Help! Facetime only working with Photobooth

Noggli

6 posts in this topic

Hello :D

I have a strange problem using Facetime under Lion: the window with the video won't show until I start Photobooth. As soon as I start Facetime, I can see my webcam becoming active (blue lights flashing), Finder menu bar shows Facetime, too – but the window with the video doesn't show. But: If I run Photobooth at the same time right after I launched Facetime, the Facetime video window shows all of a sudden and I can make calls. I don't know what to do. Help greatly appreciated!

Webcam: Logitech C910, using newest Logitech software

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS4

Greets,

N.

Hello :)

I have a strange problem using Facetime under Lion: the window with the video won't show until I start Photobooth. As soon as I start Facetime, I can see my webcam becoming active (blue lights flashing), Finder menu bar shows Facetime, too – but the window with the video doesn't show. But: If I run Photobooth at the same time right after I launched Facetime, the Facetime video window shows all of a sudden and I can make calls. I don't know what to do. Help greatly appreciated!

Webcam: Logitech C910, using newest Logitech software

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS4

Greets,

N.

try the freeware camtwist 2.1 to activate a cam that dont comes up on its own. First launch facetime ( photobooth/ichat/QTX recorder whatever problematic app ) , then launch camtwist and doubleclick the webcam as source, then you can close camtwist as soon as the video is inside the apple app working. I use it for my internal uvc cam in all apples apps and this trick does it.

try the freeware camtwist 2.1 to activate a cam that dont comes up on its own. First launch facetime ( photobooth/ichat/QTX recorder whatever problematic app ) , then launch camtwist and doubleclick the webcam as source, then you can close camtwist as soon as the video is inside the apple app working. I use it for my internal uvc cam in all apples apps and this trick does it.

awesome. will try as soon as I'm home :( thanks alot! :D

just tried, camtwist didn't solve the problem. when I start camtwist right after I launched facetime and doubleclick "webcam", the facetime-video-window comes up, but the video is pixelated (tried all kinds of different settings in camtwist - for example if I force a resolution, the video freezes) and no matter what I do in the options, I have to launch camtwist every time again after I launched facetime to get video. same situation as with photobooth but pixelated :( anyway, thanks for your help! :)

I think I solved it. dunno exactly what did the trick, but the only two things I changed were 1.) flagging the partition of snow leopard on my second SSD inactive (been active before) whilst flagging the win7-partition on the same drive as active and 2.) exchanging the AppleHDA.kext with one from an lion installer package and using another kext for the ALC889a. voilá, facetime window opens everytime I start the app :)