds.

JR

Stay tuned. I think my Extensions.mkext needed to be rebuilt also. Just booted into OS finally so confirming all...

OK so what was wierd after fixing the Extensions.mkext off a USB recovery stick, and rebooting in verbose mode, the verbosity of the output was very short. Almost like it loaded a small piece of things. Then rebooted again, and hey it actually rebooted, but hung like it couldn't find the hard drive:

First got: AppleUSBEHCI unable to get device memory

Then:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID ......

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

And kept hanging on the root device.

Rebooted again, and didn't get the above messages. Very odd.

JR

So I can now reboot which is awesome however two items/questions:

1. Is the mods I had for my 3700M Quadro card included in the DSDT file or do i need to add them?

2. Should I be able to shutdown?

Either way I'm grateful as it's definitely better than where I was at before.

Thanks.

JR

I verified the Quadro changes are in there. What's throwing me off right now is after about 30 seconds of the system turning on, the fan would quiet down. Now it's running all the time. Also had were some previously open windows would reopen as expected but the top bar would be all black. Probably an artifact of Hackintosh. Anyway, attached is my logs. Appreciate your time.

When I do a shutdown it does what it always does. Pseudo tries to unmount the disk, says it's done, screen goes blank, blue tooth light goes away, but primary power light is still on.

JR

logs.zip

the old problems in DELL

shutdown / Nvidia GPU

and

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

the old problems in DELL

shutdown / Nvidia GPU

and

So in otherwords I'm SOL beyond where I'm at? Which is still a good place to be. 100% functional except for shutdown. At least I can reboot and then hit the power button instead of a shutdown and then hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Thanks.

JR

I have been using OS 10.6.3 - 10.6.7 on my Dell M6400 for a while now. Funny how it runs rings around my co-workers who have "real" Mac's. Anywho. I am now on Lion 10.7 and still continue to not being able to shutdown, reboot, and oh boy, DON'T CLOSE THE LID!!!!!

I digress. I currently only have altered my DSDT file to accommodate my NVida Quadro 3700M, otherwise untouched. Was wondering what advice there was, what I could provide, etc to have the ability to shutdown, restart, and close the lid to sleep. Would accept just being able to shutdown completely.

If anyone has any advice, let me know. I can provide any details or files from my system as requested.

JR

Edit: By the way, reading the entries in the forum, download and ran RunMe and attached the results.

hello JR

I was failed to install mac os 10.7 on my laptop(m6400 t9900 fx3700m), it stoped on "still waiting for root device". Would you share your dsdt.aml, "extra" files, and "com.apple.Boot.plist" file with me?

my email is shixiaoxiao@gmail.com

many thanks to you

hello JR

I was failed to install mac os 10.7 on my laptop(m6400 t9900 fx3700m), it stoped on "still waiting for root device". Would you share your dsdt.aml, "extra" files, and "com.apple.Boot.plist" file with me?

my email is shixiaoxiao@gmail.com

many thanks to you

Hey, give the below URL a try. I'm at 100% working now on the M6400. Between myself and MadMatt we are golden. Documented our activities and associated files there. Let me know after that any questions you have.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=258845

MaLd0n - If you want to see the additional code that allowed shutdown to work, see page 2 of the above thread. It was pulled from another thread but don't have the link at the moment.

Thanks.

in many cases dont work

GigabYte shutdown

dsdt._PTS.zip

Hi Mald0n, thanks for helping out.

With both the DSDTs you posted my machine (same as JR, except for the processor , he's got a core duo Quad, mine has a core 2 Duo Extreme) , after removing AppleIntelNullCpuPowerManagement , hangs at boot after these lines:

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

AppleLMUController::smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'VMLA'>6 (mangled chars)

(multiple AppleLMUController Lines)

I do have a more recent bios version, but I can also use JR's original DSDT without any issue, I am not using Sleepenabler, EvoReboot and/or Lidsleep

Do you have any Idea what could possibly cause the system hang ?

do you remove AppleIntelNullCpuPowerManagement?

dont remove

power management

Hi, sorry about the confusion, too many reboots :D

I did remove /E/E/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, and kept the original /S/L/E/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/

I don't use Lidsleep, sleepenabler and/or evoreboot

These are the extensions I load in /E/E:

ACPIMonitor.kext				
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext 
VoodooSDHC.kext
BCM5722D.kext				  
IntelCPUMonitor.kext			
SuperIOFamily.kext
FakeSMC.kext
NVClockX.kext				   
VoodooBattery.kext

During the boot I can see every other extension being loaded and (apparently) working ... will remove everything and see if it makes any difference

• 3 months later...

Hi ujen,

you'll have to try the DSDTs posted here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=258845&st=20 ) .. the dsdt posted on post #28 is working for me (shutdown and restart working)

regards

Mattia

PS: don't simply copy the dsdt over yours, we had problems exchanging dsdts (read: kernel panics) so had to manually apply the fixes to the ones working ... ymmv

• 4 months later...